• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My 2nd GS race. What do you all think?

kaccyukun

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, my first time using this forum, and not sure if this is the right place to post this but.
I just had my 2nd GS race in my life and my 1st run was like 18/60th-ish time, but I fell at the 2nd run and got a DNF...
Anyways, what do u guys think about my first run?
What can I improve?

Sorry for the video quality...
And my final result was 54th btw..

Attachments

• Screen Recording 2024-01-18 at 11.26.02 PM.mov
    25.1 MB · Views: 0

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll jump in, only because you've received no replies.

Seems like a good start. Racing tends to favor a float in the transition, and a relatively short pressure phase. Shorter than in typical recreational skiing. I would work on increasing angulation to tighten the turn where you're coming around the gate, aiming for as clean a carve as possible. Practice it in your free skiing, the ability to rapidly change the turn radius. In the initiation phase, you'll be required to incline into the turn by just the right amount to put you in balance when, later in the turn, you tighten the radius. To achieve this, there's no substitute for experimentation and experience.

Tactically, you can get closer to the gates, especially coming around the bottoms of the gates. A more direct line will be faster, if it's clean.

I hope race coaches can offer more detailed--and better qualified--advice.

Disinterested

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think you did better on the steep with the larger offset and as it got tighter you had a hard time getting the ski on edge and engaged early enough to make the turn without having a big late spike in pressure and some loss of speed and line directness. So probably the quicker the tempo of the course gets the more important it is going to be to feel the front-inside edge of the outside ski as you approach the rise line above the gate.

Sponsor