• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Movies, favs and duds

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a movie, but we enjoyed the limited series "All The Light You Cannot See" on Netflix.

Superb book, also!

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
since 2020, I keep going back to the last two-thirds of Seabiscuit -

Butch and Sundance remains a favorite though I don't watch it anymore
( Dances with Wolves, similarly

( " now, how come he don't write? ' ( Timmons. the mule driver ) has become a lasting, favorite line ) )

Butch and Sundance - Newman and Redford - icons of my lifetime...

and again, from the other similar thread,
Rocky.
and Rocky III ( Mr.T and, 'Eye of the tiger' ).

though for me, 2006's RockyBalboa put a nice Close on the franchise.

Sylvester Stallone. Rocky and Rambo ( seems like there is a third franchise ) and a whole series of leading roles. a lot of forgettable movies, but he has worked.
I respect his career.

another movie I have enjoyed repeatedly over the last five years is 'Open Range' with Duvall, Costner, and AnnetteBenning.
The first two-thirds, and the final scene, have a nice storytelling touch to me.

Thank you for this thread.

skiJ

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Belated response to the request for Aussie westerns: The Proposition. Pretty brutal, but those were brutal times, and an absolutely incandescent cast. Also, Quickly Down Under: much more lighter, but might be Tom Selleck at his peak. Ok, Quigley's a bit of a hybrid Aussie-US thing.

Can't believe no one's mentioned The Fifth Element yet.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last Night's Dud: RIPD with Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds.

Old, but popped up as recommended for you, and we thought it might be fun.

It either needed to be a lot better, or a lot worse. Either would have worked. :ogbiggrin:

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just watched a week+ back Field of Dreams, but a few days later caught on Svengooli, "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" ...

these are opposite sides of the spectrum, didn't make it through Killer Klowns ...

cast of Killer Klowns had a good number of recognizable actors ...

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
"Hey, Fozzie, I want you to turn left if you come to a fork in the road." The image that formed in my head when Kermit said that was replicated seconds later on screen exactly as I had imagined it.

I was having trouble articulating to my wife why I didn't want to see Pearl Harbor. So we went and saw it, on Sept 10, 2001. The next day she understood why I didn't want to go.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
, or a lot worse. Either would have worked. :ogbiggrin:

Challenge accepted. I present to you ... Turkish Star Wars (not the actual title)

Yes, all the space effects shots were literally ripped off - in one night! - from a projection copy of The New Hope. Extra credit for picking up on the movie soundtracks that were ripped off.

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys have listed so many great movies. A couple that I haven’t seen listed; Pulp Fiction, really any Tarrentino movie. Unforgiven, I think Clint’s best western (and that’s saying something), Willy Wonka, maybe Gene Wilder’s best. But the movie I have seen the most times might be The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just watched the many saints of newark and it was pretty good. Really explained the relationship between many of the characters on the Sopranos. Heard David Chase is looking into doing a sequel to the moving showing Tony Soprano in his 20s.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oppenheimer was the best movie we've seen in a long time. As good as the book it's based upon, American Prometheus. I read that while interning at Los Alamos, which was apropos.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Three Body has dropped - love it so far.

(Though I did want Captain Shi to be more of a self-philosophising thug than they're showing him as)

The trick of showing architecture to indicate time frame of a flashback - brilliant.

We know @Tony Storaro won't be watching. Anyone else?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Barrial. Saw it last night on Amazon Prime. Very good screenplay based on an actual court case, done by an excellent cast.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Three Body has dropped - love it so far.

(Though I did want Captain Shi to be more of a self-philosophising thug than they're showing him as)

The trick of showing architecture to indicate time frame of a flashback - brilliant.

We know @Tony Storaro won't be watching. Anyone else?
Haven't heard of it, will look it up!

Sponsor

Staff online