• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mounting Point - 1960's Head SL - 210 -- Really!

ID_Shop_Guy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So, I run a shop up here in Idaho. We have one of those customers who came across an old, old, pair of 1960's Head Standard SL - 210cm. Edges are completely rusted through and through - they will be pitted to the core once we get the rust off. Well, the customer wants to relive his young days (he's in his 60's), and have us mount and bring these back to life. It's a challenge, but we will have a much easier time mounting and tuning these than he will trying to make these turn. But it is people like this that I love to watch bringing back the excitement of times long ago, keeping it fun. He is well aware that these will not be more than a run down the hill, straight into the lodge, then up on the wall.

I am looking for the best position to place the boot. Chord Center - 7cm? \ Met Head at Center of Base Contact? \ 55% of running base in front of boot center? I've been doing this since the mid-80's, and the DIN standard killed the old bale throw bindings that were originally on these skis. I have even looked through our ski museum at the numerous Head skis to see if I could ascertain a roughestimate based on the bindings on them. Any suggestions?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I'd take a look at how boot toe at mid-ski looked, it should be awful close to 'right'.

TS
I

ID_Shop_Guy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just so happened that a friend who worked here in the 70's came in, and knew it right off.
Mark Chord Center
Reference boot size is 31cm sole. If mounting a 300mm boot, center on chord center. Move fore or aft based on 50% of the difference in BSL (If BSL is 320mm move center point forward 5mm).

We'll see how it goes. Almost done getting the rust off the edges.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
As memory serves (and that was a LONG time ago) we mounted toe at mid cord. Yes, I was mounting skis by 67.
Do they have the "slalom" in small or large font? Head changed to large font about 65.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Post before and after photos when done. I have a pair of K2 comp 710 I can still ski without danger :)

Sponsor

Staff online