• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mount point recommendation for 3D snow

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

Need to (re)mount some Fischer Hannibal 96, 162cm ski’s. They have moderate tip rocker, and minimal tail rocker.
These skis will be used by both my wife and daughter, who are the same height [~5’8”) and boot size currently, so skis are about nose height for them.
Due to overlap with old holes, choice would be about +10mm or -10mm from recomended mount line. The ski also has lines at -5,-10 and -15mm.

These will be their touring ski’s so not worried about high speed stabilty.
They will be skied at slow to moderate speed. Mostly thinking that:
I know moving the mount point back will help with float in deep snow, but if we end up with a bigger boot for my daughter in future, that will move the boot center even further back(although I gues only 5mm per boot size, so made not something to worry about.)

What about turn initiation at slow speed In deep snow?
What about pivoting/starving the tails in deep snow or crust?
Mostly looking for the easiest, most forgiving set up for my daughter.
Would the forward or rearward mount point be better for any of those considerations?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should clarify, with touring I meant backcounty, alpine touring, i.o.w. skinning up and skiing down.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, Cantamunch, I think just to be safe, I will be a few mm back, so as to truly have two separate holes, I would worry that overlapping the holes, even with epoxy and some fiber, would make it hard to drill properly and perhaps weak. It might end up less than -10mm.

i agree, people should be out skiing, but there were other comments going on. Mostly wondering if anyone knew what the general effects of moving mount point was.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Moving the mounting point too far back will make uphills harder; moving the mounting point too far forward will make the ski fussy about how turns are finished.

Sponsor

Staff online