• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mount point for '23 Kendo 88? Don't go forward?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dearest awesome people of skitalk!

Pulled the trigger on cheap late season '23 Kendo 88's. Hoping to rip them around a bit this coming weekend.

Normally I seem happiest on skis mounted +1 to +2cm forward from the line. But searching the webs a bit for mount point I found two bits of info. Two separate people mounted +1 or +2; they independently complained of "twitchy/sketchy compared to previous versions" and "lacks high speed stability."

These comments gave me pause. I know that many if not most of you prefer you skis sketchy and unstable at speed, but I like my skis predictable and stable.

Since the Kendo 88 gets so much love in general for being predictable and stable going fast, are the above noted dissentions because of the forward mounting?

Would I be silly to mount mine a few ticks forward? Bought the 184cm's if that helps.

Thank you!!!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My response is not worth much...but here it is: I skied my friend's Kendo 170's mounted on the line. They seemed perfect, not sketchy or unstable. Instead, they seemed just right: quick, responsive, stable. If I were to buy the ski, I wouldn't muck with the recommended mount point.

But everyone is different, and ski lengths may affect things differently.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I concur. I demoed the 22/23 Kendo 88 at both 170 and 1777, on the line, and loved them. Very stable. Not twitchy at all. (me 150 lb./5'10).
But the longer 184 I have not tried, and it might be more uncertain on mount point for some, not sure.

Your size would matter, with regard to moving them forward. If you are smaller, you might get away with moving them a bit forward.
But most current Volkls are not really designed for moving very much forward or back, since a very little such movement
goes a long way with them, more than many other brand skis.

Using demo bindings would allow you to safely experiment with your mount point, but otherwise, I'd guess forward one at most
unless you are under, say, 125 lbs.

On twitchiness, these skis carve on a dime at the lengths I tried, so they are not meant for SG riding the rails with little turning.
The turn radius is 3D, so versatile for different turn shapes, but still, the 177 is only r 16 down from 17 the previous year, so it's designed
for at least short GS kinds of turns - or shorter. And it would be happiest when carving some kind of turn, fast or slow.
Not as stable straight-lining, I'd guess.

I did not try the 184, but I have to think it would be even more stable, with a slightly longer turn at least. Still, since it's a Volkl,
I myself would mount them on the line, unless I really wanted to make them a touch more turny,
and was willing to risk the ski being less dialed in as a result.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Useful info on both counts, much appreciated.

On the line it is, let the complicated sidecut perform as designed.

thanks! Really looking forward to skiing them in some spring conditions.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
My response is similar. I love this ski on the line and have skied it a lot this year even with all the snow in Utah.

I am on 184s and have not experimented with pushing them forward but I am a pretty traditional skier.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the line.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I had mine on the line, then I went up a shell size & am ~5mm behind the line. I plan on remounting @ +1 or 2cm. Behind the line made em ski terrible.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
*peers at BF* didntcha have a thread on working hard to ski more freestyle than you already do?

PS I want credit for not opening the

can of worms ;)
ski pic.jpg

Headed to Hintertux..... so on the line until after that.

Sponsor