• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mount point confusion

fuzzypete

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Got the shorter BlackOps 118 this season. (5'6" 145lbs). Was in a rush, never mentioned anything about mount points, when I picked them and took a picture next to my old skis, i noticed how these skis seemed mounted quite center compared to my old skis. Now, different skis, etc.. But, when I checked the boot, it sure seemed like they were mounted more like +2 than on recommended, or aft. My old skis (same shop but years ago) seemed to be mounted more like -2... I never asked for anything specific for those either.. I don't think the BlackOps mount is "wrong", but I asked the shop owner and he looked at this pic and said they were mounted boot sole center on recommended. (i have the toothpick at the A| on my boot)

What am i missing?

mounted-boot.jpeg

skis.jpeg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Look like they are +2-2.5cm of rec and a bit behind the progressive mount which is plus 3cm on that ski.
Bet they mounted those skis true center of the ski which is usually more for mostly park/skiing switch often skiers. Will be very easy to pivot there but will sacrifice stability and float there compared to mounting closer to the -3cm Directional line.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It depends on your size and skiing style, but the shorter one, to me, benefits from mounting farther back if you are a directional skier,
more so than the longer version. Just how far back is something I can't tell you - it would vary depending on your skier profile and
what you experience with it.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Take home lesson: always talk to the staff about mount point before mounting, making sure they understand your unique desires and style.
Not intended as a criticism, as I never did back when I had shops mount my skis. Could explain why I never took a shine to some very popular skis back then .......

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Forget the rec line on the skis…. Can you measure the mount from true center on each ski?

I made this error myself this season. Was sent a test ski & just had shop mount up at rec. The manufacturer rec line ended up being 3cm forward of where I had assumed it would be. Radically changes the feel.

TS
F

fuzzypete

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Take home lesson: always talk to the staff about mount point before mounting, making sure they understand your unique desires and style.
Not intended as a criticism, as I never did back when I had shops mount my skis. Could explain why I never took a shine to some very popular skis back then .......
Oh yeah, definitely agree and would harp on this for everyone i talk with going forward.. NEVER .. take anything for granted.. without direction, ski tech could be like . "sweet sticks .. i love lots of spin and switch work, so lemme mount them that way here... "

Sponsor

Staff online