• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motive 95 Toe Piece Re-Mount

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've become convinced that I'd enjoy my Motive 95s even more if I were just a wee bit further forward. It's been a LONG time since I personally mounted a binding, so a question:

What is the least distance I can move the toe pieces forward without the mount holes being too close to each other?

I'm looking for 10 mm -- I think! -- but want to make sure that won't be too close to the existing holes.

Thanks in advance to the DIY experts on this forum!

NOTES:

1. Motives have two layers of metal.

2. I've got enough "track" on the heel pieces that remounting them won't be necessary.

3. Bindings are Atack 13s.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
10mm should be the sweet spot of far enough to get out of the old holes, and not so far that that back holes are crossing with the front holes.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
10mm should be the sweet spot of far enough to get out of the old holes, and not so far that that back holes are crossing with the front holes.

Thanks, Josh, I appreciate it.

I know you mount a lot of skis!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious what you hope to accomplish by moving forward?

I just feel like I'm a tiny bit behind the sweet spot on the ski (Motive 95 in 186 cm).

FWIW, not the first time I've felt this way about a ski.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I just feel like I'm a tiny bit behind the sweet spot on the ski (Motive 95 in 186 cm).

FWIW, not the first time I've felt this way about a ski.

I felt that way on my Laser Ax's and since I didn't want to re-drill yet I played with the binding delta until the sweet spot was at the ball of my foot.

Thankfully, my Motives work well for me on the line.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
.. since I didn't want to re-drill yet I played with the binding delta until the sweet spot was at the ball of my foot.

Details on this approach?

Certainly worth entertaining a solution that does NOT involve drilling more holes in the ski!

Could it be related to differing deltas between the hated Marker Griffons on most of my skis and the Atack 13s on the Motives?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
You can test it out by placing a few layers of duct tape between the afd and toe of your boot or under your heel to see how it feels. I believe you can get away with about 3mm stuffed in there. I actually wrapped a piece of plastic with duct tape that measured 3mm that I could slide in and out to feel the difference. Very noticeable for me.

The hard part for me was finding longer binding screws once I made a shims for permanent use.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can test it out by placing a few layers of duct tape between the afd and toe of your boot or under your heel to see how it feels. I believe you can get away with about 3mm stuffed in there. I actually wrapped a piece of plastic with duct tape that measured 3mm that I could slide in and out to feel the difference. Very noticeable for me.

The hard part for me was finding longer binding screws once I made a shims for permanent use.

Thanks. Seems pretty straightforward.

If I feel like I'd like to be a bit forward on the ski, should I start with a shim under the heel or toe, in your opinion?

Sponsor

Staff online