• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How was that Zin?
And what was the middle one? The name is a little off-putting.
zin was good. the middle one is orin swift "abstract red". It has a different taste profile. For awhile there were a few style imitators but I haven't seen one in awhile.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
After dinner dessert wine and Cab we had with steak dinner we shared with my Mom who my wife and I had been making sure she is eating well as sister who lives on her property had knee replacement and is staying with her daughter. Both were excellent. Closing Bell (link to 2020 version), from the warmest part of Monterey County, was very hard to open. Scheid exclusively uses screw-top closures on their wines, but not on Closing Bell that combines two Portuguese grapes with Tempranillo. The corked top had been dipped in wax and side of cork also had gotten attached to the bottle. I got through the cork with corkscrews, but it wasn't coming out, so I poured it through screened aerator into a glass. After cleaning bottle with a brush, I poured the half-bottle we did not drink last night back into it.
8140ClosingBellDecoy.JPG 8141ClosingBellBack.JPG

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
After dinner dessert wine and Cab we had with steak dinner we shared with my Mom who my wife and I had been making sure she is eating well as sister who lives on her property had knee replacement and is staying with her daughter. Both were excellent. Closing Bell (link to 2020 version), from the warmest part of Monterey County, was very hard to open. Scheid exclusively uses screw-top closures on their wines, but not on Closing Bell that combines two Portuguese grapes with Tempranillo. The corked top had been dipped in wax and side of cork also had gotten attached to the bottle. I got through the cork with corkscrews, but it wasn't coming out, so I poured it through screened aerator into a glass. After cleaning bottle with a brush, I poured the half-bottle we did not drink last night back into it.
View attachment 223002 View attachment 223003
Interesting way to label the dessert wine. In Portugal, Tempranillo is called tinta roriz or aragonez. Why call two of them by their Portuguese name and one of them by its Spanish name? I guess that is what the vines were labeled as when planted probably. Still seems odd to me.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Full disclosure: This is a friend of mine. He gave me the bottle for helping him out with something. 1706588767570.png

One of the best Pinots I have had in a long time. Tastes like 2000 in the best way possible. CA winemakers had discovered "ripe" pinot but had not yet discovered "syrah jr". His day job is Bremer Vineyards where he makes great Cab, Chard, and Sauv Blanc.

This is really small production stuff. But damn, my friend really impressed me with this one:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wine disaster at Taos!
I had a few bottles to take dinner after skiing. Since I thought it might be too cold in the car, I put them in my boot bag. in the boot up room, I was g I ING to put my bag in cubby. u set my bag on the bench as I reorganized the stuff I already had in the cubby.
But it didn't occur to me that the wine made my bag top-heavy. it roll off the bench, the heavy bottle landed on another, and my bag starts bleeding! (wine that is).
I ran into the bathroom and opened my bag in the sink. A lot of my stuff stayed dry.
Many thanks to the Taos staff for helping me clean up.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wine disaster at Taos!
I had a few bottles to take dinner after skiing. Since I thought it might be too cold in the car, I put them in my boot bag. in the boot up room, I was g I ING to put my bag in cubby. u set my bag on the bench as I reorganized the stuff I already had in the cubby.
But it didn't occur to me that the wine made my bag top-heavy. it roll off the bench, the heavy bottle landed on another, and my bag starts bleeding! (wine that is).
I ran into the bathroom and opened my bag in the sink. A lot of my stuff stayed dry.
Many thanks to the Taos staff for helping me clean up.
Wow, that is a typographical mess. In my defense, the whole post was written during one chair 2 ride.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wow, that is a typographical mess. In my defense, the whole post was written during one chair 2 ride.

Oh! We thought it was written in the throes of embarrassment, wine fumes and cortisol/stress reaction. Also, things like this need to be reported to the collective immediately. Not after you're seated on the lift.

-4 Internet points ;)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
If you are going to eat the perfect food, you might as well drink a perfect wine.

PXL_20240204_040817370.jpg

This is the second and last bottle of this wine. We shared the first one with a very good friend almost 10 years ago, and I was afraid this second one could be going down hill, but boy. Was I wrong. Dusty, ridiculously beautiful nose, and deep, deep flavors. How can you have such a dry and long finish? Good figure. Unforgettable wine. Mendieta 94 right now

:yahoo:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Surely Lagrein is one of the "hiding in plain sight" greats. This young riserva was just stunning. In particular it doesn't strike me as something that requires acquiring a taste, in the way that Nebbiolo, for example, may for North Americans. Certainly this example had dark lush fruit and was structured like a Bordeaux, albeit with a different flavor profile.

1000000936-01.jpeg

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I visited a friend with an extensive collection who treated me very well over the course of a few days around my birthday.

The left most 07 CDP was the standout winner while the Bordeaux in the middle was a dud.

Attachments

• PXL_20240110_031444160.jpg
    PXL_20240110_031444160.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 10
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just how cheap is wine in the Dolomites? Very cheap. This is a list of most of the bottles our group drank at dinners in our first hotel. (They were charged to my room so I was settling up expenses this morning and thought readers of this thread might be interested.)

1707581858368.png

Sponsor

Staff online