• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Montero AX Length Recommendation

KSki01

Booting up
Skier
Hey ya'll, I recently purchased a 173 CM Montero AX, from the recommendations of my Ski Shop and the Stockli website. I am 5 ft 9 and 160 pounds, advanced skier. Do you think I should size down? Would it be noticeable maneuverability? I found the Ski's at Mardens in Maine at 50% Off, and thought I couldn't pass it up :) I've demo'd the 173's and my wife thought I looked fine, however the ski's felt that it took a bit of effort to turn, it could of been my 90 Flex boots, which I've since upgraded to 130, so I am hoping that with my new boots it should help flex the ski, and make for a fun, maneuverable stable ride.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the ski's felt that it took a bit of effort to turn, it could of been my 90 Flex boots, which I've since upgraded to 130, so I am hoping that with my new boots it should help flex the ski, and make for a fun, maneuverable stable ride.

Good luck with the new boots. 90 to 130 is a big jump. More important than flex is the boot fit.

Check the tune of the ski coming out of the wrapper. Was not impressed by the last 5 pairs of new Stockli past few years. Both base bevel and side edge angles should be consistent for the entire length of the ski.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First,
I own a pair of 168 laser ax (yellow) and I have also demoed a pair of new 173 Montero ax from the reps tent at a demo event, as well as doing a swap with my friends montero 173 for half day.

I'm 5'6" 155lb and could ski both confidently and make short turns fine and relatively effortlessly with either. So I don't think the 173 is oversized, that length is well within your human body parameters. So the shop made a good rec, but it is up to you what turn shapes you like to ski . This may depend how the ski fits into quiver-what are your other skis and which ski you intend to take out for the types of skiing you intend for that day
There may also be a skills/technique issue where you need to unlock some new skill that you never knew you were missing, or perhaps you just will never get along with this ski.
I'm sure you will be able to find a buyer for the ski should you not want it though.

If you really don't want to change and want an effortless turn in, you may want to checkout elan with their amphibio designs.

I will make a small note that to me, the montero 173 did feel like it skied a bit shorter for its number only in comparison to my older laser which feels like skied a bit longer than its number. I personally would get the Montero ax 173 over the 168 should I be replacing in my quiver.

Last edited:
TS
KSki01

KSki01

Booting up
Skier
Good luck with the new boots. 90 to 130 is a big jump. More important than flex is the boot fit.

Check the tune of the ski coming out of the wrapper. Was not impressed by the last 5 pairs of new Stockli past few years. Both base bevel and side edge angles should be consistent for the entire length of the ski.
I was in need of a stiffer boot, I added a bolt to the back of the 90's to increase the stiffness and moved the top buckle one peg to get decent responsiveness. The Nordica Speedmachine 130s, are very comfortable for my foot out of the box, looking forward to skiing in them.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I had the laser AXs in 175 and 168 (I think - somewhere in that range). They are my everyday drivers as an instructor. I'm 180 pounds, lots of gym time, maybe 20 + hours of combined activity per week be it mtn biking, road biking, gym, aggressive hikes, trail running, rowing a drift boat, etc.

Both worked well. However the shorter skis were just a bit more playful, with a bit more positive edge engagement. They were my keepers. I'm most often skiing at Purg, Snowmass or Telluride.

What @raytseng said above. I like shorter turn radius skis. Let your turn radius preference dictate. If you are on smaller terrain, that could be the driver of your decision. 4,000' vertical - get the longer skis.

Boots don't turn skis. Let your balance and power come from internal origins, not external.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In what way? Apparently reviews state that the Flex is more a 120 than 130.

A 130 boot is usually a performance boot. Out of the box performance fit without some sort of work is rare. Usually meant the boot is too big.

TS
KSki01

KSki01

Booting up
Skier
A 130 boot is usually a performance boot. Out of the box performance fit without some sort of work is rare. Usually meant the boot is too big.
Ah, gothca. The Nordica Line has a narrower "Race" performance version called the Promachine, with a 98MM Last, The Speedmachine is a 100MM last, similar to my Tecnica Mach 1. I've worn the new ones around the house, no issues, we'll see how that changes on snow and if I'll need to set an appointment with a boot fitter.

TS
KSki01

KSki01

Booting up
Skier
I had the laser AXs in 175 and 168 (I think - somewhere in that range). They are my everyday drivers as an instructor. I'm 180 pounds, lots of gym time, maybe 20 + hours of combined activity per week be it mtn biking, road biking, gym, aggressive hikes, trail running, rowing a drift boat, etc.

Both worked well. However the shorter skis were just a bit more playful, with a bit more positive edge engagement. They were my keepers. I'm most often skiing at Purg, Snowmass or Telluride.

What @raytseng said above. I like shorter turn radius skis. Let your turn radius preference dictate. If you are on smaller terrain, that could be the driver of your decision. 4,000' vertical - get the longer skis.

Boots don't turn skis. Let your balance and power come from internal origins, not external.
Dang Marty, I thought I was active! Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Maine, and plan to Ski a local hill with 1300 vertical drop most of the time. I did also purchase a Head Ski with a 13 meter turning radius that I can use when I want to take a lot more turns on the hill.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you demoed the skis and you felt they were an effort to turn, and you think it was because of the size, I think you've answered your own question. At 160 lbs, it seems to me like like the 173cm should ski fine for you though, but maybe there's something going on with your technique where a shorter ski would be a better fit. For reference, I'm 190 lbs and ski the 178cm Montero AXs - I'm happy with them, but if I was buying again I would probably get the next size up.

It's also worth checking the tune. The two pairs of Stocklis I bought last winter (AXs and WRT Pros) both had very flat bases and consistent base and side edge bevels right out of the wrapper. A bad tune on the demos though could have been the reason they felt cumbersome to you, and if you do get the 173s, you should make sure you're happy with the tune before you ski them so at least you can then take the tune out of the equation when you're evaluating whether you made the right choice on the skis.

TS
KSki01

KSki01

Booting up
Skier
You bring up a good point about my weight. I am 160lbs now, when I skied them, I was road biking often, daily Peloton, and running often. (I love cardio) I've since gotten a PT, and focused on weight training after turning 40, hence the weight gain. So we'll see... I'm going to keep the 173's, and ride it out.

I'll get 100% get them tuned when I have the bindings mounted.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, gothca. The Nordica Line has a narrower "Race" performance version called the Promachine, with a 98MM Last, The Speedmachine is a 100MM last, similar to my Tecnica Mach 1. I've worn the new ones around the house, no issues, we'll see how that changes on snow and if I'll need to set an appointment with a boot fitter.

Way too much mumble jumbo and number tossed about.
It's much easier to make a boot larger than smaller.

FWIW, I'm on skis 100+ days every season. I range from #150 to #165. My Laser Ax is 168. Out west, 95+% of the winter.

Looks like you have already made up your mind and simply looking for validation.
Good luck.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Dang Marty, I thought I was active! Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Maine, and plan to Ski a local hill with 1300 vertical drop most of the time. I did also purchase a Head Ski with a 13 meter turning radius that I can use when I want to take a lot more turns on the hill.

Thanks. I typically spend two nights per week in the Weminuchi Wilderness area. Three days of carry a pack at high altitude goes a long way to putting a dent in those 20 hours.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
KSki, I'm a bit bigger than you, 5-11/170, and I like my AX 173 a lot. You make a good point, the shorter skis will have both a 1 meter tighter turn radius and more flexibility, again for tighter turns. The question is whether they'll have enough backbone if you are a hard charger. I also like a turny ski--when conditions allow I'm on my 66mm/12M skis. I've had two new Stöckli models. One had such a coarse structure that a grind really helped them. The Montero comes with unusual edge angles...1.5° bottom edges and (?) 2° sides if memory serves. For me they really needed a bottom edge grind and the edge angles I like (0.7 & 3).

But, you said, "...the skis felt that it took a bit of effort to turn...." If you didn't love them, get something different. The 168 might be just right for you.

Those boots...as your feet break in to the new boots (we know everyone gets it backwards about boots breaking in) you might need some adjustments. A few people get a great fit off the shelf. The rest of us need some boot fitter magic for that great fit. There will be some break in as the liner foam molds to your feet & ankles, and maybe rebuckling will be all you need, lucky guy.

Last edited:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey ya'll, I recently purchased a 173 CM Montero AX, from the recommendations of my Ski Shop and the Stockli website. I am 5 ft 9 and 160 pounds, advanced skier. Do you think I should size down? Would it be noticeable maneuverability? I found the Ski's at Mardens in Maine at 50% Off, and thought I couldn't pass it up :) I've demo'd the 173's and my wife thought I looked fine, however the ski's felt that it took a bit of effort to turn, it could of been my 90 Flex boots, which I've since upgraded to 130, so I am hoping that with my new boots it should help flex the ski, and make for a fun, maneuverable stable ride.
Are you kidding me?! They had Stockli's in that sale!?? I got there ONE freaking day late and there was jack s--- left. It was like a bunch of Pirahna's attacking a carcass. If that sale was any indication of what we're going to see on the mountains this year, its going to be Jerry season 2.0.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you kidding me?! They had Stockli's in that sale!?? I got there ONE freaking day late and there was jack s--- left. It was like a bunch of Pirahna's attacking a carcass. If that sale was any indication of what we're going to see on the mountains this year, its going to be Jerry season 2.0.
I hear you, man.

After hearing about this I stopped in there last night and it was ... like you said. I DID notice that there were some ski clothes and accessories that looked a bit less picked-over. Just a bit. They had three sets of Thermic boot heaters for $349 - 40%, for example.

On the other hand, clothes and accessories at 40 - 50% off full retail is not necessarily an earth-shaking discount, considering how high full retail is.

TS
KSki01

KSki01

Booting up
Skier
KSki, I'm a bit bigger than you, 5-11/170, and I like my AX 173 a lot. You make a good point, the shorter skis will have both a 1 meter tighter turn radius and more flexibility, again for tighter turns. The question is whether they'll have enough backbone if you are a hard charger. I also like a turny ski--when conditions allow I'm on my 66mm/12M skis. I've had two new Stöckli models. One had such a coarse structure that a grind really helped them. The Montero comes with unusual edge angles...1.5° bottom edges and (?) 2° sides if memory serves. For me they really needed a bottom edge grind and the edge angles I like (0.7 & 3).

But, you said, "...the skis felt that it took a bit of effort to turn...." If you didn't love them, get something different. The 168 might be just right for you.

Those boots...as your feet break in to the new boots (we know everyone gets it backwards about boots breaking in) you might need some adjustments. A few people get a great fit off the shelf. The rest of us need some boot fitter magic for that great fit. There will be some break in as the liner foam molds to your feet & ankles, and maybe rebuckling will be all you need, lucky guy.
What are you recommendations I can give the tuner for edge angels? I have no clue and typically leave it upto them.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What are you recommendations I can give the tuner for edge angels? I have no clue and typically leave it upto them.
I think the tune is dependent on how you plan to use them.

I had my Laser AXs at 1* base / 3* side, and I thought they skied well with that tune. I replaced them with Montero AXs because the Monteros were a little more oriented to all mountain than the Lasers (a fraction wider, slightly more rocker) and I wanted to use this slot in my quiver more as a narrow 50/50 ski for days when it hasn't snowed much but off piste is still skiable, rather than the Lasers which I saw as more as a 80/20 ski. I went with a 1* base / 2 side* tune for the Monteros and have been happy with that.

Sponsor

Staff online