• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Missed Concert Opportunities- Now Too Late

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK, what artists/bands do you wish you had seen before the artist died? I'm not talking about the time machine go back in time to whern you were 5 to see Jimi Hentrix or Hank Williams Sr type stuff. Who did you have ample opportunity to see play live who has now passed away? I'll list my top 5 regrets in no particular order.
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Tom Petty
The Clash/Joe Strummer
Led Zeppelin/John Bohnam
David Bowie

Will regret if they don't play together again before it's too late
Van Halen original lineup.. Offered ticket to 1984 tour at cost.. DOH!!!
Supertramp Offered ticket to 1985 tour at cost.. DOH!!!
Greenday
Pink Floyd
Spinal Tap (yes that's a joke hahaha)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Stevie Ray Vaughn used to go to my high school employer's house for BBQ before playing locally, I was invited 4 years in a row and had "better things to do" each time... oops.
Oak Cliff? Never imagined you used to be a Texan..

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Queen, Pink Floyd, Boston, many more

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a chance to see The Talking Heads, tickets and everything...but I had date that night. Never saw Bruce when I was back east, I would have liked to see him. Pink Floyd would have been good to see too. Billy Joel, but it would have had to be in a smaller place, not an arena.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Since we are talking about dead musicians I would like to have seen Clarence Clements the sax player for the E Street Band. Yes we all know that they are the backup band for Bruce Springsteen who as of today is still alive.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Queen, Metallica. I tried to get tickets to the 1984 Van Halen tour with Roth but missed out. I did see them on the 5150 tour.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Queen, Metallica. I tried to get tickets to the 1984 Van Halen tour with Roth but missed out. I did see them on the 5150 tour.
Sorry @TheArchitect, I saw VH on the 1984 tour and then caught an Eddie pick on 5150. First time I saw Metallica was their Master of Puppets tour when they opened for Ozzy.

i passed on the chance to catch Johnny Cash at the LA House of Blues with a buddy having tickets already.:(

8AD958BB-7806-4E4A-BFF1-3CEC96777B8A.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Elvis. I was in high school when he came to town about a year before his death. I almost bought a ticket just to see a legend but thought “I will wait until next time”.
Me too. I had an occasional part time job in college (Univ of MD) where I was paid $10 per show to be an usher at campus concerts. I was living on campus and was offered the chance to work when Elvis gave two shows, 9/27/74 and 9/28/74, at Cole Fieldhouse. I'd always been a fan as a little kid, but he was somewhat passé at that point and I was more into hard rock so I went home for the weekend instead :doh:
Found this photo on the web labeled Elvis Aaron Presley, September 28, 1974, University of Maryland, College Park, MD:
80b26ea8a667d8e1857e3507d455e0d7.jpg

PS: I saw the Allman Brothers around this time, but missed seeing Duane by two years after his fatal motorcycle accident in 1971.

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The Beatles.
Had chances, but didn't take them.
Back in 1979/1980 my parents got my sister and me tickets to go see the OG Tribute Band Beatlemania. We thought it was kind of lame at the time and tribute bands weren't all the rage back then that they seem to be now. But, this was a pretty big draw. We were among the youngest people in the venue. Looking back, I'm really glad we went. I still have the program stashed somewhere.. Looks exactly like this
1590941293925.png

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevie Ray is my regret ... but not because I didn't go. I saw him in college in Austin, but was too "colleged" to really remember it. And he's my fave.

Prince is the other. He isn't really a fave, but what a live show that would have been. It was in a small theater in Denver, very $$$$, but I should have sucked it up.

scott43

Skier
Stevie Ray is my regret ... but not because I didn't go. I saw him in college in Austin, but was too "colleged" to really remember it. And he's my fave.

Prince is the other. He isn't really a fave, but what a live show that would have been. It was in a small theater in Denver, very $$$$, but I should have sucked it up.
Colleged... Heh....

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Well that would pretty much disqualify every concert I went to until age 30. IMHO you should get extra credit.

scott43

Skier
Sorry @TheArchitect, I saw VH on the 1984 tour and then caught an Eddie pick on 5150. First time I saw Metallica was their Master of Puppets tour when they opened for Ozzy.

i passed on the chance to catch Johnny Cash at the LA House of Blues with a buddy having tickets already.:(

View attachment 103575
True story..I saw Johnny Cash when I was a tyke back in like 1975.. barely remember it.. But I do remember it..

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh man, how could I forget this one: the famous U2 concert at Red Rocks in 83. I had a ticket. My mom made me sell it, I can't remember why exactly but it had to do with having to be somewhere really early the next day. The weather was all crappy and I remember thinking it would probably be moved or postponed or something anyway. Missed a legendary show for sure.

scott43

Skier
Oh man, how could I forget this one: the famous U2 concert at Red Rocks in 83. I had a ticket. My mom made me sell it, I can't remember why exactly but it had to do with having to be somewhere really early the next day. The weather was all crappy and I remember thinking it would probably be moved or postponed or something anyway. Missed a legendary show for sure.
Made for a great album. 11o'clock tick tock. Only U2 album I bought.

Sponsor