• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Gathering @ Laurel Mountain / Seven Springs, Feb 7 to 9 2020

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
images

The Mid-Atlantic Gathering will be held at Laurel Mountain / Seven Springs Feb. 7 to 9, 2020.

The plan is to ski Seven Springs on Friday the 7th, and Laurel Mountain on the 8th, and the 9th is TBD for those that ski Sunday. This will avoid some of the Seven Springs crowding, which can be substantial on a Saturday. And this is weather and snow dependent of course and things may change as we get closer.

Lift Tickets and Morning Meet-ups
@LaurelHillCraze is working on possible deals for the group. So tickets and morning meet-up details are TBD.

Lodging Options
If small-town amenities and charm are your focus and for those looking for a more rounded après ski or family experience then make Ligonier your lodging choice. For those familiar with Stowe before the Spruce Peak development, the relationship between Laurel and Ligioner is likened to Stowe, the village and Mt. Mansfield, the ski area. Laurel Mountain is about 15 minutes away. Seven Springs about 40 min. drive. There is no on-slope lodging at Laurel. There are a few Airbnb and VRBO rentals available very close by in Laurel Mountain Village less than a mile from the lift with more lodging options within 20 minutes. Ligonier is a real town with several dining/watering hole options, a bowling alley/bar & grill, movie theater, a recreated fort with a year-round museum interpreting the French and Indian War.

You could also stay at Seven Springs. Seven Springs is a full-on 4 season resort with many accomodation options, inclduing a 7 story hotel at the base, and a condo/cabin village surrounding the ski slopes. The Springs (as we yinzers say) has several on-site bars including the infamous Foggy Goggle at the base, most with live music at some point in the day. There are health spas, indoor pools, hot tub rentals, kids and teen game room, boutique shops, a full-service ski shop, and dining options from very casual to fine dining. Add an extensive shuttle bus system to tie it all together. Oh, and a tubing hill. All of this right at the base - it very much feels like a resort. It dos tend to be expensive though - you pay for all that infrastructure and convenience.

Somerset, PA is another option. It's a medium sized town right off the PA turnpike, and capital seat of Somerset county. It's approximately a half hour drive from both Seven Springs and Laurel Mountain. So not all that close to either place, but it has a variety of hotels and restaurants that makes things easy.

Resort Details
Laurel has 1 new Skytrac (2016) fixed-grip quad and a rope tow. No park, no pipe. One lodge with a snack bar on the main floor and bar/ light menu restaurant downstairs. If natural snow is bountiful then Laurel offers the best expert terrain for the region short of Blue Knob. Total skiing acreage for Laurel with a thick natural coat would be less than 100 acres which include the unmarked glades that I know of. Snowmaking coverage is about 50%. It is a small, pretty well run area with good but limited snowmaking. The locals that are very friendly and happy to share the mountain with you. The featured slope is Lower Wildcat, 500 vertical feet at almost 30 degrees, and often a mix of groom and bumps... providing the steepest run in the area.

View of Lower Wildcat
Laurel Mountain 021717 008 ACR Conv.jpg

The contrast between Seven Springs and Laurel is drastic. Seven Springs sprawls along a ridgeline, and has 2 hi-speed 6 packs, 3 fixed-grip quads, 5 triples, 3 magic carpets, and a rope tow. The snow making at Seven Springs is impressive, with over 1000 snow guns, guaranteeing almost everything is open as long as the weather is cold. They have 40 trails totaling about 250 acres of varying difficultly, with the "North Face" side being a bit taller and steeper. There are some trees but not much, and if there's good natural snow, Laurel is the better bet for some nice mid-A glade skiing.

View of Seven Springs Base Area
Skiing 020213 009 ACR Conv.jpg

Hope to see everyone out on the slopes for the Gathering!

@LaurelHillCraze, @Coach13, @johnnyvw, @cantunamunch, @MarkP, @Philpug, @Jim Kenney, @JohnL, @kitchener, @crgildart, @Dean, @theNitza, @Johnfmh, @James, @jimmy

Last edited:

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
images

The Mid-Atlantic Gathering will be held at Laurel Mountain / Seven Springs Feb. 7 to 9, 2020.

The plan is to ski Seven Springs on Friday the 7th, and Laurel Mountain on the 8th, and the 9th is TBD for those that ski Sunday. This will avoid some of the Seven Springs crowding, which can be substantial on a Saturday. And this is weather and snow dependent of course and things may change as we get closer.

Lift Tickets and Morning Meet-ups
@LaurelHillCraze is working on possible deals for the group. So tickets and morning meet-up details are TBD.

Lodging Options
If small-town amenities and charm are your focus and for those looking for a more rounded après ski or family experience then make Ligonier your lodging choice. For those familiar with Stowe before the Spruce Peak development, the relationship between Laurel and Ligioner is likened to Stowe, the village and Mt. Mansfield, the ski area. Laurel Mountain is about 15 minutes away. Seven Springs about 40 min. drive. There is no on-slope lodging at Laurel. There are a few Airbnb and VRBO rentals available very close by in Laurel Mountain Village less than a mile from the lift with more lodging options within 20 minutes. Ligonier is a real town with several dining/watering hole options, a bowling alley/bar & grill, movie theater, a recreated fort with a year-round museum interpreting the French and Indian War.

You could also stay at Seven Springs. Seven Springs is a full-on 4 season resort with many accomodation options, inclduing a 7 story hotel at the base, and a condo/cabin village surrounding the ski slopes. The Springs (as we yinzers say) has several on-site bars including the infamous Foggy Goggle at the base, most with live music at some point in the day. There are health spas, indoor pools, hot tub rentals, kids and teen game room, boutique shops, a full-service ski shop, and dining options from very casual to fine dining. Add an extensive shuttle bus system to tie it all together. Oh, and a tubing hill. All of this right at the base - it very much feels like a resort. It dos tend to be expensive though - you pay for all that infrastructure and convenience.

Somerset, PA is another option. It's a medium sized town right off the PA turnpike, and capital seat of Somerset county. It's approximately a half hour drive from both Seven Springs and Laurel Mountain. So not all that close to either place, but it has a variety of hotels and restaurants that makes things easy.

Resort Details
Laurel has 1 new Skytrac (2016) fixed-grip quad and a rope tow. No park, no pipe. One lodge with a snack bar on the main floor and bar/ light menu restaurant downstairs. If natural snow is bountiful then Laurel offers the best expert terrain for the region short of Blue Knob. Total skiing acreage for Laurel with a thick natural coat would be less than 100 acres which include the unmarked glades that I know of. Snowmaking coverage is about 50%. It is a small, pretty well run area with good but limited snowmaking. The locals that are very friendly and happy to share the mountain with you. The featured slope is Lower Wildcat, 500 vertical feet at almost 30 degrees, and often a mix of groom and bumps... providing the steepest run in the area.

View of Lower Wildcat
View attachment 83498

The contrast between Seven Springs and Laurel is drastic. Seven Springs sprawls along a ridgeline, and has 2 hi-speed 6 packs, 3 fixed-grip quads, 5 triples, 3 magic carpets, and a rope tow. The snow making at Seven Springs is impressive, with over 1000 snow guns, guaranteeing almost everything is open as long as the weather is cold. They have 40 trails totaling about 250 acres of varying difficultly, with the "North Face" side being a bit taller and steeper. There are some trees but not much, and if there's good natural snow, Laurel is the better bet for some nice mid-A glade skiing.

View of Seven Springs Base Area
View attachment 83497

Hope to see everyone out on the slopes for the Gathering!

@LaurelHillCraze, @Coach13, @johnnyvw, @cantunamunch, @MarkP, @Philpug, @Jim Kenney, @JohnL, @kitchener, @crgildart, @Dean, @theNitza, @Johnfmh, @James, @jimmy
Edited....
I can do Seven Springs on Friday, and Laurel for at least half the day Saturday, but I’d have to drive back Saturday night because I am committed to working at my ski shop Sundays. Would be fun to meet up with this crew.

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like I’ll be skiing local that weekend. Can’t do Friday, but Saturday looks good. Would love if BK has decent terrain open on Sunday...

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Would have loved to officially add Blue Knob in the mix but they have been having problems with their snowmaking. Extrovert has not seen a snow gun for the past few seasons. I believe High Hopes from mid-mountain down did not see snowmaking last season. I think that when they add increased air pressure old lines popped. The vicious freeze/thaw cycle also kept snowmaking efforts concentrated on the intermediate "money" trails, IMHO.

I hope the new owners can make a go of it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd love to come but just a tad to far away.

Yep, it is a drive but @crgildart usually makes it because we are just that much fun to run with. :D

Yes, it requires missing work or leaving right at 4 Friday, arriving around 10pm-11pm. Ski Saturday, head out Sunday mid day or morning depending on conditions, of skiers and of terrain hahaha.

We have to drive a minimum of 3 hours for even a day trip. Driving 6 is doable as long as we have a place lined up to stay Friday and Saturday night. Some youngsters (me 30 years ago) will roll 6 up and 6 hours back for a day trip. Not in my wheelhouse anymore.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Yes, it requires missing work or leaving right at 4 Friday, arriving around 10pm-11pm. Ski Saturday, head out Sunday mid day or morning depending on conditions, of skiers and of terrain hahaha.

We have to drive a minimum of 3 hours for even a day trip. Driving 6 is doable as long as we have a place lined up to stay Friday and Saturday night. Some youngsters (me 30 years ago) will roll 6 up and 6 hours back for a day trip. Not in my wheelhouse anymore.

Indeed, a long drive. It also helps if you have cheap/free lodging. ;) I too would not blink at a 10 hour round trip from my house to Snowshoe for a day trip in my youth and mid-years. I won't even consider it now. Five years ago when T-line was really open I would still do a 6 hour round trip for a day. I still might do that if it were open. Now I do 3 hour round trips several days a week for my "local" skiing. I should have fallen in love with golf. There is one nice course 5 minutes from me and another about 10 minutes away with at least another half dozen within an hour's drive. There must be something wrong with me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's the kids... Doing some calculus..

It's a small area with ONE chairlift and almost like a private club atmosphere. Perfect place to turn kids loose to ski on their own as long as they know which run to NOT go down unless they are good. Really easy to find your crew at this place. I do know you've got a toddler too. Not sure about their ski wee or day care options. That is definitely something you need to have covered for a weekend trip.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's a small area with ONE chairlift and almost like a private club atmosphere. Perfect place to turn kids loose to ski on their own as long as they know which run to NOT go down unless they are good. Really easy to find your crew at this place. I do know you've got a toddler too. Not sure about their ski wee or day care options. That is definitely something you need to have covered for a weekend trip.

OTOH, 7Springs is as Euro as things get in the Mid-Atlantic, packed with people and a hotel onsite.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January