• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Mens slalom/carving skis

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello all,

Before potentially buying new from overseas I thought I'd throw out a want to buy post.

Im looking for a set of slalom or otherwise very short turning radius skis for use on my local 200 foot hill in Iowa.

Something like atomic redster, elan slx,...they'd all be a new experience for me!

Anyone looking to get rid of anything?

Thanks!

James

Out There
Instructor
Why would you buy new from overseas? We've got ski shops here.

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks everyone! I certainly don't intend to step on any toes. Only reason I mentioned overseas was because I like the look/specs of some elans slalom skis and I don't see them for sale anywhere here in the US.

I do have a pair of youth skis saved in a cart from skiessentials and have purchased there in the past.

Thanks all!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
European models only of Elans can be hard to find. I have one, I got it from GS Ski Tunes in Madison. :)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Great choice going with a SL type ski. I recommend however that you stick with 13 m radius and not go all the way to 11 m or smaller. The 11-m skis are a pain if you ever get a chance to ski somewhere that allows you to get to higher speeds; the 13-m skis, while not the best for bigger hills can handle it.

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks everyone! I happened across @ScotsSkier post regarding the slalom lite skis from December 2016. Very interesting indeed! The Elans I was considering certainly weren't identified as a favorite but could still potentially be just fine for me?

To be honest, as I've never skied on a ski like this, I would think any would likely serve me quite well. I'm mostly using them while the kids are practicing with the local ski club. I'm hoping to find a very economical choice.

I do plan to call Greg and will check Monod's.

Good advise on the 13m radius, thanks!

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
@BillyGoat thanks for hte offer and I'll keep that in mind. Ideally though, given my size, I think a 160 or 165 is preferable?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of very lightly used Head RD slaloms available with Head Z16 bindings on Head race plate. These are a real deal Euro (i.e factory) supplied ski, one of several pairs I had when i was on Head. I used them for about 4 races and then sold them to one of my athletes who used them for one race then, after injury, gave up slalom so haven't been used for a couple of seasons. $290 + shipping if anyone is interested.

BillyGoat

Booting up
Skier
@BillyGoat thanks for hte offer and I'll keep that in mind. Ideally though, given my size, I think a 160 or 165 is preferable?

completely understand ... I'll review the warehouse. I have another set of used WC's that are longer but I haven't prepped them for use. I really have to stop buying skis! These are in the 170 range. I'll review when I return.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Didn't you just soak up a bunch of contributors time looking for the ideal east coast ski? You were honed in on a handful of excellent models, and now you are just going to take whatever grab bag item you find?

TS
N

Nelliefj40

Putting on skis
Skier
Didn't you just soak up a bunch of contributors time looking for the ideal east coast ski? You were honed in on a handful of excellent models, and now you are just going to take whatever grab bag item you find?

No, i do have a different thread and am following the advice i got there. As i noted in that thread, im going with a two ski quiver and am using the advise in that thread (which primarily dealt with all mountain skis) to guide my all mountain ski search.

I am also using the carving ski information in that thread to help guide me in a search for a front side ski. As money is always a consideration i thought i would see if something was available on the used front.

I very much appreciate the insight you and others have provided in my other thread and do plan to use it in my buying process.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
200 foot hill? The shorter radius, the better, IMO. I've got a set of 165 cm Head iSL used less than 10 times. Not the Race Day FIS skis, but the mere mortal "citizens" version.

PM me with an offer. They are a blast. Sadly, I weigh 200 pounds and my home area is always nice, soft snow. A 65 mm ski just gouges up the slopes.

Sponsor