• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Masters Racing Training in North Tahoe?

Luqi

Booting up
Skier
Heya Happy Peeps,

I've been thinking about doing Masters racing training for the upcoming season and am wondering if you folks can help me figure a few things out.

1. Any program you would recommend for a weekend warrior in North Tahoe area? So far I've seen:
Diamond Peak: https://www.dpsef.org/page/show/2613098-masters-2016-17-
Northstar: https://www.northstarcalifornia.com/plan-your-trip/ski-and-ride-lessons/products/Masters
Squaw: https://squawalpine.com/skiing-riding/masters-program
Mt Rose might have one but last time I checked they didn't have weekend options? Also I can't seem to find the webpage anymore
Anywhere else I'm missing?
2. Equipment list. I'll probably stick with my Head Raptor 120 RS boots and my poles for now. And I guess I'll need racing skis, helmet with chin guard, and shin guard at least. Anything else I'm missing?
3. Happen to know a few spots to get cheap/used equipment?

Any info and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Luqi
The Mt rose program is dedicated masters training Thursday and Friday mornings (I hear they have a terrific coach! ). Full time program members also have opportunities to train with U16/U19s at weekends. A great value and quality program with a great bunch of masters. Daily drop in options for Thursday and Friday. ( absolutely no bias here...)

Diamond peak has weekend options BUT their Masters program does not have a dedicated Masters coach so you are training with U16/U19s. Issue with that is that you are also skiing U16/U19 course sets which are significantly tighter than masters sets (our rules allow greater distances) Good quality program otherwise.

Squaw has a 6 day/week program. I think they also gave options for buying a package of daily drop ins. Good program, Bigger $$. ( and I hear a rumor that coach mentioned above may also be working some days there......)

Haven't seen the updates on this season from heavenly and North Star. Check out farwestmasters.org for updates

Wrt good used equipment, PM me. You are just in time to get early access to the ScotsSkier race closet clearance sale....

Last edited:
TS
Luqi

Luqi

Booting up
Skier
Hi Luqi
The Mt rose program is dedicated masters training Thursday and Friday mornings (I hear they have a terrific coach! ). Full time program members also have opportunities to train with U16/U19s at weekends. A great value and quality program with a great bunch of masters. Daily drop in options for Thursday and Friday. ( absolutely no bias here...)

Diamond peak has weekend options BUT their Masters program does not have a dedicated Masters coach so you are training with U16/U19s. Issue with that is that you are also skiing U16/U19 course sets which are significantly tighter than masters sets (our rules allow greater distances) Good quality program otherwise.

Squaw has a 6 day/week program. I think they also gave options for buying a package of daily drop ins. Good program, Bigger $$. ( and I hear a rumor that coach mentioned above may also be working some days there......)

Haven't seen the updates on this season from heavenly and North Star. Check out farwestmasters.org for updates

Wrt good used equipment, PM me. You are just in time to get early access to the ScotsSkier race closet clearance sale....
Thanks ScotsSkier for the information.

Only down side with Mt Rose is that I can't go Thursday and Friday mornings, I can only go Saturday and Sunday mornings with occasionally Fridays.

As for Northstar, here's what I found:
Masters training is available Wed-Fri and Sat-Sun (9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.) throughout the season (excluding holidays). Masters coach Cory Lehr is building the program and welcomes new racers - see the info page (link below) for details and contact information.​

I'll also send you a PM about equipment.

Cheers!

Sponsor