• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marmot Meadow Softshell Jacket, good for Tahoe Spring skiing?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Just saw this at Costco today, the Marmot Meadow softshell jacket. Costco was selling it for $59 and just marked them down to $49. They had tons of them in 2 or 3 colors.

Would this be a good jacket for spring skiing at Tahoe? I tend to run warm. This past weekend it was 45F.

Is this a no brainer good deal or are there better options?

Also noticed Bolle helmets were marked down as well as goggles and gloves and the 32 degree base layer shirts and pants were marked down to $6.99 from $8.99, I just they are two season ahead

IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG
meadow.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Honestly with out vents I find jacket like these kind of useless. in actually warm air, good vents, and or not having an actual shell are key IMO.

I personally typiclally wear either a technical hoody if going to be dry, or if going to be alittle wet my Flylow Higgins.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used a Mountain Hardware soft shell for all kinds of conditions in Tahoe, all season long. It's worked fine for all but the coldest days, depending on what I layer under it. Draw backs are no hood and no pit zips but it was totally functional. I imagine this Marmot is similar.

I also use the 32° gear. It works really well for me down into the high teens. Cheap enough to cut the bottom of legs off the pants so they only are long enough to barely have the top of my socks cover them.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I disagree with the notion that pit zips are necessary for a good softshell. Something like the Arcteryx Psiphon, OR Ferrosi, or Rab Torque are super thin and breatheable since they're a low denier nylon where venting really wouldn't add much breatheability.

The Shield runs a lot warmer since it's a pretty thick knit with a brushed interior. The material they license (Polartec Alpha) is the same fabric Arcteryx used to use in their Gamma MX before they switched to a nylon proprietary fabric, and the Gamma generally retails for 6x as much as the Shield.

I would question the customer service team's notion that it's the same jacket as the Shield. If so, there should be some Polartec branding on the garment, hangtags, or label based on their licensing. If not, I'd guess it was more similar to the Marmot Gravity, which OGL covered a few years ago, but in short, is really best for casual wear.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think it depends on how hot you run.....

Even my Neoshell shells, and event I open the vents up on , nothing is as breathable as an open hole.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Josh Matta Totally valid for a hardshell where a ePTFE or PU membrane really impacts the amount of vapor transfer, or a heavy softshell with a lot of weather protection, but if you're overheating in something as light as the Ferrosi hoody, the design teams expect you'll just take it off instead of adding venting.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
If the temperature is above 40, and not windy, I just wear a light weight or medium fleece jacket over a mid weight capilene base layer. But I run warm all the time.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I also run pretty warm and find a vest that gives a bit of wind protection to be a better alternative than a soft shell when it's 45+.

That's when bikewear is pretty awesome. Everybody and their cousin has a Gore bike jacket with zip-off arms by now -> readymade warm ski wear with extra kidney coverage.

(Yes, Gore know this and yes they just partnered with Madshus for XC)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
in tahoe spring skiing, people are going no shirt, or skiing in flannel buttondowns, or in t-shirts and NFL/Basketball/Hockey jerseys; so it's whatever you want man!

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
I disagree with the notion that pit zips are necessary for a good softshell. Something like the Arcteryx Psiphon, OR Ferrosi, or Rab Torque are super thin and breatheable since they're a low denier nylon where venting really wouldn't add much breatheability.

The Shield runs a lot warmer since it's a pretty thick knit with a brushed interior. The material they license (Polartec Alpha) is the same fabric Arcteryx used to use in their Gamma MX before they switched to a nylon proprietary fabric, and the Gamma generally retails for 6x as much as the Shield.

I would question the customer service team's notion that it's the same jacket as the Shield. If so, there should be some Polartec branding on the garment, hangtags, or label based on their licensing. If not, I'd guess it was more similar to the Marmot Gravity, which OGL covered a few years ago, but in short, is really best for casual wear.
It has Windstopper with the circled R on the lower sleeve and the tag says: GORE-TEX WINDSTOPPER Softshell, Marmot M2 softshell, windproof, water resistant, breathable, zippered hand pockets, athletic fit. A=Shell 1 100 Polyester, Shell 2 90% Polyester, 10% Elastane, Lining 100% polyester.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@murphysf oh nice - it doesn't match any of their jackets, but the one it lines up closest with from a fabrication standpoint is the ROM softshell with polyester instead of the nylon/span panels. Really good price for Gore Wind fabrication.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it depends on how hot you run.....

Even my Neoshell shells, and event I open the vents up on , nothing is as breathable as an open hole.

But Neoshell and Event are still membranes.
Softshells that are solely made of stretch woven fabric are a great choice for people who perspire a lot, and typically they are better without pitZips.

Get the thickness you need for the weather you are expecting, erring on the side of cool, then add a layer of it cools down.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It has Windstopper with the circled R on the lower sleeve and the tag says: GORE-TEX WINDSTOPPER Softshell, Marmot M2 softshell, windproof

Gore Windstopper is not super breathable, and not air permeable so if you run hot, having someone sew in some pitzips could be useful, especially if it's to bulky to easily stuff in a pack when it heats up.
And get a light color.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
For anyone living in the SF bay area the Redwood City store just marked them down to $29.99

Sponsor

Staff online