• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marcel Hirscher recreational skiing technique

James

Out There
Instructor
Another all - time great, the Hermannator. He’s just turned 48.

F073B3A8-4681-49B5-84C9-68ACA2904D50.jpeg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Outside ankle closed, with outside ski edged and weighted...
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 3.29.13 PM.png

A second later, that ankle opens, that knee rises, that ski lightens and flattens.
Old turn is over; new turn is imminent.
Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 3.29.23 PM.png

Nice outfit.
Was the boot flexed? Look at the edge angle before release.
Imagine the G forces he was sustaining with that leg and foot.
The man makes it look so easy.

Last edited:

Sintesi

Booting up
Skier
@James, thanks for the video of the Hermanator. His free skiing still shows lot of his race technique. I think if you see MH in 10 years the same would hold true. Maybe less dynamic.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Very interesting watching these ex World Cup greats free ski. I can’t help but think they could easily achieve greater edge angles if they wanted to, but think , Why?
Im sure they have many more “gears” at their disposal if they want to quicken the pace so to speak.
Maybe their mindset in their free skiing is use only what you need to, it’s a long day(lol).

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Very interesting watching these ex World Cup greats free ski. I can’t help but think they could easily achieve greater edge angles if they wanted to, but think , Why?
Im sure they have many more “gears” at their disposal if they want to quicken the pace so to speak.
Maybe their mindset in their free skiing is use only what you need to, it’s a long day(lol).
It's always a trade off, especially on shallow slopes: higher angles means tighter turns, means more turn force, means more friction, means slower speeds. Sometimes, it's ok to ski faster. ;)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

...."use only what you need to".. is what racing is all about. Don't let the crazy angles racers in the gates fool you. They're there only for the minimum time and angle necessary. :)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's always a trade off, especially on shallow slopes: higher angles means tighter turns, means more turn force, means more friction, means slower speeds. Sometimes, it's ok to ski faster. ;)
It also means you need a wider corridor to ski in, which can be an issue in the real world populated by other skiers.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I agree. I find watching this skiing quite interesting, but what Heluva recently noted was that we don't know the skier's intentions/goals when doing this skiing. Is it merely just warming up or are they specifically working on a particular movement? We shouldn't read too much into what we see in their skiing without understanding the context.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For those that ski well understand skiing slow allows you to focus on the fine details as any little mistake shows immediately, speed hides errors as momentum carries you through the mistake and thereby masks it as normal. You miss the chance for correction, skiing slow you feel the reduction in speed when a error is made.

That speed of “slow” is determined by the skiers ski and experience.

Sponsor

Staff online