• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mantra M6 - 177 or 184?

walkerds

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello folks - I was able to demo the Mantra M6 at Palisades this week in both 177 and 184 and loved both skis. However, with current conditions it was mostly on piste, in groomers and springtime bumps. During the course of a regular season, I would probably mix in more time in trees and bowls than I did this week. I’m looking for a good all mountain ski to complement a 114 powder ski and a narrow carving ski.

I felt both skis gave me similar (very positive) impression in these conditions and didn’t stand out as very different. Very easy to initiate a carve for a wider ski and also passable at maneuvering and scrubbing speed in bumps. Heavy enough to push through crud. Maybe the 184 gave me a slight feel of being easier to start carves at low speeds, but it could have also just been that I demoed that length later in the week after getting used to the ski.

I’m 5’11’’, 190 pounds. Do folks have any advice on selecting between these lengths? The folks at the demo store pointed out the benefits of both lengths and pivoted back around to asking how strong a skier I thought I was.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello folks - I was able to demo the Mantra M6 at Palisades this week in both 177 and 184 and loved both skis. However, with current conditions it was mostly on piste, in groomers and springtime bumps. During the course of a regular season, I would probably mix in more time in trees and bowls than I did this week. I’m looking for a good all mountain ski to complement a 114 powder ski and a narrow carving ski.

I felt both skis gave me similar (very positive) impression in these conditions and didn’t stand out as very different. Very easy to initiate a carve for a wider ski and also passable at maneuvering and scrubbing speed in bumps. Heavy enough to push through crud. Maybe the 184 gave me a slight feel of being easier to start carves at low speeds, but it could have also just been that I demoed that length later in the week after getting used to the ski.

I’m 5’11’’, 190 pounds. Do folks have any advice on selecting between these lengths? The folks at the demo store pointed out the benefits of both lengths and pivoted back around to asking how strong a skier I thought I was.
I am your size and ski the 177, I have yet to find where I am "underskied".

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Think you're big enough for either to be good. If you were a bit smaller, then the 177 would be better in bumps and
old snow trees, probably, and the 184 would be better for longer turns at speed on groomers, and for soft snow.

In your case, the same would be true but not as much.
So your choice. If you ski faster, the 184; if slower, and more off piste (more turns), the 177. Both good.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I tried two lengths of a ski and felt no preference, I’d go with the longer one. 190 is certainly enough weight to bend the 184 if you’re a reasonably strong skier.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a friend is who is a true expert skier, about your size, on a 177cm Mantra M5 as his only ski. No limitations for big GS turns, trees, bumps,

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Gonna piggyback on this topic. Me 5’4”, 155 lbs, advanced skier. Got to demo a Mantra M6 @170cm in similar conditions as @walkerds. Love the stability and suspension of the ski and had no issue with the length. If big guys are on the 177 should I think about sizing down to the 163? Current ski in the quiver is Mindbender 90ti @ 170 and can’t help but think 163 would be super squirrely. Also if it ain’t broke, anyway any insight would be appreciated.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gonna piggyback on this topic. Me 5’4”, 155 lbs, advanced skier. Got to demo a Mantra M6 @170cm in similar conditions as @walkerds. Love the stability and suspension of the ski and had no issue with the length. If big guys are on the 177 should I think about sizing down to the 163? Current ski in the quiver is Mindbender 90ti @ 170 and can’t help but think 163 would be super squirrely. Also if it ain’t broke, anyway any insight would be appreciated.

At your weight, 170 would be better than the 163.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Mantra’s have been my primary ski for the past 15 years. I am a 240 # six foot tall daily skier. My go to size has always been 177 except for the M6 which I like in the 184. The M7 will be out soon and the 184 was the best ski that my ski tech tried during insider demos.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The M7 will be out soon and the 184 was the best ski that my ski tech tried during insider demos.
It is really good but there is some more to it from the "insider demos" that your tech attended. :popcorn:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually best to go as short as possible if both lengths give the performance you want.

TS
W

walkerds

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for all the input folks, leaning toward the 177 since I’ll generally opt towards more turns and stability at my top speeds seemed good to me. Although still feel I can’t make a bad choice here.

When is the M7 coming out and would it be a contender for daily driver?

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier

163 would be short. I’d go with the 170 for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online