• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

I thought i read somewhere once that there were ways to make a boot (effectively) taller.

Can’t find anything so far. Any ideas?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m all ears on this one. I’ve heard of heel lifts to bring skiers up out of the cuff some and planning the zeppa to lower the skier into the boot and cuff further. Never heard of making the boot taller.

James

Out There
Instructor
You coukd stick a driver plate in there. It'll make it stiffer.
What's the power strap?

IMG_5802.PNG

https://cascadeclimbers.com/gear/product/Nordica-Shin-Plates-Direct-Driver-Boot-Plates.html/

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about changing the height, but looking at the boot wall at the local shop the other day , the boots seem pretty tall now. Especially the Atomic Hawx

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Taller? Do you mean the cuffs gain inches, reaching higher on your lower legs?
Yes, that.
I have long legs (6’5” tal, 36” pants inseam) and my boots just don’t reach very far up my legs.

Planing the board is an idea, But I would have to make sure not to make the fit sloppy.

I was indeed thinking of somehting along the lines of the driver plates, which would also helpt with excess space in my cuff (which is partly due to my skinny legs and partly to the fact the boots don’t reach up very far)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not sure an existing driver plate is going to give you much extra shin coverage here is what they look like installed.

IMG_20180905_191558.jpg

Now if you are up for making a set by bending Kydex or similar, that could be VERY interesting.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not sure an existing driver plate is going to give you much extra shin coverage here is what they look like installed.

Now if you are up for making a set by bending Kydex or similar, that could be VERY interesting.
Well there you go!
Or just go out and compare different boots. Or do both.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
I make cuff liners like the driver plates out of kydex for most of my boots. Unifies the cuff feel in a positive way for most of my fits. Not comfortable leaving them too tall - feels like a safety risk somehow. Never tried it for the backs of cuffs and usually discard those spoiler things with the stock liners if a shell comes with them.

James

Out There
Instructor
I make cuff liners like the driver plates out of kydex for most of my boots. Unifies the cuff feel in a positive way for most of my fits. Not comfortable leaving them too tall - feels like a safety risk somehow. Never tried it for the backs of cuffs and usually discard those spoiler things with the stock liners if a shell comes with them.
Interesting, you have a photo?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's always this one:
NordicaPolaris-266x300.png

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting that we've had similar discussions about waterski bindings. Most waterskiers ski best with a medium height up the shin. Too low and there's no control. Too high and things get twitchy. (I've tested both.)

@Slim might need better fit of the top of the boot. I add foam shims to get my waterski boots to fit properly around my skinny ankles and calves. I Also do this to my snow ski boots as they pack out. And I've had to drill tighter holes for the upper clips on some snow ski boots to get a good enough fit.

I got a boot top fracture from my really old short stiff Nordica red racers. Now I like a tall soft boot (and anything but Nordica).

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online