• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Looong term planning questions - Solitude and Brighton

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know this is way early but my son and I talk skiing all the time and the topic of next year's trip is a burning question for him.

Next year I'm taking my 13 yo son out for his first trip out west during February school vacation (week of Feb 16). Big Sky is currently at the top of the short list of places to go but I'm toying around with an idea about Utah. I was thinking of staying at the base of the canyons, probably Midvale, and hitting Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton via the UTA buses.

I've been to Alta-Bird but not the others so I don't know how challenging they are in comparison. I'd put his skill level as a low but improving intermediate. I think he'd be able to ski a lot of the terrain off the Supreme and Sugarloaf lifts at Alta without issue as well as the intermediate terrain off of Collins.

So, I'd love some insight on how the BCC resorts compare. Thanks!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know this is way early but my son and I talk skiing all the time and the topic of next year's trip is a burning question for him.

Next year I'm taking my 13 yo son out for his first trip out west during February school vacation (week of Feb 16). Big Sky is currently at the top of the short list of places to go but I'm toying around with an idea about Utah. I was thinking of staying at the base of the canyons, probably Midvale, and hitting Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton via the UTA buses.

I've been to Alta-Bird but not the others so I don't know how challenging they are in comparison. I'd put his skill level as a low but improving intermediate. I think he'd be able to ski a lot of the terrain off the Supreme and Sugarloaf lifts at Alta without issue as well as the intermediate terrain off of Collins.

So, I'd love some insight on how the BCC resorts compare. Thanks!

Solitude and Brighton will be right up his alley.

I started taking my daughters to Solitude each winter around the age 9-11.....we stay at Solitude Village in a condo.....and ski both Solitude and Brighton. Its been a couple years since we've been in BCC, but they both (now 18-16) still mention those trips and how much fun they had on the terrain at both places. Its kind of perfect terrain for a young teenager....Since then, they have been to AltaBird, amongst many other places out west......but they have such fond memories of the terrain at SolBright (when they were that age)........that someday maybe they will take their families there.

Whenever somebody asks about taking their family for the first time to Utah......I tend to always recommend them to BCC first......take a day to visit LCC and see what you think.....then the next time (there will be a next time) go stay at the one you liked the best.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the info. When I saw all of the single and double blacks on the Solitude map I was questioning whether there was any terrain he'd be able to ski.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you are prompt and good at time management, staying in midvale is great. Besides the $$ savings Sleeping at lower elevation will help with acclimatization, but it costs you at least 90min of lost time each day.

if you tend to fall behind or lose random time here or there, it maybe worth your money to stay slopeside, esp. if you are not planning to have a pass, ski and stay package discounts will help pay for the room.

both solitude and brighton have plenty of int and family ski terrain. alta is not too difficult either and has plenty for beginners/int. snowbird wouldn't recommend for
beginners.

If you get ikonpass and rent a car instead of bus, staying in town, you can also do DV which has plenty for int as well.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
if you are prompt and good at time management, staying in midvale is great. Besides the $$ savings Sleeping at lower elevation will help with acclimatization, but it costs you at least 90min of lost time each day.

if you tend to fall behind or lose random time here or there, it maybe worth your money to stay slopeside, esp. if you are not planning to have a pass, ski and stay package discounts will help pay for the room.

both solitude and brighton have plenty of int and family ski terrain. alta is not too difficult either and has plenty for beginners/int. snowbird wouldn't recommend for
beginners.

If you get ikonpass and rent a car instead of bus, staying in town, you can also do DV which has plenty for int as well.

I have an Ikon and will be getting it again. Assuming Utah locals don't ban us Ikon holders from showing up. ogsmile

I stayed at GMD when I was at Alta and see the appeal of staying on the mountain. For this trip though I'd like to have one location in Midvale and then decide what mountain to ski on a given day.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Brighton and Solitude are less steep and less traveled than either of the LCC resorts.

Still fun terrain though.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On our recent trip we stayed in Murray, just off exit 10 on 215. Very convenient especially to BCC. We skied all 5 of the IKON resorts-biggest hassle were canyon closures in LCC. For parking convenience, get up there early (assuming you rent a car). On the base pass, Solitude is blacked out for a couple of the February dates (as are the rest).

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To be honest, I've come to REALLY appreciate Solitude/Brighton. Over the years, LCC has been getting busier and busier; to me it's now such a sh*tshow on good days during the season that I most often just skip it and go on to Solitude or Brighton. Not as much terrain, or as challenging or long -- but you can really appreciate the skiing when you're dealing with a lot fewer - and less intense -- people.

Watch out for Brighton on the weekends; it attracts the pack 'o snowboard crowd, but other than that, they're great. Lots of terrain for advancing skiers, some legitimate steeps/double diamonds off the backside of Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude if you're interested. Alta and Snowbird are great....when they are. Too often, I find them over-skied, busy, and just not that fun. Heresy I know, but my $0.02.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On our recent trip we stayed in Murray, just off exit 10 on 215. Very convenient especially to BCC. We skied all 5 of the IKON resorts-biggest hassle were canyon closures in LCC. For parking convenience, get up there early (assuming you rent a car). On the base pass, Solitude is blacked out for a couple of the February dates (as are the rest).

Normally I'd rent a car but the bus seems like a good choice. I have no issues getting up very early to avoid road closures but I can't guarantee a 4WD rental unless I pay a lot. If the roads are bad then I might be screwed.

The blackout dates for next year are 2/15 and 16. We'd be flying in on the 16th so that won't be an issue for us.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
you can leave the car rental decision until a week out. the car will be useful if you want to check out DV (i had fun there for a couple days this year) but with ikon you have an more than enough resort access out of midvale without needing DV.

Non 4wd rental is not screwed, you can always drive to park and ride and still let the bus do the inclement parts.

Car also opens up your hotel and dinner choices so you aren't as tied to picking hotel on the bus route, but this is just a minor optimization.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
you can leave the car rental decision until a week out. the car will be useful if you want to check out DV (i had fun there for a couple days this year) but with ikon you have an more than enough resort access out of midvale without needing DV.

Non 4wd rental is not screwed, you can always drive to park and ride and still let the bus do the inclement parts.

Car also opens up your hotel and dinner choices so you aren't as tied to picking hotel on the bus route, but this is just a minor optimization.

DV might be a nice option to add to the list.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just got back from exactly what you're considering (had my own car though): pretty much everything said so far is spot on, especially the positive feedback on Solitude. I spent two days there, as well as 2 at Deer Valley and one at Snowbird.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I pitched the "Tour of the Canyons" trip to Noah and he's so excited he's ready to go tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys. It'll be nice to be back in Utah next year.

Sponsor

Staff online