• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for Experience w/Recovery from AMIS Hip Replacement

job151

Booting up
Skier
So had a hip replaced with the new Anterior Minimally Invasive Surgery (AMIS) in July. Turns out it was all bone on bone and nearly zero cartilage left in the joint. That means no muscles cut, no range of motion issues, and much faster recovery (walking on day of surgery and doing flights of stairs w/in 30 hours of surgery). I was cleared for everything but running, including skiing w/no limits, in late August.

Does anyone have experience w/this kind of surgery and returning to the mountain? I know a number of folks w/traditional hip replacements, but those have a host of issues and limits i don't have.

Thanks.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mrs.C had the same frontal procedure and for the same reason, minimal cutting. I was blown away that they had her up and walking just hours after.... with a walker.
When she told the nurse she had to pee, the nurse replied you can pee in your bed or you can get up and walk to the bathroom !
WOW ! I thought to myself, you guys just cut her leg off :eek:

11 weeks later she was back to skiing and think she had 35+ days that season.
The most amazing part of the post procedure was taking her to get fitted for new boots after the operation...... least I could do :D
We discovered she no longer needed any canting on that leg, the doctor got her perfectly aligned.
Good friend of ours has had both hips
done with that procedure, each a season apart and is completely pain free as well.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Curious to see how her recovery is. Keep us posted. And give us updates every year for a decade or two!

I got my Birmingham hip (very invasive surgery) done in October two years ago. I skied very carefully (against doctor's recommendations but with the PT's help) for a couple runs over New Year. Late February (I think) I was cleared for anything (no car crashes though). I worked really hard at the PT. Competed well that summer in waterskiing. I was weak (and limited somewhat by that weakness) despite what felt like an absurd amount of PT and exercise. There's a huge amount of work between a doctor's pronouncement of health and peak athletic form.

The injury to the other knee, my shoulder, my back and general aging hides any hip replacement issues this summer. Still had some decent results. But I needed the regular PT encouragement to get in better shape. I guess the rehab never ends.

Eric

TS
job151

job151

Booting up
Skier
Mrs.C had the same frontal procedure and for the same reason, minimal cutting. I was blown away that they had her up and walking just hours after.... with a walker.
When she told the nurse she had to pee, the nurse replied you can pee in your bed or you can get up and walk to the bathroom !
WOW ! I thought to myself, you guys just cut her leg off :eek:

11 weeks later she was back to skiing and think she had 35+ days that season.
The most amazing part of the post procedure was taking her to get fitted for new boots after the operation...... least I could do :D
We discovered she no longer needed any canting on that leg, the doctor got her perfectly aligned.
Good friend of ours has had both hips
done with that procedure, each a season apart and is completely pain free as well.

Thanks. good to hear. I probably don't need new boots, mine were pre-hip going really bad. But all knee pain went away in the bad leg since the surgeon got my legs even again. :) So it sounds like, just go ski!

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Having rehab’d a bunch, you’re only limited by your muscular support.

Cheers!

Sponsor

Staff online