• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for advice selecting lens for Giro Method Goggles

soerenberg

Booting up
Skier
I am thinking about getting the Giro Method goggles to match my Giro helmet.
However, I am not sure about the lens to get. Seems like different stores sell different combination of frame and lens. However, there are limits in combinations.
I realize that it would be best tow swap the lens based on conditions. However, if I wanted a universal set, what would be a good choice?

I am looking at the black frame

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The answer to your question is unknowable. One friend skis every day with very light lenses. That's what works for him. I like a medium-light for gray days and medium-dark for bright days. That's me. Some like dark lenses everyday. If there is a photochromic lens for that frame, that might work. Otherwise I strongly suggest that you buy the goggles from a shop on the ski hill where they let you take several to the window on a gray day. Look out and see what works for you. Mail order prices are cheaper, sure, but a discount that doesn't work for you is no bargain. Giro is fine, but there might be other brands of goggles that work as well or better for you, perhaps with a better fit for your face and your helmet, or lens technology that works best for you.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nobody but you can now what is best for you. A lot depends on where you ski, how sensitive to light you are etc.
If you mostly ski above the tree line, a straight sun lens with VLT 9-13 might be the best. That same lens will not be best however if the slopes you ski are partly in shade. For these conditions the best is lens with VLT 22-23%.

One of these and one for cloudy days with VLT 55-65% and you are good to go.

I personally would go with Vivid Royal/Vivid Emerald and Vivid Infrared Combination and later add a Vivid Appex, this would cover all my needs, but yours might be different.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online