• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for advice on boots for really wide feet

Jeremy Q

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello! I am a beginner to skiing, having only been a few times. I’ve decided that I really enjoy it and want to go as often as possible. Here is my dilemma. I’d like to buy boots, but my feet are wide. I mean, really wide! And my calves are big as well. I’m hoping for some advice on finding boots that will work for me without being a huge expense to my family’s budget (hoping for at most a few hundred dollars, but I realize that might be too low)

Here is my foot size:
Length - 30.5 cm
Width - 120 mm
Instep - 31.5 cm
Any guidance would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The answer is always to see a bootfitter particularly if you want to avoid the general sporting goods store comfort boot. I guess with feet like that you've pretty heavy so they'd also be able to provide guidance on flex. Personally with my hobbit width feet I've had success with Head Vector and Atomic Magna so you might try to seek out someone stocking those brands.

Or Drink the Kool Aid and wait to next season and buy some one size fits all BOA boots (FTAOD this is a joke).

TS
J

Jeremy Q

Skier
Thanks for the quick feedback and direction on the matter. @fatbob, thanks for the suggested brands. @François Pugh and @scott43, thanks for the advice on the heels. Thankfully there won’t be a problem with narrow heels. It’s been a challenge finding the right fit for big feet and a big body, but I’m thankful for the direction I’m getting here.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello! I am a beginner to skiing, having only been a few times. I’ve decided that I really enjoy it and want to go as often as possible. Here is my dilemma. I’d like to buy boots, but my feet are wide. I mean, really wide! And my calves are big as well. I’m hoping for some advice on finding boots that will work for me without being a huge expense to my family’s budget (hoping for at most a few hundred dollars, but I realize that might be too low)

Here is my foot size:
Length - 30.5 cm
Width - 120 mm
Instep - 31.5 cm
Any guidance would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I would check out the Atomic Hawx Magna. But, given your particular size I would go to a boot fitter if at all possible because it looks like no matter the boot you get it will most likely need to be modded a bit to get the fit right.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jeremy, a couple of general points...
...boots that are comfy in the shop are probably too big. We all have various lumps & bumps on our feet. You want boots that fit as close as a crab's shell but with the lump & bump spots heated and pressed out. You want NO free motion between your feet & ankles and the boots.
...expect to return to the shop a couple of times for the boot fitter to adjust the boots better to your feet for both comfort and control.
...probably the best time to buy boots is during the September sales when the shops have both left over stock and new stock so they have more to offer you.
...you want boots that will give you the best fit out of the box, then the boot fitter adjusts them to YOU.
...the fitter can usually make the boots a bit bigger. It is more difficult to make the boots smaller and still ski very well.
...alignment matters. The cuff of the boot can be tilted inward or outward to match any curvature in you lower leg. If your knee is not directly above the center of your foot you need this adjusted in the boot. The fore & aft tilt of the boot is important, and this has some adjustment. Everyone is different, and their adjustments may differ.
...when you're ready to shop, ask here for suggestions for a shop and a fitter that knows their stuff. Every boot salesman calls themself a boot fitter. It ain't so.

TS
J

Jeremy Q

Skier
Jeremy, a couple of general points...
...boots that are comfy in the shop are probably too big. We all have various lumps & bumps on our feet. You want boots that fit as close as a crab's shell but with the lump & bump spots heated and pressed out. You want NO free motion between your feet & ankles and the boots.
...expect to return to the shop a couple of times for the boot fitter to adjust the boots better to your feet for both comfort and control.
...probably the best time to buy boots is during the September sales when the shops have both left over stock and new stock so they have more to offer you.
...you want boots that will give you the best fit out of the box, then the boot fitter adjusts them to YOU.
...the fitter can usually make the boots a bit bigger. It is more difficult to make the boots smaller and still ski very well.
...alignment matters. The cuff of the boot can be tilted inward or outward to match any curvature in you lower leg. If your knee is not directly above the center of your foot you need this adjusted in the boot. The fore & aft tilt of the boot is important, and this has some adjustment. Everyone is different, and their adjustments may differ.
...when you're ready to shop, ask here for suggestions for a shop and a fitter that knows their stuff. Every boot salesman calls themself a boot fitter. It ain't so.
Great feedback! Thank you very much! Which shop would you recommend that is close to Moses Lake, WA?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Great feedback! Thank you very much! Which shop would you recommend that is close to Moses Lake, WA?
Sturtevants in Bellevue. Sorry, i know it's a haul... ask for Brant or Otto.

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Boots are your most important equipment and should last you the longest. So pick them with care, within your atheletism (with room for skill growth). And within your budget.

For beginners boots should be above all comfortable & flexible. Or your skill acquisition will be hampered.

For every skier level you should try on the boots in the shop for at least 30m stomping and flexing to see if you have loose connection in the heel pocket and any pressure points due to bunnions etc. Todays boots and liners are pretty good in terms of heat formed customization - to make them a wee bit larger/not smaller.

Initial put on fit should be snug - with your toes able to wiggle but not able to slide around at all - your heels locked in. Any good shop will measure you up to see what boot with what last (width of the fore foot) will be best for you.

Ditch the ego and avoid the sales pitch. Dont buy up to snazzy looking stiff boots way above your ability.
For not very athlettic, out of shape beginners go with a beginner / soft boot. If you are overweight then you may in rare cases need to move up to a stiffer intermediate boot.
For an athletic beginners (skates, roller blades, water skis, etc) do consider a intermediate boot, this will give you room to grow as you will likely advance quickly.

Choose a flex rating of 90 or less soft boot (yeah we can debate about brand uniqueness etc etc - the Germans should come up with a DIN std). When you try them on in the shop you should be able to flex forward and crush them when fully buckled up. In the cold the boots will get a lot stiffer.

If you have typical even wide feet then heat forming should address any foot bulges etc. Stick & glue on and taped filler pieces on the liner such as heel keepers should address any extra narrow / low volume areas of your feet.

If in the rare case you have hobbitt feet then a boot fitter + the extra bucks maybe required.

For beginners and most intermediates a boot fitter should be the last resort, it can be expensive and sometimes hit or miss. For advanced to experts & professionals a good boot fitter is often the starting point unless you have experience with what works for you or have some basic boot fitting experience.

GL

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Ronin, do be careful. You've given very specific advice to someone whose foot you haven't evaluated in person. FWIW, I've put beginners in everything from 80 to 130 flex boots. Why? Well, very different anatomies, foot/ankle range of motions, athletic backgrounds, etc...

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ronin, do be careful. You've given very specific advice to someone whose foot you haven't evaluated in person. FWIW, I've put beginners in everything from 80 to 130 flex boots. Why? Well, very different anatomies, foot/ankle range of motions, athletic backgrounds, etc...
But I do think the OP is asking for help to narrow his options/search.
Most of us want input and opinions, specific the better, from others.
Final choice is up to each of us.

And really you have be an extremely heavy or strong guy, as a beginner, to be put into boot greater than a 100 flex. Stiff boots ultimately hammers skill progress for most beginners even some advanced skiers IMHO.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
But I do think the OP is asking for help to narrow his options/search.
Most of us want input and opinions, specific the better, from others.
Final choice is up to each of us.

And really you have be an extremely heavy or strong guy, as a beginner, to be put into boot greater than a 100 flex. Stiff boots ultimately hammers skill progress for most beginners even some advanced skiers IMHO.

As both an instructor, instructor trainer, and fitter, i can tell you with confidence it's case by case. Do softer boots sometimes make the best choice? Sure. Are some more advanced skiers in too stiff a boot? Sure.

Even with experience, I'm not likely to ever recommend specific boot advice without an in person evaluation. There are just too many variables that tell me proper due diligence is the path I prefer.
Specific advice on the interwebs regarding boot fit is worth exactly what we pay for it.

:beercheer:

Skitard

Skier
Piggy backing on the OP's question, I am searching for ski boots for my short legs and wide calves. I have Lange LX 120's currently for my wide feet: I fit a Mondo 28.5 wide boot. On an indoor snow slope last weekend, after six hours my calves were misshapen and severely swollen until the next morning. My local boot fitter has Atomic Hawx Magna 130 S boots and Head LYT 130 boots. They will have the new K2 120 BOA and Salomon S/Pro 120 BOA but I don't think these will be suitable for my calves. In theory, I like the Nordica Sportmachine 3 130 with the cuff adjustability. Between the Head, Atomic, and Nordica, which is most likely to be suitable, please?

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Piggy backing on the OP's question, I am searching for ski boots for my short legs and wide calves. I have Lange LX 120's currently for my wide feet: I fit a Mondo 28.5 wide boot. On an indoor snow slope last weekend, after six hours my calves were misshapen and severely swollen until the next morning. My local boot fitter has Atomic Hawx Magna 130 S boots and Head LYT 130 boots. They will have the new K2 120 BOA and Salomon S/Pro 120 BOA but I don't think these will be suitable for my calves. In theory, I like the Nordica Sportmachine 3 130 with the cuff adjustability. Between the Head, Atomic, and Nordica, which is most likely to be suitable, please?
Since you are in the UK
go see @cem
up in Bicester

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
the chances are the boot you have could be just fine IF the cuff is modified to accommodate the calf issues, but without a full assessment it is impossible to say for sure, the key is getting the heel and ankle correct to start with so you have control, then adjust the forefoot for width and then the cuff for any calf issues, there is a tendency for shops to go bigger if you have a large calf to try to have a bigger cuff to go round the bigger calf... all sounds good in theory BUT the bigger boot with the bigger cuff is taller so has to go round more calf, as with all these things it is simple to make space not so easy to stop movement if there is too much space

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Which shop would you recommend that is close to Moses Lake, WA?
Mica at the Sports Creel in Spokane Valley is very good.

I have 6E wide feet plus major swelling in my right foot and leg. I use Dale Boots. Gravity Sports in Renton and Stevens Pass Custom Boot Fitting offer Dale Boots. For my latest pair, I sent in measurements to their main shop in Salt Lake and then did a fitting when I was on my way to Crested Butte.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
2 requests going on here.... @Skitard is based in the UK. So US shops are a bit of drive/fly for him.

Is Atomic making something like the LivFit still? Also women's boots tend to have a wider, lower cuff and a narrow heel. But the best thing is to place your feet in a trusted, recommended boot fitter hands.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The K2 "BFC" (Built for Comfort) boot is another boot specifically built for wider feet and calves. I have them. They fit my feet and they ski well for me. For you ??? But it is a model not mentioned yet.

Sponsor

Staff online