• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking at the Shift MNC for next year but concerned about DIN range

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm really interested in getting the Shift MNC binding next year. The DIN range is 6-13 and my particulars put me right at 6. I've always gone with bindings with a DIN range of 4-13. What's the recommendation for having the DIN set at the minimum of a bindings DIN range?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm really interested in getting the Shift MNC binding next year. The DIN range is 6-13 and my particulars put me right at 6. I've always gone with bindings with a DIN range of 4-13. What's the recommendation for having the DIN set at the minimum of a bindings DIN range?

Dont worry about it. I demoed the binding the other day and step in was a bit firm though so if you are very light you might have issues. Otherwise its a dream binding.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You realize that one, it doesn't have a high score riser and two, all at binding had problems the first year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You realize that one, it doesn't have a high score riser and two, all at binding had problems the first year.
Salomon has put years into the development of this binding and I have no idea what a high score riser is. All bindings have problems? I don't recall the Sth2's having any issues in the 5 years it has been out, let alone the first year.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Salomon has put years into the development of this binding and I have no idea what a high score riser is. All bindings have problems? I don't recall the Sth2's having any issues in the 5 years it has been out, let alone the first year.

I think it's in reference to tech bindings. Wild Snow mentions that each brand family has had issues with their first tech bindings. I should note though, that it's written in 2014. https://www.wildsnow.com/14834/tech-bindings-skiing-facts/

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry,I meant a high angle riser.

And I hope you're right.

But all or most pin bindings had problems in the first year, and some, like the kingpin, even mor.

And I remember the Salomon at boots, a disaster a few years ago.

I think the reason is that most companies are reluctant to spend too much money testing the at gear, because the volumes are still small.

Ok till somebody does.

Which I see with the kingpin pins shearing off.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think the reason is that most companies are reluctant to spend too much money testing the at gear, because the volumes are still small.
I would actually say main reason is nowadays mentality where everyone agree paying customers are happy to be beta (or in some cases even alpha) testers. Decades ago this was never an option and this was done internally, but nowadays you put product out and end clients are testers who figure out all sort of problems. Much cheaper for company, and realistically noone carries any responsibility anyway, as there's always enough of small print.

Sponsor

Staff online