• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking at some skis - need the hivemind to chime in!

charlatan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Okay, going to be as specific as I can. I know there's no one perfect answer to these threads, but with enough deets I think I can get something I am very happy with.

I ski Colorado exclusively (might start heading to Utah or Wyoming once a year), so I am pretty spoiled snow wise. I am now 50, but in pretty good shape. More numbers;
Height: 6'2"
Weight: Varies - 185-195 depending on whether or not it's donut Friday :)

Current gear:
One pair of skis - Grace Skis 'Jake' model.
https://www.skimag.com/gear/grace-jake-2013
The company isn't around anymore as far as I can tell, which is too bad, but it's time for me to move on. I do plan on keeping them as a pow ski.
Bindings (on the Jakes) : Marker Jester
Boots: Technica Cochise 120s.

Turn ons;
Bumps (needs improvement)
Moderate speed on the blues to get to the lift :)
après Ski
I would also like to start skiing more trees.

Turn offs;
Super mega ultra speed
Park skiing
Long lift lines

So, for my current Grace skis, I struggle with getting them on edge in the moguls. I've learned to ski them and can handle myself, but I really feel like they're a ton of work. They feel heavy and cumbersome. I lose a lot of my edge to the rocker tip, so effectively I feel like I am skiing the 166 and not the 186. They don't handle that well on ice / super packed snow, but they're not the worst either.
Additionally, I am starting to feel it in the knees, and that's even if I am skiing greens with my youngest. All in all, I think there's better out there for me.

So, I am open to any suggestions, but I have been looking into these specifically;
Dynastar Legend (either 106 or the 96)
Head Kore series (99 maybe?)
DPS Wailer 99

My goal with these skis is to improve my mogul skills, still hit the steep stuff, get some powder days in, and feel comfortable enough in the skis response to try some trees.

Thanks in advance for any input you have!

Mike

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Turn ons;
Bumps (needs improvement)
Moderate speed on the blues to get to the lift :)
après Ski
I would also like to start skiing more trees.

Turn offs;
Super mega ultra speed
Park skiing
Long lift lines
You are going to fit in here quite well.

So, for my current Grace skis, I struggle with getting them on edge in the moguls. I've learned to ski them and can handle myself, but I really feel like they're a ton of work. They feel heavy and cumbersome. I lose a lot of my edge to the rocker tip, so effectively I feel like I am skiing the 166 and not the 186. They don't handle that well on ice / super packed snow, but they're not the worst either.
Additionally, I am starting to feel it in the knees, and that's even if I am skiing greens with my youngest. All in all, I think there's better out there for me.

So, I am open to any suggestions, but I have been looking into these specifically;
Dynastar Legend (either 106 or the 96)
Head Kore series (99 maybe?)
DPS Wailer 99

My goal with these skis is to improve my mogul skills, still hit the steep stuff, get some powder days in, and feel comfortable enough in the skis response to try some trees.

Thanks in advance for any input you have!

Mike
IMHO, the issues with your knees and bumps is that you are on a 108mm wde ski. Go down to the mid 90mm and you will finf that you will start improving in the bumps and your knees won't hurt as much.

From your list...
Legend 99 over the 106
Kore 93
DPS Foundation Wailer 94 over the 99.

TS
C

charlatan

Skier
You are going to fit in here quite well.
Thx! Looking forward to being part of the community.

IMHO, the issues with your knees and bumps is that you are on a 108mm wde ski. Go down to the mid 90mm and you will finf that you will start improving in the bumps and your knees won't hurt as much.

From your list...
Legend 99 over the 106
Kore 93
DPS Foundation Wailer 94 over the 99.

Perfect. So you think the Kore 99 is a bit too much? I kind of thought the 99 would give me a bit more float if I hit some light to moderate powder, but if the 93 gets me the same then great.

Also, do you find with these rockers that you NEED to go longer to gain more effective edge? I think I've read that the Legend ride true to length... maybe the Wailer's need to be a bit longer? My Grace ski's feel super long to me in the bumps, but that may be because I am not getting on edge quick enough.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, not familiar with that one... time to dig in :)
DPS Foundation Cassiar 94. There is no Wailer 94. Check out some of the DPS reviews HERE. Lots of good info. Also, see the top of the page for the "REVIEWS" button. That'll take you down a rabbit hole from whence you'll never return!

TS
C

charlatan

Skier
How would you guys say the Atomic Vantage 97's compare to the Dynastar x96?

Last edited:
TS
C

charlatan

Skier
@Andy Mink @Philpug
Thanks again for the input. So, I've got access to a couple of local deals, and was wondering based on my profile what you might recommend. I've read the reviews, and they both seem like good options...
Option 1 - Kastle FX 95s (2017 version, old graphic) HP - 181 cm length
Option 2 - Dynastar Legend x96 - 186 cm length

I am not sure at my weight if the HP is too much or too stiff for me. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink @Philpug
Thanks again for the input. So, I've got access to a couple of local deals, and was wondering based on my profile what you might recommend.
Option 1 - Kastle FX 95s (2017 version, old graphic) HP - 181 cm length
Option 2 - Dynastar Legend x96 - 186 cm length

I am not sure at my weight if the HP is too much or too stiff for me. Thanks again!
I can't speak to the Kastles since I haven't been on them. The X96s are surprisingly turny with a radius of 15m in the 176, so probably 16m in the 186. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of time on them but they seemed like they'd be good in the bumps and some off-piste stuff

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Hmm... a new contender?

considering you like bumps, trees and more moderate speed I wouldnt pick the MSP as your first ski. Its good ski but IMO is like to have more speed than the Enforcers or Kores

I would say a Kore 93 in 188m or Enforcer 93 in a 185, or Ruslter 9 in a 188. IF you really want something great in bumps and in tree even the Bushwacker CA in 187 deserves a look.

Sponsor

Staff online