• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ligety free-carving in NZ

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the greatest compliments I've ever received on my skiing was from a PSIA level 3 instructor who said I looked like Ted Ligety skiing. While I am most certainly not anywhere near actually being as good as him, I love watching him ski and try to do what he does on the snow. It's so much fun to try and get those sorts of turns in. When I saw that Instagram post, I was like OMG so much fun I want to ski like that!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think that one of the best things about this thread is that people seem to realize that this video is of Ted screwing around, being playful, digging big trenches and HAVING FUN. Absolutely not "training" not being serious, not working on anything or even really paying a ton of attention.

Ted, as many realize, skied in a way that was almost purpose built for the last years of the pre 35M GS skis and sets. And he also worked like a dog to get dialed into the 35M skis that he worked with Head to design and build for him. He had a huge advantage for a couple of years, both equipment and technique. His big "sweeping" and round carving motion is really fun to watch, and at one point was super fast, but it's been rendered relatively slow, on most hills. I say relatively, as he is still damn fast. But at his peak, he was winning all the time, and winning by big margins.

His basic style does not put him in the fall line as much as somebody like Hirscher, and he ends up covering a lot more real estate....simply skis a longer distance. But he is so much fun to watch and to emulate.....nice clean turns, etc. I've been on the hill in CO when he's been free skiing and training and in particular when free skiing, his tracks are just beautiful to observe and see.....as dorky and fan boyish as that sounds.

I hope that Ted finds the right combination of things happening to get him on the podium a few times this season, and maybe on the top step. He's also a very, very nice guy.

I should also add that he's overcome a lot of injury, mainly back problems, which were probably not "helped" by the last couple of years of the 35M skis, and those sets. When people discuss what a beating the body took form those years, they often point to Ted.

At any rate, really fun to watch, and fun to see him having fun!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online