• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ligety free-carving in NZ

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like that he isn't skiing perfectly. It is really play time for Ted.

Welcome!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If I'm ever that far over on my hips please come get me out of the trees!

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
He's dropping his inside hand
He's inclinating not angulating
He's getting in the back seat, not staying forward enough
His shoulders aren't square to the direction of travel
He doesn't have enough separation, his feet are too close together

He's grinning from ear to ear.. :micdrop:

Thanks for sharing this.. I aspire to his bad form, reckless abandon, and adherence to just having some fun! :beercheer:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Anyone here ever lifted that new outside arm, shoulder, and hip at initiation, while flexing the new inside leg, in order to get higher edge angles earlier in the turn? That's what I see him doing.

I do it, but of course not like this. It's very effective. Just gotta watch the rest of the turn lest one misses the opportunity to angulate and direct pressure to the outside ski when it's time to do that.

Wish we had a side view so we could see him doing that swimming arm thing. Not sure to what extent he's doing it here.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've watched this about 15 times. Still trying to figure out how he doesn't boot out. Crazy angles!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Love that he skied the circle near the end. I still haven't gotten close to carving a circle.
About six to ten years ago I decided to carve circles. I did it, but my circles weren't "round" enough. While trying to perfect these circles I almost had a head on collision with the skier behind me:eek:, we were both doing about 30 mph! I stopped skiing circles after that.

The purpose of my post? If you decide to carve circles, make sure there isn't someone behind you when you do.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Anyone here ever lifted that new outside arm, shoulder, and hip at initiation, while flexing the new inside leg, in order to get higher edge angles earlier in the turn? That's what I see him doing.

I do it, but of course not like this. It's very effective. Just gotta watch the rest of the turn lest one misses the opportunity to angulate and direct pressure to the outside ski when it's time to do that.

Wish we had a side view so we could see him doing that swimming arm thing. Not sure to what extent he's doing it here.
Yes it's fun to anticipate and "dive" into the turn head first ahead of time, but be warned. Skiing exclusively on SL skis and doing this on SL skis for around 20 days in a row and then jumping on your old straight SGs might result in a broken arm!

TS
shaneynice

shaneynice

Carving fiend
Skier
6'1 195 here & trying to figure out if I buy a FIS SL ski or a Non-FIS plated SL ski (in a 170).... trying to optimize for fun here & free reckless carving... thoughts?

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
I like the way he gets way aft in turns 3 and 4, bending the tails of the skis hard at the end of the turns, almost laying his back down on the snow. He's popped right out of courses doing stuff like that. . . :golfclap:

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
6'1 195 here & trying to figure out if I buy a FIS SL ski or a Non-FIS plated SL ski (in a 170).... trying to optimize for fun here & free reckless carving... thoughts?

Depends on how good a skier you are.. i'm 6' 150 and have some k2 turbo chargers in a 165.. 13M ski without the hair trigger.. although NOS race planks can be inexpensive.. having to be "on" all the time takes away from the fun part.. if you race.. then have at it.. if your a rec skier.. i'd be looking at cheaters

Last edited: