• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lifespan and Revival of a Puffy Midlayer

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh - and if you're looking to extend the life of your next piece, putting it on delicate cycle or even hand washing can make the laundering process a gentler on the insulation.
I probably could have treated this one a bit better at the beginning…but the last 3-ish years I’ve been much better with practicing patience while washing/drying my outerwear.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
:( Not what I want to hear, but probably what I need to…

And if this is the case, what’s everyone’s favorite synthetic puffy mid layer?

The Thermoball has treated me well, but TNF has changed their sizing a bit…and now I seem to be in between sizes.
I have the same jacket. It's over 10 years old. It's lost some of it...but I use it now as a base layer under flannels/casual wear. It's still keeps warm, just not the same. Just "graduate" the piece to a new use.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm facing the same issue with my insulated synthetic puffy. I killed an Arc'teryx Proton LT in about 3 years and then a used Nano air in just 1. Heavy use of course (wore 100+ days a year, not just skiing), often with a pack. I've been doing a lot of research and am starting to look for a heavy weight fleece as a replacement instead. From what I can tell the main advantages of these synthetic puffies are warmth to weight ratio and weather resistance. Neither of these things matter to me when I am wearing them inbounds only always under a shell. Just another thought/option for you to consider.
I'm in year 5 of my Nano Air (favorite base jacket under shell). I only use it for skiing to minimize wear. I have the Atom LT...not the same. The proton LT is way better than the Atom. It's competitive with NanoAir but very expensive. The Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear are making competitors now at about 1/2 to 1/4 the price of Patagonia and Arc. The Patagonia, piece, though, is really tops from my view. I've already bought a new with tags via Ebay replacement because I think this is it's last year.

James

Out There
Instructor
This thread is possibly an advertisement for down.
You can also replenish it with one of those geese that land on the lawn. But keep it hush hush…

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the same jacket. It's over 10 years old. It's lost some of it...but I use it now as a base layer under flannels/casual wear. It's still keeps warm, just not the same. Just "graduate" the piece to a new use.
This is what I’m thinking as well. I still love the jacket, and it’s still warmer than nothing, so no need to get rid of it…just need something warmer for colder days.
The Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear are making competitors now at about 1/2 to 1/4 the price of Patagonia and Arc.
Funny you mention these two specifically…they were two that I came across yesterday and I’m considering. Specifically the OR Superstrand LT or the MH Kor Strata…or possibly considering the MH Ghost Whisperer, but not really sure I want to go to a down layer. Hoodless is mandatory, I really don’t understand how people wear hoods under their shells skiing. I really like OR’s sustainability/environmentally friendly mission that they have going on, one of my personal favorite outdoor apparel brands.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is what I’m thinking as well. I still love the jacket, and it’s still warmer than nothing, so no need to get rid of it…just need something warmer for colder days.

Funny you mention these two specifically…they were two that I came across yesterday and I’m considering. Specifically the OR Superstrand LT or the MH Kor Strata…or possibly considering the MH Ghost Whisperer, but not really sure I want to go to a down layer. Hoodless is mandatory, I really don’t understand how people wear hoods under their shells skiing. I really like OR’s sustainability/environmentally friendly mission that they have going on, one of my personal favorite outdoor apparel brands.
If you want a Down mid-layer the Eddie Bauer website has a $44.99 jacket/sweater with a 650 down fill that would work, although today is the last day of the sale. I think it comes in four different colors.
I had to edit this because it is a 650 fill and I said it was a 550 by mistake.

Last edited:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier

So...I have the OR Uberlayer which is no longer made, but Refuge, I believe, replaces it. Good pocket use and breathable insulation. The MH Kor is close too. But in terms of full function, it's super hard to beat the Patagonia NanoAir as a baselayer jacket. In my experience, worth the premium assuming sale pricing. I used to be able to buy proform and demo, but that's no longer an option for me, so buy most if not all of my stuff via steepandcheap ,campsaver, or Sierratrading unless there is an end of season sale directly through the manufacturer.

I have the Ghost Whisperer 2 and it's my number one puffy hoody. I rarely wear it skiing because it doesn't breath and the hood under helmet is just okay. Has to be super cold before I use a puffy over a synthetic. But it's super light and warm and a great piece. I wear it almost every day as my winter jacket. If you are okay with the lack of breathability, this is what I would buy. It's also my wife's favorite jacket for herself.

I like hoodys because I prefer them under my helmet v. hats/balclavas. Patagonia's/Arc hoods are probably the best for that fit. Easy under helmet fit with different neck guards depending on your shell.

If you don't like the hood, probably don't buy Patagonia or Arc since I think they shine there and likely paying a premium for the hood.

Bottomline, based on your noted, I'd lean to OR's stuff for breathable, or MH ghost whisperer 2 for puffy and all around great piece. (FYI, just checked to see, there's large no hooded OR Refuge on Steep and Cheap right now for $90 and a hooded for $110 which is over 50% off; edited to include womens: there is also an Air REfuge (lighter) for $80, black and blue regular hooded for $110 and winter ferrosi hoodless for $110)

Last edited:
TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@noobski - I'll take a look at the Refuge, somehow I missed that one on their website. Thanks for the tip on the sale at SAC...might need to browse that one. Also thank you very much for the Ghost Whisperer 2 feedback. I did try on a GW2 at my local mountain's shop the other day, and was really impressed with the light weight and the fit was pretty spot on.

If you want a Down mid-layer the Eddie Bauer website has a $44.99 jacket/sweater with a 650 down fill that would work, although today is the last day of the sale. I think it comes in four different colors.
I had to edit this because it is a 650 fill and I said it was a 550 by mistake.
I have one of their down vests, as well as a down anorak that I really enjoy for general use (not quite breathable enough for most ski days though). Purchased both on an end-of-season deal last year for a total of something like $70...can't really beat their sales.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you want a Down mid-layer the Eddie Bauer website has a $44.99 jacket/sweater with a 550 down fill that would work, although today is the last day of the sale. I think it comes in four different colors.
bang for your buck great jacket. Functionally not a good as the other brands mentioned though.

So, after a little digging it looks like the Uberlayer (with VerticalX insulation) was replaced by the Refuge (same insulation), and now the Refuge is replaced by the SuperStrand (updated insulation to VerticalX SuperStrand).

For anyone interested further on OR's SuperStrand insulation: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/blo...-best-down-alternative-for-four-season-warmth

Thanks for that update! That sounds right. So S&C/Sierra/Campsaver will usually have new last year's gear.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Functionally not a good as the other brands mentioned though.
I think that depends on what you pair it with. I have used mine and not a problem for me. Having said that I have not tried the other brands mentioned, but I have not felt the need for something else.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think that depends on what you pair it with. I have used mine and not a problem for me. Having said that I have not tried the other brands mentioned, but I have not felt the need for something else.
I can agree with that. At the margin...it may not be worth it because you're looking at least 30% more in price, if not 150% more.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January