• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lifespan and Revival of a Puffy Midlayer

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How long do you keep a puffy before it loses its puff?

I have a North Face Thermoball that I wear regularly for a mid-layer on mountain, light jacket around town, hiking, traveling…so on, so forth. It’s 5 years old, has probably seen 500+ days of use at this point…it’s lived a good life, and I’m not quite ready to let it go. But it’s losing loft, and thus warmth.

Any advice for a synthetic puffy to get its puff back? Dryer balls, like you fluff down with? Or is it just time to replace and move on?

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Time to replace and move on. Synthetic insulation loses its puff much more quickly than down, especially if it's repeatedly compressed into a stuff sack or whatever. And it will not re-puff like down, at least not anywhere close to where it started from. 500+ days is a good life, time to get a new one.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Time to replace and move on. Synthetic insulation loses its puff much more quickly than down, especially if it's repeatedly compressed into a stuff sack or whatever. And it will not re-puff like down, at least not anywhere close to where it started from. 500+ days is a good life, time to get a new one.
:( Not what I want to hear, but probably what I need to…

And if this is the case, what’s everyone’s favorite synthetic puffy mid layer?

The Thermoball has treated me well, but TNF has changed their sizing a bit…and now I seem to be in between sizes.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd give it a try with washing & tennis balls if it hasn't been washed / washed recently. Synthetic insulation breaks down over time, but it could also be dirt & oil causing clumping.

If you decide to switch brands, the Thermoball is a 60gsm Primaloft Gold fill with a polyester face fabric, which is replicated all over the market. (Same as the Orvis Drift Vest, Patagonia Nano Puff, LL Bean Packaway, and handful of other active & casual brands. If my employer happens to read this, the Drift is elite). I also like our Pro Insulated vest since it's got 30% more insulation, more breathable Polartec Alpha through the sides, and the face fabric either is Pertex or a similar product with great wind and water resistance. But it doesn't come in nearly as many color options.

If you're a fan of the older TNF vests, used ones in good condition come up all the time on Poshmark. I've been a huge fan of the Patagonia Nano, but anything with that logo attached goes for way to much on the used market, and I'll likely swap to a Thermoball once it's time to replace it, since the condition for the price is much more favorable with TNF.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd give it a try with washing & tennis balls if it hasn't been washed / washed recently. Synthetic insulation breaks down over time, but it could also be dirt & oil causing clumping.
I believe I washed it at the end of last season…and have probably worn it 10-20 times since. So shouldn’t be too dirty, but I’ll give it another wash and maybe do a slower dry with some tennis balls (with super dry heat or no heat).

I also like our Pro Insulated vest since it's got 30% more insulation, more breathable Polartec Alpha through the sides, and the face fabric either is Pertex or a similar product with great wind and water resistance. But it doesn't come in nearly as many color options.

Sounds awesome but I’ll be looking for a full jacket, not just vest. Thanks for the input on the insulation for the Thermoball and some comparable options.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@elemmac Ah - for some reason misread it as a vest. The Pro Vest has a Pro Hoodie jacket in the same build, but no hoodless version if that’s what you’re after. All the rest have hooded & hoodless jacket options in the same construction. A few have anorak or quarter zip silhouettes too

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
That puppy soft North Face Thermoball could be a certain favorite Christmas gift to your (?)dog or cat pet box. :)

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm facing the same issue with my insulated synthetic puffy. I killed an Arc'teryx Proton LT in about 3 years and then a used Nano air in just 1. Heavy use of course (wore 100+ days a year, not just skiing), often with a pack. I've been doing a lot of research and am starting to look for a heavy weight fleece as a replacement instead. From what I can tell the main advantages of these synthetic puffies are warmth to weight ratio and weather resistance. Neither of these things matter to me when I am wearing them inbounds only always under a shell. Just another thought/option for you to consider.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you choose to replace it I am a big fan of Eddie Bauer products and there size chart on the web is good and true to size.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I believe I washed it at the end of last season…and have probably worn it 10-20 times since. So shouldn’t be too dirty, but I’ll give it another wash and maybe do a slower dry with some tennis balls (with super dry heat or no heat).

Sounds awesome but I’ll be looking for a full jacket, not just vest. Thanks for the input on the insulation for the Thermoball and some comparable options.

:geek:

That is a lot of use between washes.

Wash it with the proper cleaning product, tumble dry with wool balls (tennis balls work i a pinch). Repeat if necessary.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm facing the same issue with my insulated synthetic puffy. I killed an Arc'teryx Proton LT in about 3 years and then a used Nano air in just 1. Heavy use of course (wore 100+ days a year, not just skiing), often with a pack. I've been doing a lot of research and am starting to look for a heavy weight fleece as a replacement instead. From what I can tell the main advantages of these synthetic puffies are warmth to weight ratio and weather resistance. Neither of these things matter to me when I am wearing them inbounds only always under a shell. Just another thought/option for you to consider.
So I guess 5 years was pretty solid on my end. Although, I might be not remembering how puffy it was originally, and it's changed more than I thought...haha.

I have a Mammut mid-layer fleece that I really like when I want something more breathable. But I like a puffy for everyday wear better...mostly due to the smooth surface that makes layering easy. Sometimes it takes a bit to get wool baselayers situated under the fleece, because the two materials don't slide against each other as nicely. This might be less of an issue (not REALLY an issue at all...more of an inconvenience) with a looser fleece. I would definitely recommend the Mammut Aconcagua fleece though, so soft and stretchy...though I haven't had it long enough to really test the longevity and durability.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
:geek:

That is a lot of use between washes.
Really? Maybe I should also clarify, when I say "worn 10-20 times", that includes times that I've worn it for an hour long walk around the neighborhood...it's not 10-20 full skiing/hiking/active days.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you choose to replace it I am a big fan of Eddie Bauer products and there size chart on the web is good and true to size.
I've been pretty impressed with their product, and will echo that their size chart is amazing compared to other brands...spot on.

James

Out There
Instructor
Really? Maybe I should also clarify, when I say "worn 10-20 times", that includes times that I've worn it for an hour long walk around the neighborhood...it's not 10-20 full skiing/hiking/active days.
I’d consider 20 full ski days -time to wash. Unless there were some really sweaty ones. 10-20 entirely reasonable.

Maybe he skins all day. Those people cause all sorts of problems. Like forcing helmet designs that are freezing and need head wear under. Now I’ll add, “constantly washing jackets” to my extensive list.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
You already answered your question when you commented on the changed fit! I used to use the Patagonia Nano-puff, but when it packed out I went to the Arcteryx Proton due to the great fit. Try on a bunch and see what fit you like the best.

Some are more breathable, but not super wind-resistant.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@elemmac - It doesn't sound like dirt & oil are the issue if it's that recent. Some people own jackets for years without washing, usually out of confusion and intimidation on the laundering process.

I usually wash my puffy insulation layers once or twice a year. Dirty fibers breakdown faster than clean ones, but synthetic insulation fibers are so fragile when it comes to the mechanical process of machine washing. The fibers will lose loft way faster than a dirty polyester face fabric will degrade. Sweat gets a lot of credit when it comes to smelly / dirty clothes, but a lot of BO and scuzzy feelings on clothing come from sebum and its bacterial breakdown. Assuming you're wearing a base layer, it takes a while for mids to get gross. If it passes the "full face" smell test doesn't feel oily/greasy/scuzzy, it's good for the jacket to increase that span. Oh - and if you're looking to extend the life of your next piece, putting it on delicate cycle or even hand washing can make the laundering process a gentler on the insulation.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@elemmac - if you want to keep some money local, check out the fleece at Burgeon Outdoor. All sewn in Lincoln. I just picked up some stuff for myself and family, slides decent (not nano puff easy) in a hard shell but decent, breathes well and supports a local NH company.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So I guess 5 years was pretty solid on my end. Although, I might be not remembering how puffy it was originally, and it's changed more than I thought...haha.

I have a Mammut mid-layer fleece that I really like when I want something more breathable. But I like a puffy for everyday wear better...mostly due to the smooth surface that makes layering easy. Sometimes it takes a bit to get wool baselayers situated under the fleece, because the two materials don't slide against each other as nicely. This might be less of an issue (not REALLY an issue at all...more of an inconvenience) with a looser fleece. I would definitely recommend the Mammut Aconcagua fleece though, so soft and stretchy...though I haven't had it long enough to really test the longevity and durability.
You have touched on one of my pet peeves. I think that the sleeves on a fleece or jacket should have material inside that let's you slide your arms in without grabbing the material. The inside of a sleeve is important to me when purchasing a garment. I have passed on real bargains because the sleeves are not what I want.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January