• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liberty, DPS, Head

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Well, I guess it’s time to replace my Volant Machetes. I’m 5’11”, 160lb, mid-40s, high intermediate/advanced, getting back into it. After reading lots, I’m intiqued by the following and welcome comments and/or suggestions:
  • Liberty Origin 90
  • Liberty Origin 96
  • DPS F99 Wailer
  • DPS F95 Cassiar
  • Head Kore 93

My Volants (63mm under foot if I recall) are 173, but I’m generally ok with less edge contact that they have (pretty much straight camber). I’m an East Coaster looking for something that’ll be fun East and West. I enjoy carving groomers, but I’m generally more interested in finding terrain that will present variety and challenge (trees, steeps; not cliffs), so I appreciate reasonably easy turn initiation along with good rebound if I can have both. A guy at a local store raved about the Liberty Origin line - rattled off several staff members who have them in various widths; he has the 90s in 172 (probably 5’7”) and kind of wishes he got the 96s. Incidentally, on paper, he was not a fan of the Kore (too demanding), but admittedly hadn’t skied them.

Thoughts on these skis and others, as well as length thoughts are welcome. Thanks all!

pcjer

Booting up
Skier
I've skied the DPS and Liberty, not the Head.

I'm not a huge DPS fan for some reason, although I'm looking to try the F106 at some point. The 99 and 95 just weren't for me for what I look for in a daily ski. I'm in Utah, and with the exception of this season I've come to the realization I like a bit wider ski than I thought for all around and a bit narrower for groomer days.

I bought some Liberty Origin 106s for around 300 bucks last week. I used to have the Helix 105 and loved it, although I'm around 6' 220lbs and as a soft ski in 182 I had some trouble with the tips folding on me in heavy chop. Now I use my bigger and stiffer pow skis for days where that comes into play anyway though so I'm giving them another shot in 187 length. Worst case, they are cheap enough that I'll use them once in a while on tree days, because I remember having a ton of fun on the Helix in the trees. They are light, easy to pivot, and just really fun. On firm days or days when I want to go super fast down groomers (like most of this year) I take out my Kastle MX Limited now, and they are super fun, so I don't really care that is the weak spot of the Liberty.

Again comparing to Helix (which preceded the Origin but are very similar from everything I hear), they work just fine on hard groomers and do get a little squirly in the 40 plus range. I'm guessing because how light and soft they are. Not out of control dangerous feeling, but slow down or move to the side of the run and play around instead. They are not carving skis, and I can't speak to how well the narrower ones pull it off compared to the 106s. In terms of the 106s, on soft groomers I never felt like they were an issue and am very happy on them. The rebound on the Liberty are the most fun I've experienced on any of the skis I've run through the past couple years. Playful and versatile is a good way to describe them.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I guess it’s time to replace my Volant Machetes. I’m 5’11”, 160lb, mid-40s, high intermediate/advanced, getting back into it. After reading lots, I’m intiqued by the following and welcome comments and/or suggestions:
  • Liberty Origin 90
  • Liberty Origin 96
  • DPS F99 Wailer
  • DPS F95 Cassiar
  • Head Kore 93

My Volants (63mm under foot if I recall) are 173, but I’m generally ok with less edge contact that they have (pretty much straight camber). I’m an East Coaster looking for something that’ll be fun East and West. I enjoy carving groomers, but I’m generally more interested in finding terrain that will present variety and challenge (trees, steeps; not cliffs), so I appreciate reasonably easy turn initiation along with good rebound if I can have both. A guy at a local store raved about the Liberty Origin line - rattled off several staff members who have them in various widths; he has the 90s in 172 (probably 5’7”) and kind of wishes he got the 96s. Incidentally, on paper, he was not a fan of the Kore (too demanding), but admittedly hadn’t skied them.

Thoughts on these skis and others, as well as length thoughts are welcome. Thanks all!

I skied the DPS F106 Wailer last week....a very solid, powerful, yet poppy ski. That width is a little much for me (even for the West) so I think the 99 would be perfect. I skied the 178; I think the 176 in the F99 would suit you. (I'm 5'10", 170 lbs). I think you also might enjoy the Alchemist version of the Wailer (carbon)...it's lighter, livelier, and just easier to throw around in the terrain you describe. The Alchemist construction is not as demanding as the Foundation construction, IMO.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied the Head Kore 105 width for 3 days in a row and really loved them. They work well in powder, trees and bumps, being light and super easy to initiate turns. The surprise was how stable and damp they were chasing high speed groomer zoomers around the hill. Edge to edge was fast and easy as well. I plan to demo them in a 93 width and then look for a good price on whichever width I like best.

My current skis are 93mm and I feel like they work fine in deep snow.

TS
F

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed replies! Great info on the Wailer vs Alchemist, @vanhoskier. @pcjer, the Liberty sounds a lot like what I’m looking for; it may be quite worth the risk of a late-season purchase. Do you have any strong feelings on length for someone of my size? @Crank, keep us posted about the Kore 93 demo. It sounds like I should try to find one.

All-in-all, it sounds like I’m barking up the right tree, which gives me some encouragement.

pcjer

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed replies! Great info on the Wailer vs Alchemist, @vanhoskier. @pcjer, the Liberty sounds a lot like what I’m looking for; it may be quite worth the risk of a late-season purchase. Do you have any strong feelings on length for someone of my size? @Crank, keep us posted about the Kore 93 demo. It sounds like I should try to find one.

All-in-all, it sounds like I’m barking up the right tree, which gives me some encouragement.

I would think 182 should be enough based on you being a lot lighter, but I'm no expert. I really wouldn't go shorter as they do have a lot of rocker.

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
Have not skied any DPS but have bit of experience on the Kore line and own a pair of origin 96s. The Kore is pretty light and very stiff for their weight. Not a lot of taper or rocker so they carve really well, are reasonably damp but are not the best off trail for their waist width. The libertys (90 and 96) have a ton of rocker and a tapered tail, but not a heavily tapered tip. They have stiff tails, and incredibly stiff midsections. Surprisingly, with all that rocker, they carve insanely hard and (the 96) has some of the best edgehold I have ever experienced on a 96 waisted ski. With the bamboo core they are also very light, not insanely damp, but very snappy. Will be buying next years ski with the updated rocker profile.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I skied the DPS F106 Wailer last week....a very solid, powerful, yet poppy ski. That width is a little much for me (even for the West) so I think the 99 would be perfect. I skied the 178; I think the 176 in the F99 would suit you. (I'm 5'10", 170 lbs). I think you also might enjoy the Alchemist version of the Wailer (carbon)...it's lighter, livelier, and just easier to throw around in the terrain you describe. The Alchemist construction is not as demanding as the Foundation construction, IMO.
Fwiw, the 99 is a completely different shape and rocker profile than the 106. The 99 is much more a junior partner compared to the 106. I wish all the wailer's were shaped like the 106.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fwiw, the 99 is a completely different shape and rocker profile than the 106. The 99 is much more a junior partner compared to the 106. I wish all the wailer's were shaped like the 106.
Good to know, thanks! The 99 was not there at the demo tent, I don't think. However, a 106 is too wide for most of my needs.....and too wide for my knees......

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski the ladies' version of the Liberty and love that ski. It is just so darn EASY to ski. Especially swiveling through the trees. And yet they also hold a nice carve on the hard pack. In the spring conditions at WP last week where the wind had buffed the groomers to polished marble, they actually held better than my "frontside" skis...

Dave

dmas
Skier
I own the Origin 96 in 176. I’m 5’5” 165, east coast. I’ve got half a dozen days on them in varied conditions…unfortunately I don’t have any time on the other skis you reference to compare. The Origins are a pretty interesting cross between a directional and a jibby ski. The elephant in the room with them obviously is that they have a TON of rise in the tips and tail for 96 under foot. They are essentially a skinny powder ski and behave as such in my opinion. In 3d snow they are incredible for a ski of that waist width. I’ve had them in 8-10 inches of fresh dense snow and the tips will not go under. In powder bumps they are amazing…you will want to pop of off any feature in your path. They could bring out the inner jib in even the grumpiest of EPIC Ski curmudgeons. I’m becoming a huge fan of bamboo core skis by the way (also own ON3P Billy Goats)…stuff is reasonably damp but still has a ton of pop and zing. In tight east coast trees or tight hard bumps, the Origins are fine. The tips aren’t particularly easy to throw around but the skis are pretty turny so it mitigates some of that. Not catchy at all, they are good in funky snow. I would generally opt for a bit less side cut on a ski of this width but the design seems to work for me. Neutral stance and it is surf city, put some weight a bit forward on the balls of your feet and they will turn on a dime. They always want to be doing something, on edge, turning, etc…but are not technically demanding. Really intuitive ski with a big sweet spot. Skis handle fairly heavy chop reasonably well. A bit of deflection, but not bad. They seem to have a nice even flex, stiff enough to hold up within reason but won’t work you at all in bumps and chop.

On groomers they prefer short or medium radius turns. Get them on edge and turn initiation is fluid and natural. At speed, doing large GS turns…on hard east coast groomers at least…they have a definite speed limit and start to get squirrely for me. Expect some tip flap at the very least. Blister said in their review that they have tenacious edge grip. That has not been my experience. My Bonafides have tenacious edge grip, SR95’s that I have spent some time on recently have tenacious edge grip at speed, these do not. Part of the problem might be is that I’m on the 176. These skis have a precious small amount of effective edge to begin with, on the 176 and at 165 pounds, I think this problem might be exacerbated for me. For someone who is taller and 165lbs, who can go to the next size up, then the problem might be mitigated to a degree. I detuned the tips and tails and put a 3 degree bevel on the edge. I also stuck attack 13 demos on them and moved a couple of clicks behind the factory line…the skis have a fairly new school mount point at the recommended line and this seemed to help to a degree. So, for GS turns on groomers, the Origins have been less than ideal for me. On soft groomers I suspect that they might be much better.

I like them…a real lot. Problem is that I bought them for a quiver of one travel ski. I don’t travel out west to do groomers, but at times that is the reality of it. So, I’m not sure if they will become permanent in my quiver. Might stick with my Bones or pony up for the SR95. However, for someone looking for a playful turny mid-90, that will be a blast in fresh on all but the deepest of days, these things might be the ticket.

Sponsor

Staff online