• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LIBERTY 2024-25 SCOPE Review

Craig@Vail

Booting up
Skier
2024-25 LIBERTY / SCOPE 104 REVIEW

Tested length: 188cm.

Dimensions: 134/104/124mm

Weight: 1800g flat.

Turn radius: 22.5m

Mounted on recommended line: ideal

Tester profile: 6’1”, 185-190lbs, directional inbounds resort skier, all terrain

New things are happening this year at Liberty Skis! I had the opportunity to meet with Liberty’s owner/ski designer, and sales manager, who both used the word “compliant” to describe this new ski, and now I understand why! The all-mountain, more directional, yet playful Scope, will be made in Europe, and it will have a new core of Ash and Poplar wood, no carbon or bamboo. The skis were freshly tuned with a 1 degree bottom, 2 degree side edge, and minimal detuning on tip and tail (I did detune the tip a bit more in the rockered section, after making a couple runs). I have been skiing my personal skis with a .75 bottom and 1 degree side, and I think this could be an optional tuning for this ski, for those who prefer more gradual edge engagement.

When I brought the skis in the house, my wife said “Love the graphics and color of that ski”. They have a purple-blue top sheet, that has a smooth, matte finish, similar to the Icelantic top sheet.

This ski is light, 1800g for this 188cm, and soft overall flex, with mild tip rocker, low camber underfoot, and rockered tail. This will make an ideal 50/50 ski when mounted with AT bindings! If you put this ski on edge with high angles, and rail it, you will quickly want a wide open groomed, or fresh powder run that allows high speed-longer radius (22.5m) turns. Liberty has done a nice job of blending the skis light weight, with good damping and stability. Turns on groomed runs with consistent conditions, even short radius turns, are shockingly smooth and linear, with very easy initiation (COMPLIANT). This also applies to bumps! This skis straighter profile, softer flex, and low swing weight, make this a agile ski in the bumps, even in this longer length. I would normally ski approximately a 184cm in this width underfoot in a heavier ski, but this length works well for my profile, and gives this light weight ski additional stability. The Scope does get jostled around a bit over cut up firm conditions as speed picks up, but is normal for this weight ski in these challenging conditions. The Scope is easy to “slarve” or smear your turns when you want to kill speed on steeps, or wrench tight turns in trees (COMPLIANT). It has a large sweet spot, and responds well when loading the front of the ski, or riding in a neutral upright stance. It is forgiving in a weight back position. I would recommend considering sizing up in length with this ski, based on your personal profile. I would rate the Scopes float in powder as average for this 104mm width underfoot.

Estimated pricing: $800 TBD?

Available summer 2024

Who is this for:

-With a wide sweet spot, this ski is well suited to a variety of stance, including upright, weight back, or forward position.

-Looking for a 50/50 ski, backcountry or resort, this ski has you covered.

-Looking for a lighter weight all-mountain more directional resort ski.

-Looking for a COMPLIANT ski, easy to turn at low speeds, and short radius turns.

-Agile and quick in bumps for this length and width.

IMG_0431.heic

IMG_0432.heic

IMG_0433.heic

TS
Craig@Vail

Craig@Vail

Booting up
Skier
Correct no metal in the Scope. DPS also moved the Foundation (now the “Wailer“ with poplar core for 2024-25) and the Koala (also poplar core for 24-25) out of China. Curious about next years pricing, now they are made in the US. Both Liberty and DPS were using bamboo in their cores, including the skis listed above. Looks like ash and poplar will replace bamboo In their lines. Personally, I love the characteristics of bamboo. Great damping, retains its shape, heavier. Probably easier to source in China, than Europe or USA. All 3 skis in my current personal quiver have bamboo in the core. Cheers

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
'Round here, bamboo is a curse. Please come harvest this creature of Satan.
Win-win.

Sponsor

Staff online