• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have attended a few of these and they're educational and fun.
Classes and tastings are the best! Nothing like having the opportunity to taste multiple different options back to back. Can really hone in on what you like and don’t like. And those prices are a steal. There’s a place in NYC that has great classes (Astor Center) but they are closer to $100.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Classes and tastings are the best! Nothing like having the opportunity to taste multiple different options back to back. Can really hone in on what you like and don’t like. And those prices are a steal. There’s a place in NYC that has great classes (Astor Center) but they are closer to $100.
The tastings/classes we attended had a variety of licorice, cheese, crackers, pretzels, etc. Often the instructor would first have us smell and taste the whiskey, then add a drop of water to see how it opened up, and also paired with specific foods to see how the beverage responded.
The thing that surprised me most was the piece of fruity licorice that worked well with one of the drinks.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a list of whiskey I haven't had! I've had several from the same makers though. Good to see a couple of Nevada makers on there (Frey Ranch and Smoke Wagon).
I’ve had/have a handful of them. And I’ll be looking for a few others.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's an ...... interesting ...... list, both in what it includes, and what it doesn't.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We are in Boston for the "Battle of the Cabs" dinner, part of the wine festival. In the spirit of rare splurges, I tried the Whistle Pig Boss Hog. It is good 20240118_164030.jpg
I'm not a Bourbon fan, but look what they have. Anybody want to guess what a short of the top one costs?
20240118_164043.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if it's a 1 or 2 oz drink, but top end drink is $735.

They put the good stuff in jail overnight.
20240118_232841.jpg

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know if it's a 1 or 2 oz drink, but top end drink is $735.
Yikes. That’s more than double the highest price I’ve seen. Supply and demand I suppose. The msrp for a bottle of PVW 23 is $299. A bit insane.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes. That’s more than double the highest price I’ve seen. Supply and demand I suppose. The msrp for a bottle of PVW 23 is $299. A bit insane.
We are near the financial district here. So maybe it gets bought once in a while to show off or celebrate a million dollar deal. But I'd guess it is mostly there as a halo object ... to show this is a serious bar, and to make the $100 and $200 drinks look reasonable.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
But I'd guess it is mostly there as a halo object ... to show this is a serious bar, and to make the $100 and $200 drinks look reasonable.
Probably spot on. Not too many bars have it. And I always look.

What version of the Boss Hog did you have? And what did you think? It’s slightly different every year, but is also consistently one of my favorite indulgences.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Total tater bait. I haven't had the 23, but I've had the 20 and it was good. The 15 is the best of the Pappy's, but William Larue Weller is the king of the Buffalo Trace wheated bourbon.
Yikes. That’s more than double the highest price I’ve seen. Supply and demand I suppose. The msrp for a bottle of PVW 23 is $299. A bit insane

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What version of the Boss Hog did you have? And what did you think?
The 10. They had the 9 and the 10. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it a lot. I usually drink Rye neat, but the single giant cube of good ice added a nice look, and a small amount of dilution.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
How are these classes? I just checked out the website. Every class I might be interested in is hosted by Sasha Gonzalez. So could be good or bad depending on her.

We've done the Whisky Guild's Tastings in Morristown, NJ. Underwhelming.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
How are these classes? I just checked out the website. Every class I might be interested in is hosted by Sasha Gonzalez. So could be good or bad depending on her.
I’ve had nothing but good experiences at Astor Center. I’ve taken several classes with Andy Fisher and he is excellent. I don’t recall taking any with Sacha Gonzalez, though. It looks like they have more/new instructors now. I haven’t been to a class in a couple of years (pre shutdown).

I’m sure the classes are at least somewhat instructor dependent, but if nothing else, Astor Center has a fantastic setup. They know what they are doing, and although it is not cheap, I think the value is there. I’ve discovered a few favorite wines that I would never have selected myself.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I loved the 9. But I think the 10 is actually better. Already halfway through my bottle, unfortunately. Then again, it doesn’t do any good sitting on the shelf.
Have you had the 15 year old WP? How would you compare the 10 yr BH to it?

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you had the 15 year old WP? How would you compare the 10 yr BH to it?
I’ve only had the 15 at the WP tasting room, and that was a few years ago (I think it was a 12/15/18 flight). I recall it being very good, but I cannot remember any specific tasting notes.

What I’ve appreciated about all the BH varieties is that they are different and unique. I recall the 15 being a great version of a rye, but it was still a fairly traditional rye. The BH on the other hand, because of the time it spends in different finishing barrels, has tasting notes that are different than I’ve experienced in other ryes or whiskeys. The quality and uniqueness is what makes the BH worth the price, in my opinion. The BH 10 for instance tastes a lot like a traditional rye at first, but lingers and develops. You get some sweetness and some sharpness. I’m not astute as describing tasting, but I know that everyone who has tried it with me has loved it, even a few people that are not typically keen on ryes.

Frankly I’d recommend anything from WP. I’ve liked some bottles more than others, but have never been disappointed. Some of their small batch Farmstock varieties are really interesting.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid