• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Last week I had the pleasure of skiing with 12-time Paralympic Gold Medalist, Sarah Will. Sarah was a top up and coming racer in the 80s when she suffered a spinal injury while freeskiing in Aspen. The accident left her paralyzed from the waist down. We grew up in the same neighborhood and were introduced to one another through a mutual friend. Although separated by nearly 20 years in age, we immediately hit it off. I was absolutely blown away by her drive, determination, and optimism. Not only has she become a highly decorated Paralympic athlete, but she is a dedicated advocate for the disabled community. Sarah has been working tirelessly with ski areas around the country to make them far more accessible to those with disabilities. From wheelchairs in both base area and mountain lodges to better training for lift operators helping monoskiers load the chair, Sarah has been the driving force behind these changes. Needless to say, it was a privilege to meet her and spend the day chasing her around Keystone!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's really cool, Dean! I love seeing the adaptive skiers out on the hill. She clearly rips at not just skiing, but at life!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I watched some of the Paralympics with my jaw dropped.
:eek:
Glad you got to ski with Sarah. That's rad!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome sauce!

Perhaps, if you spend some more time on the slopes with her, she can coax you into carving as high of an angle turn as she does! :D

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
way cool, she too sports a silver medal! sure quite the inspiration to many.

Like @Tricia I was pretty amazed at the athletes (speed) on the slope giving a single edge.

Looked a lovely day at that too @dean_spirito

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Holy cow, can she ski. I would not have thought that one could angulate that much and get so much on edge.

Just got home from Telluride. I noticed their adaptive program. A very significant one, serving all kinds of needs. Also noticed that kids from the local school volunteered to act as guides for the visually impaired.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
It has been really great getting to know Sarah over the last few weeks. I actually have a student who hit a tree almost 2 years ago and was left paralyzed from the waist down. This winter he got into a monoski for the first time and he described the struggle of relearning a skill that used to be second nature.

Having the opportunity to spend time with Sarah on the mountain has helped me to better understand Justin's struggle. It has also helped me find some inner peace. Justin's crash wasn't the end of his ski career. Knowing his competitive drive and determination, I suspect that it is just the beginning!

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
Dean, thanks very much for sharing that story and those pics. very inspiring!

JP

James

Out There
Instructor
We grew up in the same neighborhood and were introduced to one another through a mutual friend. Although separated by nearly 20 years in age, we immediately hit it off.
That's amazing. This video was posted by @Jim Kenney in the Bob Beattie thread. Here's Bob interviewing Sarah 20 years ago after the Nagano Olympics. Bob is at Mad River Glen.
Starts at 9:50

Sponsor

Staff online