• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange RX-130 vs. RS-130

TS
R

RunSki

Booting up
Skier
I had the new RS130 LV fit yesterday. They felt really nice in the shop. They felt really responsive and the flex progressive. I needed punching and grinding in the big toe areas of both boots. I was a bit surprised by that considering the new anatomical fit. Also had some work done on one of the ankle bones. I don't believe my old non-dual core RX required any shell work. Not a big deal, a little boot work makes me feel like I have a nice fit.

You'll want cat tracks or skitrax for sole protection as you can't replace the heel or toe on the RS without serious work or installing lifts. Wish I had seen this earlier, the RX130LV gets you near RS performance but with a grippier sole and replaceable bits.

I ended up needing canting, so this was what I chose to go with.
you can always loosen the buckles to tune stiffness, if it works for reilly mcglashan, it's good enough for me....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-orNCgbTnUU&t=259s

I did this on my old boot, so there is a good chance I will just end up doing that with these boots as well. I just like experimenting with gear a bit. I even ordered an extra pair of the softer RX Zeppas for pretty cheap. I'm interested to see the comparison between the two.

He indicated being in the regular RX, the 100mm last one vs the 97mm last LV boot. He mentioned buckling them down tighter to get more out of them, but more times than not, clamping down more is really from a boot that too big or packed out and no longer giving the solid feedback and response one is looking for.

I love the new RS130 and my old ones almost as much. But for non-race days or any time I may be doing a little hiking, I'm in the RX LV. I can't imagine hiking up spanky's in an RS slip sliding all over the place.

Yeah, the clamping them down was more about trying to get more response. When I put on both the new RX and RS in the shop, I felt like I could have skied either one with the buckles much looser.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
I did this on my old boot, so there is a good chance I will just end up doing that with these boots as well. I just like experimenting with gear a bit. I even ordered an extra pair of the softer RX Zeppas for pretty cheap. I'm interested to see the comparison between the two.

Thre RS and RX zeppas are not interchangeable because the clogs are differen.

pliny the elder

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thre RS and RX zeppas are not interchangeable because the clogs are differen.

pliny the elder
The RS is a solid lug and the RX is replaceable...changes the volume in the shell.

Vendome1888

Booting up
Skier
"The RS is a solid lug and the RX is replaceable...changes the volume in the shell. "

could you explain why/how the internal shell volume changes?
is this true for both last widths?

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
"The RS is a solid lug and the RX is replaceable...changes the volume in the shell. "

could you explain why/how the internal shell volume changes?
is this true for both last widths?

One of the biggest costs in manufacturing ski boots is the tooling. In the case of the molds, you can change internal plugs to create different wall thicknesses (and fits) from the same external molds. This is the origin of the term "plug boot".
You can also place a piece in the bottom of the mold that creates space for a replaceable toe and heel. This changes the footprint at the bottom of the clog, and requires a different zeppa to maintain the same volume and stance as the solid sole version.
Or not. Depends on the changes intended.

pliny the elder

Reactions: BMC
TS
R

RunSki

Booting up
Skier
I've really liked the RS130 LV thus far. I feel like they have a nice progressive flex, which I can adjust with the buckles and by removing the lower bolt. I've actually been skiing this configuration a bit more, but I think I'll end up putting it back in for warmer days. I also like that this mold had a line that you can use trim off the top of the front of the cuff off, allowing you to put the Booster on the liner. Its a good boot.

One of the biggest costs in manufacturing ski boots is the tooling. In the case of the molds, you can change internal plugs to create different wall thicknesses (and fits) from the same external molds. This is the origin of the term "plug boot".
You can also place a piece in the bottom of the mold that creates space for a replaceable toe and heel. This changes the footprint at the bottom of the clog, and requires a different zeppa to maintain the same volume and stance as the solid sole version.
Or not. Depends on the changes intended.

pliny the elder

Yes, this ended up being true on the Zeppas. I was told that they would be interchangable by someone at the boot shop, but that didn't end up being the case. No biggie, they didn't cost much. I don't really mind the hard boot board either; it probably has better energy transfer and the boot board in my old RX was probably closer to the new RS than RX anyway.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I believe that there have been numerous discussion to never remove both bolts, as it also effects rebound which is just as inportant.
Good to hear from you!

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
How about the toe box in both boots. Is it the same or is one have a little more room than the other?

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Looking to move to the shadow 130 lv , been in the RS 130 for 5 years. At 76 it's a real challenge to get in and out of that boot but I use a heated bag before I put them on and I have an apparatus that pulls the back off and that works too but it's a struggle.
From everything I've read I think that it's possibly that the shadow LV has a little more room than the RS130 and I'm wondering if a zip fit would be a good move to make to take up possibly needed volume.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Looking to move to the shadow 130 lv , been in the RS 130 for 5 years. At 76 it's a real challenge to get in and out of that boot but I use a heated bag before I put them on and I have an apparatus that pulls the back off and that works too but it's a struggle.
From everything I've read I think that it's possibly that the shadow LV has a little more room than the RS130 and I'm wondering if a zip fit would be a good move to make to take up possibly needed volume.

.... much more room. The instep height in particular.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are the Shadow BSLs the same compare to same size RX/RS? If not, any idea how big of an adjustment?

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
.... much more room. The instep height in particular.
This was unfortunately the most disappointing thing in particular to me

The previous shell just fit a lower instep better forcing us to change the boot mix for next year and carry the RS 130 to meet customer needs

Reactions: BMC

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
This was unfortunately the most disappointing thing in particular to me

The previous shell just fit a lower instep better forcing us to change the boot mix for next year and carry the RS 130 to meet customer needs

I think RX folks will really like next season's RS's.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I guess this may take the Shadow out of contention for my next all mtn boot. Currently in an Atomic Hawx Ultra 130, but still enjoy my old RS 130 when skiing with some non-GW bindings.
You can take up a little instep slack with a bontex shim between the boot board and liner. The Shadow skis so well, it's worth at least sticking your foot in it.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier

If you are in a newer dual core RS130, the shadow will be a little easier to get on and off. If you are in a RS130 that's prior to the dual core injection, then it's going to be a lot easier.

As noted in the post above, you can try a shim first before resorting to a $400 liner if you feel like there is too roomy of an instep.

The fit change to me going from the RS130/RX130LV to the shadow 130LV wasn't that dramatic.

Last edited:

Sponsor