• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Gang,

I was speaking with a boot fitter today who indicated that the last on a Lange RS 130 is 97 across all sizes. It would appear to be in direct contravention to all other ski boots that increase the width as the size increases. Does anyone have anything definitive on this topic? I have a pair of Raptor 140RS that I LOVE but I'm constantly packing out the liner. I've even tried a foam liner but that proves to be a temporary fix only. The Raptor is 100mm in a 28.5 and I'm hoping the Lange is narrower than the Raptor in the same size. Any insight would be appreciated before I start going through the fit process all over again.

Thanks.

Bill

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am pretty sure on the scaled shells but I have an e-mail in for confirmation.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
What your boot fitter is saying is that a size 22 and 28 are the same width? I find that extremely unlikely. Same shape scaled to the size of the boot, yes. Same absolute size, no. The Lange is a very different shape to the Head RS line. Give it a try.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have a pair of Raptor 140RS that I LOVE but I'm constantly packing out the liner. I've even tried a foam liner but that proves to be a temporary fix only.

What kind of foam liner? What about something that just about never packs out like a ZipFit?

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I've tried a Zip Fit and the 28.5 is too small on my foot and the 30.5 is too big. Go figure. I have a Boot Doc foam liner that I love but it still packs out over time. It's actually the most comfortable piece of gear I've ever had and that's saying a lot. But again, it still packs out, which tells me the last is too wide at 100mm for a 28.5. I GUARANTEE that a 98mm last would be PERFECT. I just don't know how the hell to get there since it appears they all move up in width progressively... except Lange according to this boot fitter, which doesn't make sense.

Bill

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
99% chance that your current last isn't 100mm in 28.5. Its probably more like 102 in 28.5.

Head sizes their last widths based on 27.5 -- according to folks at Masterfit University. Most size on 26.5. Width increases proportionally to shell length. I went to a session which addressed this in a good bit of detail, particularly around the effects of this scaling on sizes far from the reference size (again, 26.5).

I've never heard of a boot that doesn't scale width with length. It'd make no sense.

If anything, I'd be a Head in a 28 boot with a "100mm" last, is almost the same width as a Lange with a 98mm last in 28.5.

Stated widths aren't worth much. They are just a starting point. I wouldn't "GUARANTEE" that just changing the stated last width will result in a "PERFECT" fit. It might...but 2mm may also just be a difference in how one measures.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks. Does this mean the Lange will be the equivalent width? Should I be exploring a racing shell, which is considerably narrower but equally tough to flex?

Bill

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A Lange RS 130 should come with a good boot fitter who could steer you right on things like brand, model and width. Are you going to use someone?

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
I have a place in mind Stan and Dan's in NH. They fit my 14yo out with his race gear. Definitely knowledgable.

Right now it's all theoretical as I'm recovering from knee surgery and am hoping for a return to the slopes date of 12/15.

Bill

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some of these 130/140 boots have lower volume and snugger fit (at the same size) than others, even with same or near same reported 97 or 98 last. For example, for me with various fitters, was told that the Nordica Doberman GP 130 would be a tighter fit all around than the Lange RS 130. That apparently was the case. A good fitter is the guy who can match those things with your particular feet, style and needs.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
In my experience, the Lange is a “generous” 97 when compared to a Tecnica / Nordica 98. But that my experience and I’m no bootfitter, just have narrow feet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In my experience, the Lange is a “generous” 97 when compared to a Tecnica / Nordica 98. But that my experience and I’m no bootfitter, just have narrow feet.
Have you tried the new Lange? It is not generous by any means..not like the last generation.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Philpug - last years shell @ 97 seemed bigger than my Mach 1 98 @ 27.5 at least on my foot as I tried to find a solution for my issue.

I guess my point is that the OP should actually try on shells rather than comparing numbers across manufacturers (ask me how I know ogsmile). The earliest “new” 97’s were buckets compared to a Nordica 98.

6771315B-DBAF-4458-A4A8-F9832EAFA206.jpeg

My example above - extra foam added to liner on a 97 to take up space vs needing to get some grinding/punches on Nordica 98,

To me the 97, 98 is just a reference marker not an absolute - esp across brands.

Back to originally scheduled programming.........

Attachments

• 3FA397A6-3105-44C4-92CC-4141858C36E6.jpeg
    3FA397A6-3105-44C4-92CC-4141858C36E6.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 64

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am pretty sure on the scaled shells but I have an e-mail in for confirmation.
Yes, the shells are indeed scaled, Lange list most manufacturers base the sizing on a 26.5. Where there is a difference, Head uses a 27.5 as a reference size.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I've tried a Zip Fit and the 28.5 is too small on my foot and the 30.5 is too big. Go figure. I have a Boot Doc foam liner that I love but it still packs out over time. It's actually the most comfortable piece of gear I've ever had and that's saying a lot. But again, it still packs out, which tells me the last is too wide at 100mm for a 28.5. I GUARANTEE that a 98mm last would be PERFECT. I just don't know how the hell to get there since it appears they all move up in width progressively... except Lange according to this boot fitter, which doesn't make sense.

Bill
Yes, but how many cans of foam did he pack into the liner. Using twice as much (or more) foam will double the density and increase the duration, but make the liners harder and less comfy for some folk (and possibly pop a seam or two - been there done that -well the boot fitter did it, but I was there).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new Lange shell and liner are darn good and snug. @Tricia is in the new RS110LV and has about 80 days in it and still is wearing a knee high nylon where she would be well into a regular sock in her past Tecnica Mach 1 LV's..and looking to add some padding.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was speaking with a boot fitter today who indicated that the last on a Lange RS 130 is 97 across all sizes. It would appear to be in direct contravention to all other ski boots that increase the width as the size increases. Does anyone have anything definitive on this topic? I have a pair of Raptor 140RS that I LOVE but I'm constantly packing out the liner. I've even tried a foam liner but that proves to be a temporary fix only. The Raptor is 100mm in a 28.5 and I'm hoping the Lange is narrower than the Raptor in the same size. Any insight would be appreciated before I start going through the fit process all over again.

Don't have the experience to advise on this at all, but I just happened to try the RS130 in 28.5 yesterday, currently in Salomon XPros. My impression, as someone coming from a 100mm last, is that the RS130 (at least in 28.5) is what it says it is with respect to width, there is no sneaky ultra narrow boot hiding behind that sizing. I am probably at the 50-60th percentile with respect to width and instep height and while the most snug boot I've tried, it felt like it was designed around my foot. Don't take this one data point too seriously, I am only an early (but largish) intermediate in my first boot looking for an upgrade. However the fact that I have tended to avoid Italian mountaineering boots and rock climbing shoes for being too narrow, and liked the RS130, is not a good sign that this is the match you are looking for.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks. I’m going to look at the Raptor B3 and see if I can have it ground out to accommodate my foot. My only concern is if it’s too stiff, which when I skied it on 1 run last year was a resounding YES. I had difficulty flexing it, which is weird because it’s rated as a 120.

Bill

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks. I’m going to look at the Raptor B3 and see if I can have it ground out to accommodate my foot. My only concern is if it’s too stiff, which when I skied it on 1 run last year was a resounding YES. I had difficulty flexing it, which is weird because it’s rated as a 120.

Bill
There is no standard in boot flexes. The B3 can be softened though by cutting the saddles of the clog.

Sponsor

Staff online