• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Klaus Obermeyer 100 years and going strong.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice story in the Aspen Times here

We have met and chatted with Klaus a few times. When @SkiNurse was injured a few years ago, he sent her a sweet video message from OutdoorRetailer, wishing her "Good good betterment"

When I ski today I will wear my down jacket to honor his invention
From his Wikipedia page
...started the business in the attic of his home. There, one of the first of many innovations was born in the form of a down ski parka stitched together from his goose down comforter.
IMG_0174.jpeg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ditto! Happy Birthday.

Good article, great work ethic and sense of being. Being outside is what drove me to keep skiing.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had the honor of meeting Klaus a few times over the years. He is a class act, outgoing, and makes you feel he has known you forever. We should all strive to be like Klaus.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've never met him but I can tell by his interviews and his photos that he is a great lover of life.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice little video by the Aspen Times

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Happy birthday, Klaus. You're an inspiration.
Perhaps this was a poor bump. His birthday was last December, but there was a new article about how he's still skiing, which is why I bumped it.
I edited the title a titch.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
One of my skiing friends has said "Skiing is the fountain of youth." @Guy in Shorts has said something close to "Skiing into your 80's is winning life's lottery, as long as you have the genes to get you there." Folks like Klaus and George Jedenoff blaze the trail I hope to follow. Klaus said more than a few years back, "Ja, I am eighty eight. But I don't feel a day over eighty seven."

Here's to you, Klaus.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
What a great man and human being! I had the privilege of meeting Klaus several times in my late teens and early 20's. His close friend, Gus Gnam, owned the Sports Chalet in Bozeman, MT. I worked at another shop, The Beaver Pond. We sold Obermeyer ski wear, and Klaus always visited the store and chatted with the staff about his product, getting input of what was working and what was not for our skier market. He was always smiling and energetic. He made a huge impression on me, for sure!

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wow 101 and still so full of life and living in the moment. I saw him years ago skiing and later in the cafeteria at Aspen. Just a thrill to be in his presence . Truly inspirational.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
101 and hoisting a pint with one hand and a pair of skis in the other........I can only dream I would be doing that at that age

Sponsor

Staff online