• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Kids touring gear

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
what kind of touring set up do us have for your 8&11 yo girls? Figuring that out for my 9&11 yo’s is kinda on my to do list ...... seems like limited options for 19.5 & 20.5 boot sizes without getting pretty creative or pretty $$$$ but I’m sure I’m missing something ....

Nope, creative or expensive are your options ;-)

My oldest could already rent (adult) gear last year: size 23 boots, 150cm skis, DIN 4 was iffy.
On our local resort ski the other day she used backcountry XC skis with kicker skins and I carried her DH gear in my pack. Out west she will rent gear again(now at 24.5 boots, 160cm skis, DIN 4.5)

My Youngest needs DIN 2.5. Two options: Hagan Z02 Jr frame binding(what she has now). Last year she used the Camp USA binding adapter. (Same idea as Alpine Trekkers). Horrible(for us) every time she fell, they would pop out. Others have reported success though.

Youngest has size 22 boots: she is using Women’s Salomon Mtn Explore boots. I cut down the height and softened the flex.

Once they are at DIN 3 and 4 more binding options become possible:
Fritschi Scout and Tyrolia Ambition 10. Also Dynafit ST Rotation 7.

For boots have a look at Technical Cochise Kids boots, but check the model, different years and models are around with and without walk mode. Not sure if they go so small though.

With frame bindings you can use regular kids boots. As long as they aren’t super tall or super tight. Opening up the ankle buckles and only closing the lower foot buckles.

Last year we had Dalbello, Jaxx, these have Gripwalk soles, and more kids boots do now i think

Last edited:

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Slim thank you this is really all the new that's fit to print on this topic ... we were still at 2.25 and 2.5 dins and small boots so there really aren't that many options. Like last winter I'm kinda tempted to try the frame bindings but don't know anyone who has them that we can borrow and at $400 a pop it's kind of a big experiment. With my smallest kid I carry her gear in a pack and pull her up in a sled, that generally works fine ... she chats and yells at me to go faster:doh: I might try looking into xc rental gear for the other 2, that's a good idea. Cant wait until they get a little bigger and more options open up! Post pics when u guys go out ... ty for the info

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Hagan bindings are a great option, the way I look at it, they are alpine bindings that can tour. So, most of the time, they are used just like alpine bindings. So not much of a gamble, it’s a proven system, but yes, a big financial whollop, which is why I held off for my oldest.

if you read German there is a fun book: Skitouren mit Kindern, available for sale on Amazon US.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
My mom speaks german, perfect xmas read aloud. Now I know what we'll be doing when were not skiing .... it could be worse, singing xmas songs, tx! Borrowing skis w the Camp USA adaptor thing this wknd and will give it a whirl w my oldest kid, the one who's been really bugging me to get out. Our friend who we are borrowing from says they are great for his son so who knows? Will let u know how it goes down

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_4059.JPG

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Slim thanks for the motivation. We’ve been getting out and having a lot of fun! Funny thing about the Hagan bindings, the smallest they go is 22.5 bc you need an adult size heel & toe piece. So we’ve been making do with borrowed adaptors (the family that bought them hated them) and they actually are ok.
78CC9568-809C-44FB-B7E6-A735FE795D5E.jpeg

6616C2CA-6719-45AE-9A0A-6CCB2D66C598.jpeg

B5094E22-99CB-4550-BB33-97B57B11AF45.jpeg

This is from bootpacking but included just bc kid #1 is clearly loving the whole backcountry thing ....
522E07D1-99DC-44F4-9069-4E50B0F294C9.jpeg

Need to figure out a non-sled option for the 7yo. She is way too big! But too small to really get around on her own in a lot of snow .... All ears for any ideas ... happy skiing

Sponsor