• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kendo’s 177 or 184?

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Hello all. Not sure I’d I should post this sizing question here or in the hardgoods Forum.
I’m going to switch from older brahmas to kendo 88s just for a change. I would appreciate any sizing advice. I’m 6 foot 175-180lb. Advanced skier but about to hit 60 so slowing down a bit. 180 cm v 183/4 kendo?

My Brahmas were 180 and psychologically I always thought they were a tad short for faster groomers. But then I’d hit a few moguls and a bit of trees and didn’t think about it. So anyone have any advice about sizing up this time. I plan to use them for east coast mostly groomer terrain …..I have a wider ski for out west and rare pow days in the east. Thanks in advance for any thoughts

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Answer #1 - Neither.

Answer #2 - Kendo (gen 5) only comes in 170, 177 & 184.

Answer #3 - Since you asked. 177.

Answer #4 - If you are on groomers mostly in the east - One of the better Deacon in 177. Or even a 172.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
That Deacon 84 looks like a nice ski. It’s high on my list to replace my 2014-2016 Kastle MX83s which are remarkably versatile for off-piste and really good/fun for most groomer work.
I’m close to OPs size and I’d probably choose the 177 or 182 but I haven’t skied them.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Kendo 184 is one heck of a ski. It needs a lot of real estate.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure I’d I should post this sizing question here or in the hardgoods Forum.

Yeah, nobody is exactly how those two categories shake out. Either one works.

I plan to use them for east coast mostly groomer terrain

177 will zippier and funner, for sure.

Answer #1 - Neither.

Post #1 tells the OP that none of his preferred options are correct. Even for Ski Talk, I suspect this may be a new record!!! :golfclap:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Probably 177.

I agree with @KingGrump about the Deacons being better for at least the groomer part. And if you are only doing milder bumps and such,
and for a small percentage of your day, then Deacons might be an upgrade for most of what you'd do.

I think you sort of answered your own question with your description of the Brahma you have, and the longer one you sometimes aspire to.
177 will carve really well, and be more optimal in the trees and bumps, while the 184 will carve longer turns with more stability at speed,
but maybe be a handful off piste, in trees and bumps, just as you figured with your old Brahmas, versus a longer version.

So do you want to do mainly longer turns at speed, or a bit shorter turns super carving - with better handling where your short Brahma
would have better handling?

(I will assume you had an older Brahma, rather than the recent version. If so, it's damper and perhaps more versatile a bit than the Kendo,
but the Kendo has the slightly better carve, though not by much.)

(If it's most recent Brahma version, then the 177 Kendo carves and handles better,
to me, though maybe less damp at times.)

The 177 will carve slightly better than the older, to me better version Brahma on smooth surfaces, and be a bit less damp and versatile,
for my profile, in the moguls and woods.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello all. Not sure I’d I should post this sizing question here or in the hardgoods Forum.
I’m going to switch from older brahmas to kendo 88s just for a change. I would appreciate any sizing advice. I’m 6 foot 175-180lb. Advanced skier but about to hit 60 so slowing down a bit. 180 cm v 183/4 kendo?

My Brahmas were 180 and psychologically I always thought they were a tad short for faster groomers. But then I’d hit a few moguls and a bit of trees and didn’t think about it. So anyone have any advice about sizing up this time. I plan to use them for east coast mostly groomer terrain …..I have a wider ski for out west and rare pow days in the east. Thanks in advance for any thoughts
I’d say 177 for sure.

TS
K

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes I meant 177cm for the smaller size..must have been thinking about my old Brahma 180s.

my OP was probably not worded well. while I appreciate a true frontside carver…I wanted something a bit more all mountain…the kendo seems to hit the right spot . But as per the post I seem to be in between sizes - or the 177 although appearing short on paper may be fine in realty ….

Last edited:
TS
K

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Probably 177.

I agree with @KingGrump about the Deacons being better for at least the groomer part. And if you are only doing milder bumps and such,
and for a small percentage of your day, then Deacons might be an upgrade for most of what you'd do.

I think you sort of answered your own question with your description of the Brahma you have, and the longer one you sometimes aspire to.
177 will carve really well, and be more optimal in the trees and bumps, while the 184 will carve longer turns with more stability at speed,
but maybe be a handful off piste, in trees and bumps, just as you figured with your old Brahmas, versus a longer version.

So do you want to do mainly longer turns at speed, or a bit shorter turns super carving - with better handling where your short Brahma
would have better handling?

(I will assume you had an older Brahma, rather than the recent version. If so, it's damper and perhaps more versatile a bit than the Kendo,
but the Kendo has the slightly better carve, though not by much.)

(If it's most recent Brahma version, then the 177 Kendo carves and handles better,
to me, though maybe less damp at times.)

The 177 will carve slightly better than the older, to me better version Brahma on smooth surfaces, and be a bit less damp and versatile,
for my profile, in the moguls and woods.
Thanks for the reply . my Brahmas Are the old 2015 version….as per my last post I should have said Id be using it for groomers but would like a bit of versatility. Just have not used anything sub 180 since I had some true front side carvers like the old Volkl 5 star and the Rossignol CX .Now that was a fun frontside only ski for sure….

Attachments

• IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    719 KB · Views: 1

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have that pair also in 180(!), now mostly played out, and a newer one in 173 (still an older version).
The 180 is stronger for longer turns (and bigger folk), and the shorter one I downsized to, on purpose -
to give shorter carves on groomers, and be a cheater ski in bumps and trees, which it is.

It just depends on how you want to ski it. If you are, say, a speed skier, keeping up with friends and kids who barely turn,
then you'll notice trouble keeping up on a short carving ski. But the 177 will be more medium turns - less work scrubbing speed,
or adding it - just a happy medium, with great stability on the carve - and able to keep up, if not quite optimally.

The Kendo is such a top and dialed in ski that there is no loss of stability at all carving those medium but versatile length turns (with some turns long or shorter), just standout. (But for riding the rail in SG turns, not so much. For that, a longer length, or a different ski.)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes I meant 177cm for the smaller size..must have been thinking about my old Brahma 180s.

my OP was probably not worded well. while I appreciate a true frontside carver…I wanted something a bit more all mountain…the kendo seems to hit the right spot . But as per the post I seem to be in between sizes - or the 177 although appearing short on paper may be fine in realty ….

If you want to wander off piste, go with the Kendo 177. Make sure it's a gen 5 (2023 or 2024).

I am a Kendo guy. On pair #8 since 2011. The gen 5 is silky. I am off piste 90% of the time.
My son is #230+ and he is perfectly happy with the 177. He is a lot stronger and much younger than I am. Not to mention much more proficient technically.
The 177 will be enough ski even for speed. If it wobbles at speed, check the skier first.

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm using 177. I'm 6' 210lbs (trending toward 190). I'm an upper intermediate (advanced intermediate according to instructors but I don't feel that way)

I use them on groomers and its plenty for me. I have the 2024 skis and they are awesome. Put them on late in the day when the sun went down over Okemo and things hardened up. Where my Head e-v8 skis were getting flicked around from hard tracks, the Kendos were blasting through them. Very good ride and ultra stable feeling.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
The difference between any two lengths of the same ski that have exact same construction. The shorter one will be slightly easier to turn and control, the longer one will give you slightly better stability at speed.

With that said, based on what you described, I would go with the 177.

Of course, I have been wrong before. LOL

Rick G

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
late to the party, but I agree 177cm. IMO the 184cm gets significantly stiffer, and makes the ski less adept at moguls and trees if you aren't quite heavy and/or really good.

Sponsor

Staff online