• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 Boot Problems?

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Appreciate the transparency. Wasn’t trying to imply that there some fault of k2 over other brands. More just curious about my recon boa. Did I need to pay attention etc? But it seems it’s just normal issues not a bad batch etc.
Yeah just ski them and enjoy them but know if you ever do have an issue we will replace any and all boots.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
My K2 BFC 120 boots failed. Both of the Velcro cuff straps broke at the obvious place where the K2 genius designers decided to add a cut-out to decrease the strength of the straps. I repaired them by drilling out the weird cam rivets at the back of the cuff and replacing with Amazon Velcro straps: STRAPS

0403241654.jpg

0403241654a.jpg

0403241654b.jpg

0403241655.jpg

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
My K2 BFC 120 boots failed. Both of the Velcro cuff straps broke at the obvious place where the K2 genius designers decided to add a cut-out to decrease the strength of the straps. I repaired them by drilling out the weird cam rivets at the back of the cuff and replacing with Amazon Velcro straps: STRAPS

View attachment 232220

View attachment 232221

View attachment 232222

View attachment 232223
Out of interest did the straps tear skiing or when carrying the boots?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Out of interest did the straps tear skiing or when carrying the boots?

Neither. The straps tore while putting boots on in the lodge. I don't carry the boots by the straps, I carry them in a boot bag. It just looks like a poorly designed strap with that cut-out right where you want the maximum strength for the strap.

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Neither. The straps tore while putting boots on in the lodge. I don't carry the boots by the straps, I carry them in a boot bag. It just looks like a poorly designed strap with that cut-out right where you want the maximum strength for the strap.
Interesting well sorry for your issue with this strap thank you for the feedback. We have used that strap design for quite a while now and have not seen issues arising from the design. If you do pull the strap very tight we did upgrade the strap on the bfc 130 to use our cam buckle strap. That strap is designed to allow the user to tighten the strap more than the Velcro one. But again sorry you had this issue.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting well sorry for your issue with this strap thank you for the feedback. We have used that strap design for quite a while now and have not seen issues arising from the design. If you do pull the strap very tight we did upgrade the strap on the bfc 130 to use our cam buckle strap. That strap is designed to allow the user to tighten the strap more than the Velcro one. But again sorry you had this issue.

Tom, I looked up that BFC 130 and the strap on it looks wonderful. Can you find out how I could order a pair to retrofit into my BFC 120 boots? Thanks a million.

-- Pat Chewning (Very satisfied K2 BFC 120 owner, except for the strap)

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Tom, I looked up that BFC 130 and the strap on it looks wonderful. Can you find out how I could order a pair to retrofit into my BFC 120 boots? Thanks a million.

-- Pat Chewning (Very satisfied K2 BFC 120 owner, except for the strap)
We have the booster version of our cam buckle strap available as an aftermarket part. You could contact our customer service in whichever region you are in and enquire about getting a pair. They are designed for the none adjustable calf boots but you seem capable enough to be able to modify them seeing how you fixed your current issue.

Robert1234

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I broke a top buckle wire loop on my FT Ascent (K2 Diverge) boots. And I am having difficulty finding replacements, I live in Switzerland. Can anyone suggest where I can find replacement wire loops?

Its still snowing here and the lifts are closed in my area but Im still skinning up the local mountain. So I used a wire loop from a DalBello Lupo and it was way hard to muscle it in place, am I doing it wrong or is there a special tool Im supposed to be using on the top buckle anchor? Maybe there's some instructions somewhere?

Is this a common thing to happen? Is it recommended to replace all the wires occasionally? My boots are the second season model (2019).

I wouldnt want to be stuck off piste with broken gear but its so hard to replace that carrying spares seems impractical. I carry 2 long ski straps which I combined together and wrapped them around the boot and didn't even notice a change in boot performance downhill.

I have skied some form of Raichle/ Kneissl/ Full Tilt Flexon boot since the mid 1980's and they are wonderful in powder and moguls so when FT started making the pin tech boot I was very happy and I am pleased that K2 is carrying on the tradition.

Thanks much

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
I broke a top buckle wire loop on my FT Ascent (K2 Diverge) boots. And I am having difficulty finding replacements, I live in Switzerland. Can anyone suggest where I can find replacement wire loops?

Its still snowing here and the lifts are closed in my area but Im still skinning up the local mountain. So I used a wire loop from a DalBello Lupo and it was way hard to muscle it in place, am I doing it wrong or is there a special tool Im supposed to be using on the top buckle anchor? Maybe there's some instructions somewhere?

Is this a common thing to happen? Is it recommended to replace all the wires occasionally? My boots are the second season model (2019).

I wouldnt want to be stuck off piste with broken gear but its so hard to replace that carrying spares seems impractical. I carry 2 long ski straps which I combined together and wrapped them around the boot and didn't even notice a change in boot performance downhill.

I have skied some form of Raichle/ Kneissl/ Full Tilt Flexon boot since the mid 1980's and they are wonderful in powder and moguls so when FT started making the pin tech boot I was very happy and I am pleased that K2 is carrying on the tradition.

Thanks much
Hi sorry to hear you had a cable snap. I would try blue tomato and see if they have some in stock. Spare parts are a little harder to source in Europe as we do not have a great direct to consumer web service over there yet so trying retailers will be your best bet unfortunately.

As for if its common as with any part on a boot it can wear and break but its not certainly something we see often so no need to be concerned and unless you were doing a very remote multi day trip I would not worry about having spares on hand.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
We have the booster version of our cam buckle strap available as an aftermarket part. You could contact our customer service in whichever region you are in and enquire about getting a pair. They are designed for the none adjustable calf boots but you seem capable enough to be able to modify them seeing how you fixed your current issue.

Straps are on the way. Thank you @TomPietrowski

From K2:
Due the need to remove the calf adjustment rivets on the BFC 120 and BFC 130 boots, we do not consider the power strap to be a replaceable part. As such, we do not have the BFC 130 cam buckle power strap available as a spare part.

However, it looks like you have been able to remove the calf adjustment rivets and properly attach a replacement power strap to the BFC 120 boots. While we do not have a BFC specific power strap to send you, we have instead submitted a parts order for a replacement Recon/Mindbender power strap on your behalf at no charge.

TomPietrowski

Getting on the lift
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Straps are on the way. Thank you @TomPietrowski

From K2:
Due the need to remove the calf adjustment rivets on the BFC 120 and BFC 130 boots, we do not consider the power strap to be a replaceable part. As such, we do not have the BFC 130 cam buckle power strap available as a spare part.

However, it looks like you have been able to remove the calf adjustment rivets and properly attach a replacement power strap to the BFC 120 boots. While we do not have a BFC specific power strap to send you, we have instead submitted a parts order for a replacement Recon/Mindbender power strap on your behalf at no charge.
Perfect yeah that is the power strap you want! Glad you got it sorted

Robert1234

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi sorry to hear you had a cable snap. I would try blue tomato and see if they have some in stock. Spare parts are a little harder to source in Europe as we do not have a great direct to consumer web service over there yet so trying retailers will be your best bet unfortunately.

As for if its common as with any part on a boot it can wear and break but its not certainly something we see often so no need to be concerned and unless you were doing a very remote multi day trip I would not worry about having spares on hand.
Thanks

Sponsor

Staff online