• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a test worth keeping. :)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sign me up.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Normally I don't like getting all psyched up watching ski videos unless I can go powder skiing the next day. ...It turns out Sun Peaks opens tomorrow.:yahoo:

And I can be at Valhalla Powdercats in just over 6 hours.:daffy:

TS
Willy

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
sold booked for end of feb with party of 5. any suggestions recommendations

Not really, other than to have a great time. It's a really fun zone that they ski in. If I had one suggestion it would be to try and get another 5 people to sign up with you so you have a good group of similar skiers. Sometimes you can get into a group that may not have the same skill as you and your runs become less than what you would like to ski. That would be the only thing I would suggest. Are you planning to stay in Nelson?

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
Not really, other than to have a great time. It's a really fun zone that they ski in. If I had one suggestion it would be to try and get another 5 people to sign up with you so you have a good group of similar skiers. Sometimes you can get into a group that may not have the same skill as you and your runs become less than what you would like to ski. That would be the only thing I would suggest. Are you planning to stay in Nelson?

family trip- all brothers but mixed ability. do you know how willing they are to bring you into advanced terrain? and believe were staying in the best western there. going red, cat, white water, cat. open to any other location.
thanks in advance

TS
Willy

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
They're willing to take you into as advanced terrain as they think your group can handle. They'll also help with coaching the lesser skiers in the group on powder skiing and making them better. It's actually pretty amazing how well a newbie powder skier can advance with some close instruction like the guides can provide, assuming there's underlying athletic skills and conditioning to work with. Afterall, the guides are there to ski and want to ski the best terrain they have, too. More importantly, though is that they want to make sure the clients have a good time with safety as the paramount consideration. It's very unlikely they'll get people into situations they can't manage but they'll also probably push the current limitations to expand each's ability to ski better and more challenging terrain.

All of that said, it also depends on current conditions and stability. I've had more than one occasion where we've stayed pretty mellow on terrain just because conditions were pretty sketchy. I will add that on the trip when we shot this video, we stayed relatively mellow as we had triggered two Class 2 slides on that trip. The guides were pretty wound up after that.

Sounds like you have a pretty good trip worked out. How many days at Valhalla are you doing? That, too will determine how quickly you can get to more advanced terrain. To do it right, I feel you need at least three days there.

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
They're willing to take you into as advanced terrain as they think your group can handle. They'll also help with coaching the lesser skiers in the group on powder skiing and making them better. It's actually pretty amazing how well a newbie powder skier can advance with some close instruction like the guides can provide, assuming there's underlying athletic skills and conditioning to work with. Afterall, the guides are there to ski and want to ski the best terrain they have, too. More importantly, though is that they want to make sure the clients have a good time with safety as the paramount consideration. It's very unlikely they'll get people into situations they can't manage but they'll also probably push the current limitations to expand each's ability to ski better and more challenging terrain.

All of that said, it also depends on current conditions and stability. I've had more than one occasion where we've stayed pretty mellow on terrain just because conditions were pretty sketchy. I will add that on the trip when we shot this video, we stayed relatively mellow as we had triggered two Class 2 slides on that trip. The guides were pretty wound up after that.

Sounds like you have a pretty good trip worked out. How many days at Valhalla are you doing? That, too will determine how quickly you can get to more advanced terrain. To do it right, I feel you need at least three days there.

only 4 days on snow, quick boys trip. can only swing two days on cat but was thinking white water would be a good in between. been spoiled w/ snow on our last few trips. 3’ at whistler/ 3-4 at kicking bourse/ revelstoke. so we kinda got addicted to powder

TS
Willy

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Are your two cat days split by your time at White Water? Are both days at Valhalla? If so, I would recommend going Red, two days at Valhalla, WW in that order. That way you'll get better use of your time at Valhalla as you should only have to go through avy training the first day (otherwise, you may have to do it twice which wastes some time) and your guide will give you a better second day as he/she will be more familiar with you. And powder addiction......yeah, it's real. :)

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
Just came back from an epic trip with Valhalla Powdercats. Really well run and knowledgeable operation. Skied with Lead guides “Nezbo” and Josh with Tammy and Jacob sweeping the back. Highly recommend checking them out if your in the area. Our group had a wide array of ability levels (strong intermediate to expert) and willingness to push limits and the guides were easily able to keep the whole cat stoked. Only nervy moment is when we kinda stayed from the group and were asked to stay still near Big trees while Josh had to “dig a pit”. we are from the east coast and didn’t fully understand until we were given the all good. Was amazed on how well the guides tracked the group and kept us all safe. This will definitely be a return trip for us and only thing we will prob do differently is to book more days

Our small group are prob in the strong intermediate to advanced level for powder. Expert on east coast ice.

If you like powder trees and steep trees this operation is close to heaven. link is a quick cut of some of the glades we were skiing

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snow, trees, cat skiing...these are a few of my favorite things!

Sponsor

Staff online