• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joined recently

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
I joined a few months ago but just saw this section.

I live in NYC. I've been a regular at Mount Snow VT since I was a kid in the 80s. Now I ski there with my family about every other weekend and holidays. My wife and I used to do annual trips to ski at various locations in the West (we met skiing in Lake Tahoe) but haven't done so since we had kids over 10 years ago. I spent one fantastic winter working/skiing in Park City.

I obviously have a fondness for Mount Snow but feel like I have a sober sense of its strengths and weaknesses. To me it represents a reasonable trade-off between quality/quantity of terrain and proximity to NYC.

My favorite ski destination is Fernie in BC but it's a bit of a haul to get there.

I have been at different times a skier, skier/snowboarder and, now, skier/telemarker. The telemarking was initially to allow me to enjoy myself at slow speeds when my kids were first learning but now it's just a really fun way to get down the mountain (or up the mountain on days when the lift lines are long).

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Funny conversation today. Riding with two snowboarders, there's a tele guy passing underneath. I don't know these two guys, just got on the lift with them, I'm old, they're young, no general interaction. So one guy starts explaining to the other that the guy below is a telemark skier and how it differs from the people walking up on AT gear. And that with AT, you click your heel in to go down, but that you don't in tele. And the second guy says, "Why would you want to do THAT???" And I just burst out laughing. And then said, "Maybe he got bored and needed a new challenge." Which he seemed to accept as legitimate.

TS
LegacyGT

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Welcome @LegacyGT ! Between being from NYC and (I assume) being a Subaru fan, I think you'll continue to fit right in around here.
NYC yes. Sadly though it's been a while since I had a Subaru. My family grew with 2 kids and large dog so the Legacy GT Wagon had to go. But the login/username remains.

TS
LegacyGT

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
And the second guy says, "Why would you want to do THAT???" And I just burst out laughing.
It's not all that easy to explain rationally. But spending lots of good money to go out in the cold and risk injury to slide on the snow isn't all that rational in the first place. Freeing up the heel doesn't really change the equation that much.

Sponsor

Staff online