• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Burke Trek CEO Speaks..

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
its an interesting article. What it left out is the boom in gravel and adventure riding. the bottom line is people dont want to ride on USA roads. Its tollerable here but no way I would ride in more congested areas. I like how they cited Boulder for rider numbers but take a look at the bike/car accidents in the Boulder/denver area.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm peripherally involved in cycling infrastructure here the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). As you can imagine, cycling here in winter is not fun. In Toronto proper there is a fairly decent investment in infrastructure and decent cycling numbers. Outside of Toronto proper, it's not as great but there is some work being done. However, we just got back from Orlando..ORLANDO...and there is ZERO infrastructure there. Imagine the climate difference. Still no buy-in. I can only say, it's an uphill battle in most places and I wish Mr. Burke and friends all the best.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
we just got back from Orlando..ORLANDO...and there is ZERO infrastructure there. Imagine the climate difference. Still no buy-in.

As someone who lived in a FL city and a city with a climate like Toronto (Minneapolis) for a number of years...I'd take the Minnesota climate any day of the week for bike commuting. Even if it means a winter commuter with studded tires.

The historical geography also typically makes northern cities way more likely to be friendly to bike transport than the majority of southern and western cities built primarily in the 1950s and after.

I like this checklist.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
As someone who lived in a FL city and a city with a climate like Toronto (Minneapolis) for a number of years...I'd take the Minnesota climate any day of the week for bike commuting. Even if it means a winter commuter with studded tires.

The historical geography also typically makes northern cities way more likely to be friendly to bike transport than the majority of southern and western cities built primarily in the 1950s and after.

I like this checklist.
I'll debate the first point... :D But absolutely on the second point.. As fast as you can build the subdivision road, you have urban sprawl down there..

Sponsor

Staff online