• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jetta Wagon will be going back...what are our options?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With a buyback looming, We will need to replace our 10 JSW TDI. We looking used in the 10-15K range. Needs...
  • Mileage, I need to get as close to 30 as possible, I know I won't get the 40 that I got in my JSW
  • Space, we need to put 180cm skis (6' to you non skiers) straight behind the front seats. I need to still be able to have a 3rd persson in the back seat
  • Stick would be nice
  • AWD a plus but not needed. If it is real bad we will take our Yukon XL
  • Ideally in the 70K range for miles on the odometer.
  • Reliable. We will put 25K/yr on it.

Obvious choice is an Outback. I really don't like the 09-12 Foresters, had one, worst Subaru I owned. BMW X3? How are they for reliability and mileage? How are the new Mazda CX-5's, @AmyPJ ? Sold Volvos so no XC70 or XC90, MPG is too low and too costly to repair. What other options am I missing? Could VW put a huge incentive on the new Golf Sportwagen TSI to make that enticing?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No CR-V 'coz of the CVT?
it is an option. Not saying it is not. I will say, IF we go new and spend close to $30K, the Subie is tough to beat. IF VW creates a loyalty program that brings the Golf Sportwagen TSI LTD down close to $20K, that becomes a consideration, while we would like AWD, it is not needed, I would be happy to pick up 5 MPG and just put an AWD label on the back

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why the crucial need for skis behind front seats? Ski box not an option?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have the box but I don't like driving around with it all winter. Plus if the vehicle is any taller than our TDI, it won't fit in the garage with it on.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I absolutely love the CX-5. The only way 180cm skis will fit straight down the middle is if they partially sit on the center console, however, the rear seats do fold 40/20/40 so you can easily squeeze a third person back there. The 20% center fold slot is where my skis go if I am only bringing two pair. It gets right around 29MPG regularly, except on winter blend gas here in UT, around 28. That's with quite a bit of mountain driving and I'm not exactly trying to hyper-mile it. It has that typical Mazda zoom zoom, can be manually shifted, and has a sport mode that has the same effect as dropping from 5th to 4th on the freeway in manual, and it also tightens the suspension. Really fun little car! Zero issues with it, too, which I can't say for our previous Camry, which had warped rotors and loose seats and rattling side mirrors and several recalls.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 2¢, given the option I'd rather keep skis in the vehicle simply because I have a lead foot and think the ubiquious vehicle would be less likely to get pulled over then one sporting an expensive ski box.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My 2¢, given the option I'd rather keep skis in the vehicle simply because I have a lead foot and think the ubiquious vehicle would be less likely to get pulled over then one sporting an expensive ski box.
You think people get pulled over because they have roof boxes? :huh:

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier

It is not the box - it is the driver and to a lesser extant the vehicle. I doubt cops consider whether there is a box on a vehicle. When we are headed north for skiing there are too many cars and SUVs with boxes for that to be a consideration. Our main reason for avoid using the box is noise.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is not the box - it is the driver and to a lesser extant the vehicle. I doubt cops consider whether there is a box on a vehicle. When we are headed north for skiing there are too many cars and SUVs with boxes for that to be a consideration. Our main reason for avoid using the box is noise.
Mine is loss of MPG, the box pushes a lot of wind.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a small drop in MPG for us in our Touareg TDI, but if I dropped from 75 to 70 I would not notice the difference.
Yeah. We don't notice the difference with the Yukon but with the smaller motor in the Jetta, we notice it for sure

James

Out There
Instructor
How many 180cm skis donyou need to carry? And are we talking 183's?
The Ford Escape will do it. Kind of need them at an angle, can still have one rear seat available. But more than a couple is a prob unless short person in front pass. No manual trans. Select shift sucks tbh, but it does allow hill decents and climbs to be decent.

I take it Ford doesn't have their Focus Diesel wagon in the US?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple related options I'd consider:

My sister has an Acura TSX wagon with a six-speed. Awesome vehicle, but hard to find and maybe not in your price/mileage range. But, it needs premium fuel and given the miles you are driving that would really suck.

So, I'd really consider (and have) its slightly detuned and cheaper sibling: Honda Accord four-cylinder with a six-speed. Yeah, it's plane-jane, but it's truly a fun drivers car and gets amazing mileage. That's a rare combination, and I think the Accord meets or exceeds all your requirements. With the 60/40 folding rear seat added at some point, you could fit both your skis and a third person inside the vehicle. And, as one of the most reliable vehicles available you could happily drive it to 200K+ miles.

But wait, there's more! You could even find a certified used Accord within your price and mileage parameters. Here's a cars.com search with a handful.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How many 180cm skis donyou need to carry? And are we talking 183's?
The Ford Escape will do it. Kind of need them at an angle, can still have one rear seat available. But more than a couple is a prob unless short person in front pass. No manual trans. Select shift sucks tbh, but it does allow hill decents and climbs to be decent.

I take it Ford doesn't have their Focus Diesel wagon in the US?
Not uncommon to have 2-3 pair 180's. The new Escape sucks for fuel economy, low 20's. The previous one was just a POS. Most of these small SUVs get lousy mileage.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, go from the frying pan into the fire? Actually, not the worst option, someone on Vortex actually suggested a Saab 9-3X. No thanks.
Hey! We have two 9-3s (not the X), and still going strong...

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Of the different cars, SUVs , and wagons that we have rented over the past few years, the Outback would be my choice if I was looking to purchase a good car/good mileage/good performance. Speaking of boxes on top, you might want to ask Katy Perrie how much the wind can push a box around...

Sponsor

Staff online