• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It's President's Week in Covid times. How busy is it out there?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Sunday River Maine and Black Mtn Maine this weekend. Black was empty, probably the cold, but never crowed anyways. Sunday River was not crowded at all, which surprised me. I stayed away from South Ridge, their beginner area. The parking lots were not even full, kind of surprising. The weekend before SR was much more crowded. Again, in this Covid year, I have only seen less crowds than usual, the one benefit of quarantining.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was at Sunday River Maine and Black Mtn Maine this weekend. Black was empty, probably the cold, but never crowed anyways. Sunday River was not crowded at all, which surprised me. I stayed away from South Ridge, their beginner area. The parking lots were not even full, kind of surprising. The weekend before SR was much more crowded. Again, in this Covid year, I have only seen less crowds than usual, the one benefit of quarantining.

One thing I would be curious about is if Sunday River having blackout days on the Ikon Base affects overall visitation numbers on the blackout days?

I went skiing on Sunday in Oregon and it wasn't any more crowded than normal, but with our snow/ice storms in the city it's become a lot harder for many people to get to the slopes.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A little slower than normal. Sometimes it is good to be buried away in the North Woods.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Saturday was very quiet, Sunday very busy, Yesterday was not too bad,
Today we have 3" plus ice. I took the day off to do my real job-
We'll see how the rest of the week pans out.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was talking about SR being less crowded this year with my friends. Mind you, its not that hard to avoid the crowds if your an advanced skier, even on crowded days. Last year with the same Ikon options it would get very crowed on school vacation weeks, especially if good weather. Just a lot of families at the mtn. This year they are limiting public ticket sales due to Covid. I don't know what the limit is, but it seems low enough that when you spread everyone out over 8 peaks, its not that crowded. Add the covid issues keeping people away, and it just doesn't feel all that crowded. Early season was crowded at times, as not as many lodges and peaks open. One day with wind holds, I just looked at the lines when I first got there and said no way and went home, which was a first for me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
With remote school and remote work.. many weekdays are a skiable holiday for a lot of people.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
We had a series of large snowstorms over President's Day weekend. Normally snow means more people, but these were bad enough that I think they kept a lot of people at home. So I'm not sure if it's representative because it was probably more due to the weather than anything else, but crowds were definitely way down at my local hill.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not at all - not been able to be out there all winter:(

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
At Perfect North Slopes it was less than the last several weekends but still really busy
PNS1.jpg

PNS2.jpg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Black out days were in effect at the Boat, I didnt ski Saturday but Sunday was DEAD, they literally opened up the lifts 5 minutes earlier. AND, thats with 7" at the summit. I lapped untracked and barely touched snow for 3 hours and called it a day. Today (tuesday) was actually really crowded at the open but I dont know where the people went because at the summit, it was empty till after 11. literally no waits on the lifts, people just moved through the corrals and onto chairs, I was using the singles line and literally just skied up and got on the lifts.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
At my home hill in the Pocono's it was typically crowded and new this season a "sellout". That said the area to their credit ran the lifts they needed to and it was manageable Saturday and tamer Sunday (due to some weather in the area probably). 100 % open and local knowledge made for a fun and full filling weekend. (best bump skiing of the year so far) But on the way to a friends place I got a view of the beginner area for really the first time this season. It has felt all season that there is influx of people at the area and I had wondered if it was just skiers/boarders re entering the sport or if there were plenty of newbies as well. The beginner area was packed. That's a good thing.

Presidents Day is usually about my 1/2 way point of the season and it was a different or at least an interesting 1st half. 2nd half should be pretty interesting too.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our hill was busy but not crazy. Lots of cars in the parking lot, but slopes weren't too bad and lines at the main HSQ were fairly small-not like some weekends. Seems to be lots of beginners/returnees-the main green slope (actually a run of with about 5 different names depending on where you are) was busy enough to keep you on your toes, but steeper stuff wasn't bad.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Not as busy as I would've expected here in Whitefish. Even with some fresh snow on Sunday/Monday it was still reasonably quiet.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At Sun Valley, crowds seem less than normal, but lines are as long or longer to chairs and gondola not being filled full.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was surprised at how busy Mt. Rose was today. It's a Tuesday after the holiday and the lots were dang near full. Lift lines were pretty long too, especially for mid-week. Lots of out-of-state plates (read: California plates) which I was also surprised at. With travel restrictions there seems to be fewer CA plates in the lot this season. I guess the travel restrictions have been softened. Yesterday was not busy due to high winds and lift holds; no rides to the summit, only beginner terrain. I didn't ski the weekend so no idea how it was.

Sponsor

Staff online