• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is that something to worry about?

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
Yesterday, I had skied first time in this season using that pair of skis, it has fresh wax (and storage wax before).
When I came home, I had noticed strange pattern on the bases of both skis (comes in marks). I have not seen that before and wondering, what is that and how to fix it? (is this just too much wax left from the tune?)
Thank you for your advice.

IMG_8073.jpg
IMG_8074.jpg
IMG_8075.jpg

TS
Oleg S

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
thank you.. so just scrape and brush, do not need to re-heat with iron?
again, thank you again, I thought it could be wax but since wasn't sure, safe to ask.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where have your skis been to get herpes on the bases?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
thank you.. so just scrape and brush, do not need to re-heat with iron?
again, thank you again, I thought it could be wax but since wasn't sure, safe to ask.

Yes, just scrape and brush those spots out.
It might be a good idea if you are using a hard wax, to wax once with a soft base prep wax such as Dominator Base Renew, scrape & brush good, then start again with your hard wax.
Anyway, you need to focus on better scraping & brushing. Not the end of the world!!!
BTW, what wax was that you used?

James

Out There
Instructor
Dry the skis when they get home after skiing . Looks like you have lots of light rust spots on the edges.

Jacques

Skier
Dry the skis when they get home after skiing . Looks like you have lots of light rust spots on the edges.

Ha ha! I did not look at those prior! Edges need some work.
Ski them hard. Put them away DRY!

TS
Oleg S

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
Yes, just scrape and brush those spots out.
It might be a good idea if you are using a hard wax, to wax once with a soft base prep wax such as Dominator Base Renew, scrape & brush good, then start again with your hard wax.
Anyway, you need to focus on better scraping & brushing. Not the end of the world!!!
BTW, what wax was that you used?

Red (ch8)

TS
Oleg S

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
Ha ha! I did not look at those prior! Edges need some work.
Ski them hard. Put them away DRY!

I usually do, I wipe them (ski) with towel.. but this time it took me about 12 hrs to get home, and the ski were in the ski bag in the trunk.
I know, I need to re-touch the edges to remove the rust

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Could also be a concavity on the base so OP can’t actually get the scraper down to scape the wax. Brushing however will get rid of it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Could also be a concavity on the base so OP can’t actually get the scraper down to scape the wax. Brushing however will get rid of it.

As general case, sure, but, looking at the top pic and the second pic, I don't think he's got a concavity that close to the edges, or he would certainly have noticed it when skiing.

In a bad way.

If it had been a hard wax (CH6 or harder say) OP's skis would have been textbook examples for why not scraping and not brushing is bad - you get left with zip, zero, nada as the main chunk flakes off.

Since it is soft CH8, we are forced to suspect the wax didn't go into the base properly.

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
Red (ch8)

Wow, that's a medium wax. Not hard or super hard. It must have been very cold snow to get those cracks in the wax. Or super cooled prematurely.
Did you cool the skis outdoors after the waxing? Wax should be cooled at room temps. For a red wax I'd say like two hours minimum at room temp.

Sponsor

Staff online