• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Interski 2019 Pamporovo - Technical Demo MA

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
The first technical demos from Interski 2019 sneaked out in the social media.
What can you see as differences and similarities?
Who do you like the most?

Same demo - different angle. You can hear narrator :)

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In that lot, the Austrians are by far the best, most technical and most controlled of the bunch - good skiing. Quality and disciplined releases, allowing consistent turns. And the Brits by far the worst, with massive hand and shoulder-driven rotation into each and every turn, out of control transitions etc!

As a commonality, there's the hopping most do, side-to-side. That's partially from a lowest common denominator perspective.

I'm really curious to see the APSI and NZSIA folks there!

Edit/

Just saw the CSIA as well and it's not too bad... Some of them struggled, some need better alignment and some of the commentary adds no value, but it pointed to a specific attention to smoothly releasing pressure, which is quite visible... although they chose to demonstrate it by slowing down the timing, like we wouldn't notice, but some of the skiing in there was not bad though...

Cool.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That tells you what I know. I liked the Brits the best. Poland the least. :roflmao:But there must have been more?? On the first video, at least they were labeled. Didn't watch through the second as I didn't know who was who.

Watching the third, the Canadians are now my favorite.

James

Out There
Instructor
Where was Poland?
A little vampirating going on with at least one of the Canadians. I want to hear Canadian coach John Gillies narrate! Love his voice.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
In that lot, the Austrians are by far the best, most technical and most controlled of the bunch - good skiing. Quality and disciplined releases, allowing consistent turns.
I agree. The return of the narrow stance! The Dutch were funny: unable to carve a single turn.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
In that lot, the Austrians are by far the best, most technical and most controlled of the bunch - good skiing. Quality and disciplined releases, allowing consistent turns. And the Brits by far the worst, with massive hand and shoulder-driven rotation into each and every turn, out of control transitions etc!

As a commonality, there's the hopping most do, side-to-side. That's partially from a lowest common denominator perspective.

I'm really curious to see the APSI and NZSIA folks there!

Edit/

Just saw the CSIA as well and it's not too bad... Some of them struggled, some need better alignment and some of the commentary adds no value, but it pointed to a specific attention to smoothly releasing pressure, which is quite visible... although they chose to demonstrate it by slowing down the timing, like we wouldn't notice, but some of the skiing in there was not bad though...

Cool.
The middle skier of the three skier demo- gets my vote.

James

Out There
Instructor
Incorporating tele into that is difficult. The two Finnish guys look d like they were having a rough time.

Bunch of people ski together and make patterns. It's nice. Does it mean anything? Not really.

James

Out There
Instructor
Snowboard and alpine bound skis have similar capabilites in angular velocity of turning and speed in the turn. Doesn't seem tele does. Maybe one turn, but linking two or more not so much. You could just adapt what the pattern is for the tele people and make it different.

Anyone notice the Finn who crashed at the end?

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bunch of people ski together and make patterns. It's nice. Does it mean anything? Not really.

What exactly is the intent of these demos? They seem all over the place. Some seem to be focused on precision, others on showcasing the learning progressions. Are there guidelines or are these free for all's with each country doing as they wish?

James

Out There
Instructor
What exactly is the intent of these demos? They seem all over the place. Some seem to be focused on precision, others on showcasing the learning progressions. Are there guidelines or are these free for all's with each country doing as they wish?
Those are just opening day ski extravaganzas. I guess. There's probably a time limit. Sort of self limiting though with the size of the slope. They kind of do what they want, what looks good. It's sort of a show/performance.

I didn't see any learning progressions. The guy on the pa I think for Canada talked about their philosophy. That's different.
Teaching demos, presentations etc come in the following days.

TS
PeteW

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier

If you look at the daily program http://interski2019.net/congress-programs/daily/
You will see there are

TS
PeteW

PeteW

Getting on the lift
Skier
PSIA delegates explain what are technical demos about

Loki1

Putting on skis
Inactive
If you are looking for the point in these exercises. Just look at the skill it would take to be the ones trying to sync off of the ones in front? How many of us have that kind of skill. To change our movements to something totally different than we want to regardless of terrain or surface. I would think we would all strive to that level of skill acquisition. If you don't wants the point of your own development? Oh ny the way, try it in a place where all the best of what you do is present! Probably the least stressful environment you could ask for. Come on guys. Lets give these guys props for showing up and doing what they do. Most of us have no idea how hard what they do is!

Sponsor

Staff online