• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Interesting video on eye color perception from Zeiss

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a promotional video for Zeiss Sonar lenses, and it explains interesting science on the light spectrum and eye color perception. I have some Teton Gravity Research goggles with Zeiss Sonar lenses coming in the mail...I'll give them a look-through on some dark gray rain clouds before I have a chance to get to snow.

I was very pleased with my Dragon Lumalens goggles until...(a) the strap lost its stretch, and they don't sell replacements, (b) stored in the box over the summer the light lens darkened. Now the dim day and sunny day lenses are about the same density. Weird.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For no particularly defensible reason, I've always been a Leica guy. Where have they been in the eyewear department?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For no particularly defensible reason, I've always been a Leica guy. Where have they been in the eyewear department?

Somewhat active...

But nothing for ski goggles that I've seen.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you notice that the most directly-applicable-thing-to-googles (the lens coating) on that assembly is actually using a flooring coatings company trademark?
Should be sturdy then.

Reactions: mdf

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sonar looks intriguing, but Anon blew it off in favor of their proprietary Perceive lense technology. Where can you buy Zeiss Goggles?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sonar looks intriguing, but Anon blew it off in favor of their proprietary Perceive lense technology. Where can you buy Zeiss Goggles?
Anon M3s are still Zeiss. And awesome quick release. They are harder to come by, but still out there (some stores and Ebay).

I picked up Giro Contours to try this year because they're running Zeiss and the field view on those lenses are way bigger than the M3's and they have almost as easy an exchange system. M3's still way easier. You can one hand the M3's with gloves on; I have not found another lense that does that.

These Contours are pretty sweet, remind a little bit of Flight Decks. I like big fieldview though...as my kids say...I look like a giant bug!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anon M3s are still Zeiss. And awesome quick release. They are harder to come by, but still out there (some stores and Ebay).

I picked up Giro Contours to try this year because they're running Zeiss and the field view on those lenses are way bigger than the M3's and they have almost as easy an exchange system. M3's still way easier. You can one hand the M3's with gloves on; I have not found another lense that does that.

These Contours are pretty sweet, remind a little bit of Flight Decks. I like big fieldview though...as my kids say...I look like a giant bug!
Thanks, Zevo has their Magnetix that pops right on and off.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just checked something - Sierra is selling Giro Contacts for about 40% off. And you can get a women's version for over 60% off or about $75. I can't tell if there's a difference in the goggle size from what I'm reading, might just be color of strap. Maybe worth checking out. The contact is a bit older model v the "contour" but still run magnetic and Zeiss.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Where did Zevo come from? I remember a Revo company that made sunglasses but I am not familiar with Zevo.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Should be sturdy then.

Yeh. It's one of those things people don't expect - durable optical coatings developed for floors; anti-reflection coatings developed for the meat packing industry. I was actually just trying to think of which of the 4 separate entities under the Leica umbrella might have a transferable technology.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve got the Anon M4s and they initially had SONAR lenses. Bought a couple extra lenses for varying conditions. Liked them but don’t think the effect is a dramatic as Zeiss’ video but noticed a diff when back in the trees on overcast days.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve got the Anon M4s and they initially had SONAR lenses. Bought a couple extra lenses for varying conditions. Liked them but don’t think the effect is a dramatic as Zeiss’ video but noticed a diff when back in the trees on overcast days.
In the trees on an overcast day is NOT where you need help. It is on slopes that are open with few or no trees. I have never experienced flat light in the trees.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
In the trees on an overcast day is NOT where you need help. It is on slopes that are open with few or no trees. I have never experienced flat light in the trees.
I can only comment on where it was noticeable or they made a difference for MY EYES.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can only comment on where it was noticeable or they made a difference for MY EYES.
And what I am saying is there is no "Flat Light" in the trees because there are shadows . What causes flat light is equal light coming from all directions. I thought what we were discussing is lenses to combat flat light.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is my experience as well. Perfect excuse to head for the trees when it gets flat out.

now hauling ass down a chopped up groomer in flat light, can’t see chit. Can’t see variations in terrain, snowpack, ruts, nada.

pop into a crudded up bowl in flat light, can big bigger trouble.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have Smith Chromapop lenses for Sunny Days, and Every Day, and they are good, but it is the Storm lens (fog is a 4 letter word to the ski industry) on the foggy days that really makes the colours pop and enhances clarity.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So I’m curious if Zeiss makes lenses for other goggle brands, because I’ve seen Sonar lenses intended for flat light listed by other brands, and I just ordered one for my Abom goggles. I think I recall somewhere in the Pug/SkiTalksphere mentioned that Abom used Carl Zeiss lenses, but I can’t find it on their website.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January