• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Press Release: Indy Pass New Partners and Going on Sale - See details

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
INDY SIGNS 11 NEW PARTNERS - NOW ON SALE TO THE PUBLIC ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS UNTIL SOLD OUT

Powderhorn, Wisp, and Wintergreen Lead the Class of 24/25

Four cat skiing operators added + OpenSnow Membership

Adult Base Pass $349 Kids $199​

GRANBY, COLORADO—Indy Pass announced today that seven new Alpine resorts and four cat skiing operations have been added to the 2024/25 Pass. For a limited time, passes will be available for purchase by the general public starting today, March 8, on a first-come, first-served basis until sold out. Last spring, the Indy Pass sold out in 10 days.

New Alpine Resorts Include:
  • Big Moose Mountain, Maine
  • Mt. Eyak, Alaska
  • Mt. Washington Alpine Resort, British Columbia
  • Powderhorn Mountain Resort, Colorado
  • Steeplechase, Minnesota
  • Wintergreen Resort, Virginia
  • Wisp Resort, Maryland
New discounted cat skiing operations Include:
  • Big Red Cats, British Columbia
  • Selkirk Powder, Idaho
  • Brundage Mountain Snowcat Adventures, Idaho
  • Soldier Mountain Cat Skiing, Idaho
Cat skiing is a new addition to the Indy Pass. Alpine passholders will receive a 10% discount when they book day seats or packaged visits.

Indy Pass expects nearly all current resorts to return, including 100% of its New England partners, such as Jay Peak, Waterville Valley, Cannon, Pats Peak, Bolton Valley, Catamount, Berkshire East, and Saddleback.

"These 11 new partners are just the beginning of our additions for next season; we are nowhere close to done," said Indy Pass director Erik Mogensen. "We will work hard over the off-season to enlist more independent resorts from all ski regions globally."
Public Pass Pricing
24/25 Pricing
Indy Base Pass $349 Adult / $199 Kids (12-and-under)
Indy+ Pass $469 Adult / $259 Kids (no blackouts)
Indy AddOn Base $269 Adult / $149 Kids
Indy AddOn+ Pass $469 Adult / $259 Kids (no blackouts)
XC Pass - $99 Adult / $49 Kids

"While the corporate passes and resorts are raising prices on everything from lift tickets to parking and concessions, Indy Pass guarantees access to more than 200 resorts next season for a ridiculously low price," said Indy Pass Founder Doug Fish.
AddOn Pass Returns
Season passholders at any Indy Partner Resort will again receive 25% off all pass products by purchasing the Indy AddOn Pass. The Indy AddOn Pass aims to support season pass sales for all of Indy's Partners while providing a unique opportunity to sample other independent resorts.

200 Resort Guarantee
Passholders may request a refund for an unused pass before December 1, 2024, if the number of Indy Pass resort partners is less than 200 by November 15, 2024. A passholder can also request a refund for an unused pass by December 1, 2024, if their favorite resort from the 23/24 season does not renew for 24/25.

OpenSnow Trial Membership
All 24/25 passholders will receive a free trial to OpenSnow All-Access, your trusted source for the most accurate weather forecast, snow report, high-resolution weather maps, and ski conditions information.

About the Indy Pass
The Indy Pass is the fastest-growing multi-mountain pass in the world. It will provide two-day access to 200+ Alpine and Nordic resorts across the US, Canada, Europe, and Japan. Most Indy resorts are independently owned and operated by multi-generational families, providing a uniquely authentic and affordable skiing experience.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh wow. I guess PGRI found Jay’s affiliation with Indy Pass to be beneficial and is doubling down for its other resorts.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice pass even if you use it little.

I can re-coup my cost if I ski my two closest hills twice each, and come out ahead after that. I just hit Wisconsin for a few hills and benefit.

This easy on the Base Pass since my locals have no black out dates.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe a topic for new thread but Snowbrains noted pricing over last 4 years:

Bob V

Booting up
Skier
Maybe a topic for new thread but Snowbrains noted pricing over last 4 years:

Not a big fan of graphics comparing Indy with Epic/Ikon... this is just not the same product at all. Indy has definitely great value (and I just renewed it) but it is just not a multi-resort pass like Epic/Ikon with extensive and unlimited access to major resorts. If you ski a lot in the winter you probably have another sort of unlimited pass somewhere.
And it is still difficult to build a vacation ski week only on it.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a big fan of graphics comparing Indy with Epic/Ikon... this is just not the same product at all. Indy has definitely great value (and I just renewed it) but it is just not a multi-resort pass like Epic/Ikon with extensive and unlimited access to major resorts. If you ski a lot in the winter you probably have another sort of unlimited pass somewhere.
And it is still difficult to build a vacation ski week only on it.
True,

they're different products but I suspect their backhanded comment is that inflation is inflation, and the argument could be made that all the pass sites experience it.

So why has IKON and EPIC increased much more than Indy or perhaps one's local resort? I know Indy added quite a few additional destinations and while their business model is different, overall each of the three's (Ikon, Epic, Indy) haven't changed much within oneself.

I still buy the Ikon, I grump about the yearly increases as for me, I see little gain. I lost out when Winter Park and Steamboat dumped the Rocky Mountain Super Plus Pass ... way more cost effective for me at least for ROI.

Anyhow, food for thought, all in how one spins the numbers.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
So why has IKON and EPIC increased much more than Indy or perhaps one's local resort? I know Indy added quite a few additional destinations and while their business model is different, overall each of the three's (Ikon, Epic, Indy) haven't changed much within oneself.
IKON and EPIC increase much more because Alterra/Vail actually BUY mountains!

Indy is strictly partners. Strictly profit sharing.

Alterra/Vail own the mountains, unlimited skiing. A true season pass. (Except the Epic "session pass", which is just pre-paid discount day tickets.)

Indy has zero unlimited skiing. It isn't a season pass. It's more like the Epic Session Pass, basically pre-paid day ticket packs.

Epic Session pass & Indy pass should be called multi-mountain pre-paid ticket packs. There're other ticket pacts like that in New England. The price is only reflecting the day ticket price of the resorts included in the pack.

Last edited:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
They lost a major player out in Utah this season though, right? Powder Mountain or something like that? I think it was near Salt Lake City.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IKON and EPIC increase much more because Alterra/Vail actually BUY mountains!

Indy is strictly partners. Strictly profit sharing.

Alterra/Vail own the mountains, unlimited skiing. A true season pass. (Except the Epic "session pass", which is just pre-paid discount day tickets.)

Indy has zero unlimited skiing. It isn't a season pass. It's more like the Epic Session Pass, basically pre-paid day ticket packs.

Epic Session pass & Indy pass should be called multi-mountain pre-paid ticket packs. There're other ticket pacts like that in New England. The price is only reflecting the day ticket price of the resorts included in the pack.
All true but in all cases the prices are based on avg skier days which Ikon and Epic know.

It would be interesting if the avg skier days for any of the passes change significantly with added resorts.

Ikon and Epic's increases and Indy's flatness is really just supply and demand.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So why has IKON and EPIC increased much more than Indy or perhaps one's local resort?
Because customers will pay it and one is a public company and the other is owned by private equity. Shareholders and limited partners invested in Alterra and Vail expecting growth in revenue, profitability and equity value. Increasing prices over time is one of the levers executives can pull to deliver that.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
All true but in all cases the prices are based on avg skier days which Ikon and Epic know.

It would be interesting if the avg skier days for any of the passes change significantly with added resorts.

Ikon and Epic's increases and Indy's flatness is really just supply and demand.
I'm not sure they reflect the same skier demographic though.

Epic in particular, bought out a bunch of mountains in the northeast. Many people who never travel had no choice but "convert" to Epic when their home mountain got bought out. To a lessor degree, same with IKON. Put another way, a lot of EPIC/IKON buyers are captive audience. If they have a ski house in one of those mountains, they have to pay whatever the price of the pass.

Indy isn't targeting season pass buyers. Indy buyers do the calculation to decide if the "ticket pack" is worth it. Given the terrible season we had in the northeast, a lot of those buyers ended up losing money. I don't know if they're all buying Indy again.

In the northeast, a lot of Indy buyers are "supplementing" their IKON/EPIC pass with Indy for variety. With IKON/EPIC raising prices, there's pressure for them to "reconsider" whether it's worth it to add the Indy again.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure they reflect the same skier demographic though.

Epic in particular, bought out a bunch of mountains in the northeast. Many people who never travel had no choice but "convert" to Epic when their home mountain got bought out. To a lessor degree, same with IKON. Put another way, a lot of EPIC/IKON buyers are captive audience. If they have a ski house in one of those mountains, they have to pay whatever the price of the pass.

Indy isn't targeting season pass buyers. Indy buyers do the calculation to decide if the "ticket pack" is worth it. Given the terrible season we had in the northeast, a lot of those buyers ended up losing money. I don't know if they're all buying Indy again.

In the northeast, a lot of Indy buyers are "supplementing" their IKON/EPIC pass with Indy for variety. With IKON/EPIC raising prices, there's pressure for them to "reconsider" whether it's worth it to add the Indy again.
Fully agree

But most companies will base price on tradeoffs. Didnt ikon limit days at Jackson hole?

That was some fun reading, and suspect kept days to add value to coax other region buyers to consider buying.

Indy does try and coax some less traveling folks with add on. If you buy seasonal at a indy pass mountain, add-on drops the indy price by $100 I believe

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Didnt ikon limit days at Jackson hole?
No. It's zero days unless you pay extra for the plus or full IKON. And I don't believe it's any sort of money trade off. Jackson locals got upset about the crowding. So it got moved into the more expensive passes to lessen the crowding.

There's a also big difference between 2 days and 5 days for travelers. 5 is just enough for people who're flying in for a week. 2 days? No even close. A lot of people go to places there're "cluster" of mountains to stretch the 5 days into a full week of 8-10 days. But it's much harder to "string together" 2 or more if those 2 days from the Indy.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. It's zero days unless you pay extra for the plus or full IKON. And I don't believe it's any sort of money trade off. Jackson locals got upset about the crowding. So it got moved into the more expensive passes to lessen the crowding.

There's a also big difference between 2 days and 5 days for travelers. 5 is just enough for people who're flying in for a week. 2 days? No even close. A lot of people go to places there're "cluster" of mountains to stretch the 5 days into a full week of 8-10 days. But it's much harder to "string together" 2 or more if those 2 days from the Indy.
Agreed, I have the full pass which as hinted was unlimited till the backlash-Jackson Hole.

Yes, big delta between 2 days and either base or full pass, hence comment on if it works for your situation.

My only comment was on % increases which I still feel is interesting.

I wouldn't have gotten indy if it were up 30% over 3 yrs back.

Ikon, I'm tetering on given my situation for it's increases. I really need 2 full 5 day trips for it to really pay off.

Just saying, others milage may differ

Cheers

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
My only comment was on % increases which I still feel is interesting.

I wouldn't have gotten indy if it were up 30% over 3 yrs back.
It is "interesting" but I don't claim to know why.

It's different from my viewpoint. I have several Indy mountains within easy reach of me. So it's strictly "how many days I can realistically get to use it" vs the total cost. I think most people I ski with also falls into this category.

Long before the mega pass coming into existence, I used to buy local "ticket packs". 3 packs for mountain A, 4 packs for mountain B, etc. Problem was, I could never got them right. Some years, I didn't get enough and had to pay window price. Other years, I ended up skiing in the rain just to "use up" the tickets. I have little enthusiasm to buy a giant "ticket pack" mislabeled as "pass". ;)

The root issue is we have a short and erratic season. Just because I can get to them doesn't mean they're in conditions worthy of burning the "days". With the lousy season we've got this year, most people are losing money, unless they start skiing in the rain. ;)

The odd thing is, with IKON, because it's unlimited, I go even when condition is iffy. A few hours one day, half a day stretches into a full day the other. I end up using more "days". And since I'm not "burning" the limited days, I don't feel guilty leaving after 2 runs if condition is not enjoyable. That's the difference between a true pass and a ticket pack masquerading as a pass.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is "interesting" but I don't claim to know why.

It's different from my viewpoint. I have several Indy mountains within easy reach of me. So it's strictly "how many days I can realistically get to use it" vs the total cost. I think most people I ski with also falls into this category.

Long before the mega pass coming into existence, I used to buy local "ticket packs". 3 packs for mountain A, 4 packs for mountain B, etc. Problem was, I could never got them right. Some years, I didn't get enough and had to pay window price. Other years, I ended up skiing in the rain just to "use up" the tickets. I have little enthusiasm to buy a giant "ticket pack" mislabeled as "pass". ;)

The root issue is we have a short and erratic season. Just because I can get to them doesn't mean they're in conditions worthy of burning the "days". With the lousy season we've got this year, most people are losing money, unless they start skiing in the rain. ;)

The odd thing is, with IKON, because it's unlimited, I go even when condition is iffy. A few hours one day, half a day stretches into a full day the other. I end up using more "days". And since I'm not "burning" the limited days, I don't feel guilty leaving after 2 runs if condition is not enjoyable.
Two thumbs up on this

For me, best to use early or like you, feel pushed for it to pay out. Indy that is.

Sponsor

Staff online