• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

In Praise of Skiing the Blues (and Greens)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amazing the amount of Ski Patrol "rescues"
I've seen this season on blue runs with visitors getting in over their heads...
It comes from sheer exhaustion! Those runs will beat you to death.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, let’s go to Telluride!
Pretty spectacular scenery. In the top 5 US no doubt. #1?
Afaik, no leg assist braces used here. I think he could’ve greened it the whole way, but ducked onto that steep blue.

Telluride has been on my bucket list as I saw it on one survey as #1 for scenic beauty at ski resorts. Unfortunately, it is Epic, not Ikon...

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Time and again, while chatting (a rare thing I do on lifts, and only if I am up to, otherwise I tend to remain silent and keep to myself) the chat goes :"oh, is this a black/red/blue/green run? Is it difficult?".
I inevitably reply: "I wouldn't know, they are all white to me".

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, let’s go to Telluride!
Pretty spectacular scenery. In the top 5 US no doubt. #1?
Afaik, no leg assist braces used here. I think he could’ve greened it the whole way, but ducked onto that steep blue.

That steep shot he took after passing under the gondola station was Milk Run, actually a black. It looked like he wanted to take See Forever (blue) as far as possible, and to get to the Chair7/8 base area, Milk Run is about the only groomed option. It's been 8-9 years since I've skied Telluride; I've probably put in more miles there than at any other resort. That video almost brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for posting the video!

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
The blue runs in Taos don’t get enough appreciation but I love them. I’m not good enough to enjoy gnarly steeps and trees but love Taos’ blues and easy blacks. And the long blue runs in Purgatory, Wolf Creek, and Telluride - pure joy of gliding down the run, as some said, that isn’t trying to kill you
Runs like Lonestar and Japanese Flag Glade don't get the love they deserve. :snow:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Runs like Lonestar and Japanese Flag Glade don't get the love they deserve. :snow:
I was sad about Japanese Flag Glade last season after the wind storm... curious to see how much they may have cleaned out - or not - in some of the glades in the offseason.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
I was sad about Japanese Flag Glade last season after the wind storm... curious to see how much they may have cleaned out - or not - in some of the glades in the offseason.
They're working to clear all of the fallen trees now, and *might* be done by opening day. Saying there's a lot to do is an understatement. Healthy trees with 24" trunks were snapped like twigs, or uprooted entirely.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
hmm missed this thread thus far. Don't really hold with greens as basically they are usually commute transitions or cattracks but blues are just fine. Often fail to distinguish in Europe between blues and reds anyway. The key to me is traffic and secondarily surface condition. Nice edgeable snow and a blue cruiser, not too wide can be a delight.

I like a bit of corkscrew and rollers for variety - Ridgerunner at Blackcomb is a great run as is Prosser at Northstar (15min/ lap goodness - I know it's marked as a black but it's spiritually a blue and the grading keeps the tourists off it)

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Banff Sunshine

Lake Louise, somewhat cloudy. Everyone raves about the vistas at Lake Louise, including Herman Maier.
Whistler Blackcomb has probably the best green/blue groomer run in North America. 5000+ vertical groomed run. Cruising for miles on green and blue while watching the scenery sounds like a dream. Did I mention the peak is only 7k feet, zero acclimation required.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Whistler Blackcomb has probably the best green/blue groomer run in North America. 5000+ vertical groomed run. Cruising for miles on green and blue while watching the scenery sounds like a dream. Did I mention the peak is only 7k feet, zero acclimation required.

W/B tends to be on the wet side. Makes for some icy surfaces after repeated grooming. The snow surfaces tends to be of better quality in UT & CO.

W/B often can be challenging in terms of visibility. I remember in 2017 gathering, taking a group across to ski Pakalolo. Saw sun on Couloir Extreme and had a change of plans. Got few complains about that couloir being on next day's agenda. I said we are skiing it since the sun is on it. Few bailed and continued to Pakalolo instead. The sun never shone on that couloir for the next six days of the gathering.

This is a pic @Lady_Salina posted of W/B in 2017.

1659126354917.jpeg

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ripping GS turns on a firm, groomed blue is like driving a Miata. You are less likely to be a danger to yourself or the general public on the flatter terrain and lower speeds but you can get the pop from a good turn.

Sponsor