• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Importance of Calf Fit???

Paul Tocko

Booting up
Skier
Am working on "breaking in" a pair of Head Raptor RS 140's and have a question on the importance of calf fit. Shell fit is good (tight) on both feet - a little over a pencil width for both feet at the heel with toes all the way to the front (with no liner). Left foot will probably need some punching in the 6t toe area (typically something I need). but I was able to ski for 4 hours with minor discomfort. I'm going to give them a couple of more days on the snow before I start making room because honestly I think the work that will need to be done is quite minor and I'd like to see how the liners settle in before doing anything major.

That said - I didn't realize that my calf measurements left to right are quite different. My left top 2 buckles I was on the first or second "tooth" and the fit was quite snug. On the right top 2 buckles I was on the 4th tooth and had to keep tightening throughout the day. I had forgotten how different my calves were as my current boots have intuition liners so they were molded to my feet with the buckles in similar positions side to side. I actually wanted to verify what I had to do on the hill by measuring my calves and sure enough my right is 2cm smaller than my left.

Now my question is - from a boot fitting perspective does this area really matter or should I just work this area with the buckles?? To be clear - I have great heel hold and from the ankles to the toes both boots are very snug with very light buckle pressure. Its all in the calves and to the get the boots to feel the same in this area I have to buckle very different side to side. Not a big deal to me - I just want to know how a boot fitter would address.

For full disclosure - I did not get these boots at my normal shop who has been fitting boots to me, my wife and our kids for 30 years (same boot fitter). They are pair that a friend of mine purchased and they didn't work out for him. I'm able to give them a try and buy for relatively cheap.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Very important. More push back from snow, more important. However, since you're in a stiff tight fitting boot, there's more leeway. Problem with tightening the cuff a huge amount is it pulls the cuff towards the buckle. Even normal buckling does this. I would pad outside the liner in the calf area. You might need the fitter. No big deal, they work by hour also.

TS
Paul Tocko

Paul Tocko

Booting up
Skier
James - I think I get what you're saying. But let me ask - would putting a spoiler in on the right foot accomplish the same thing? But I now get that I need something to take up the room of a smaller right calf. By just tightening the buckles my right leg would be more "upright" as it would be pulled tighter against the back of the boot - correct??

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why not move your Intuition Liners. They can be rebaked up to three times and they seemed to fix your problem in your previous boot.

TS
Paul Tocko

Paul Tocko

Booting up
Skier
Why not move your Intuition Liners. They can be rebaked up to three times and they seemed to fix your problem in your previous boot.

I'm not getting rid of my technica's - I'm just adding a boot to the rotation if you will. Not ruling out intuitions down the road for the Heads but that would be longer term.

James

Out There
Instructor
James - I think I get what you're saying. But let me ask - would putting a spoiler in on the right foot accomplish the same thing? But I now get that I need something to take up the room of a smaller right calf. By just tightening the buckles my right leg would be more "upright" as it would be pulled tighter against the back of the boot - correct??
Well spoiler will take up room in back so yeah. They also make foam rubber wedges for that go a ways down the back. The thing is there's still the sides.
How the cuff pulls your leg is very person dependant. It not only pulls back but sideways. Drives me crazy. I usually wish I could get a boot that lets my leg stay like when the cuff is loose, but is a snug fit. Right now I'm skiing with loose top buckles .
As far as Intuition- is it a tongue? I doubt it'll take up space. Heat molding compresses the tight spots. Afaik.

TS
Paul Tocko

Paul Tocko

Booting up
Skier
As far as Intuition- is it a tongue? I doubt it'll take up space. Heat molding compresses the tight spots. Afaik.

Intuition Liner - heat it up, put it on and put it in your boot. It starts out quite a bit thicker than a stock liner so going through the fit process can be somewhat painful or at least uncomfortable. It molds to the inside of your boot shell and to your foot / leg - very customized fit. Closed cell foam so very dense - almost hard once cured. I've had two set's of boots with them and like them a lot. That said - I tend to ski the stock liner until they start to pack out and replace with intuitions as they are no more than a replacement Technica / Head / Lange liner ($200).

I'll work with foam pads on my right calf - I have some from previously stock liners. All-in-all I'm pretty pleased with how the heads felt - while there was discomfort and some fit issues they didn't prevent me from skiing and while I brought my Mach 1's I never felt even close to having to swap out. Just need to take up some volume in my right calf area and go from there.

Thanks for the responses - appreciate the help!!

Sponsor

Staff online