• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you are thinking about an Alltrack, get it now ...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not surprised. We have just over 50K on ours and plan on driving it to 200K, so another 6-7 years...we will see what is avialable then.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another great decision by VW NA. :rolleyes:

To be fair, it was a pretty simple business decision, since sales had dropped off precipitously.

Too many people like @Philpug planning to keep their first one forever, I guess!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another great decision by VW NA. :rolleyes:
To be fair, it was a pretty simple business decision, since sales had dropped off precipitously.
I agree with Tom, a better decision would not to have even offered it in the first place and pushed the new Tiguan up sooner. As much as the dozens of people like me who have carried the wagon torch, and even though they would be more logical decisions for most people, we knwo how little logic plays into a purchase like this. People do not and will not buy wagons no matter how much cladding you put on them...other than Subaru.

TS
Dadskier

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I agree with Tom, a better decision would not to have even offered it in the first place and pushed the new Tiguan up sooner. As much as the dozens of people like me who have carried the wagon torch, and even though they would be more logical decisions for most people, we knwo how little logic plays into a purchase like this. People do not and will not buy wagons no matter how much cladding you put on them...other than Subaru.

They also didn't promote them very hard. The Atlas and new Tiguan both came out right after the Alltrack and I'm sure provide larger margins so they got all the marketing budget.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would be be having this conversation if there was not a Dieselgate and there was a diesel Alltrack? JSW sales were pretty good in 2012 at around 26K units, could that number jumped in the 30K's with a diesel Alltrack? Would that still have been enough to keep it? Considering that there might have been a diesel Tiguan at that point too.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like our Alltrack and am bummed that they're going this route. :(

James

Out There
Instructor
Well how is Suburu doing with their wagon?

Does the Alltrack come in Metallic Pea?

Btw, a replica Wagon Queen Family Truckster built for Beverly D'Angelo just sold for $91k.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Did you guys see that Requiem for Ford episode of The Grand Tour? Same problem - premium marques and Crossover/SUV madness killing the practical workhorse.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crossing a few forum boundaries here with hope:

The wagon problem reminds me of the current state of mountain biking. Up until this year, it seemed like EVERY mfg was in a race to make darn near every bike lower (lousy pedaling in rugged terrain) and slacker up front (boring, truck-like handling in tight, snappy trails).

This made most bikes the equivalent of a fat rockered ski. Easy? Yup. Exciting and engaging? Not always. Dang it, I want an FIS slalom ski mtb equivalent in my quiver!

Luckily, recently, several bikes have been released bucking this trend at least a bit, by having a bit more travel than a pure xc race machine, but preserving some or most of their exciting, engaging handling:

Giant Trance
Trek Top Fuel
Yeti SB100
Pivot 429 SL
And others!

So, maybe wagons will make a comeback some day, like shorter travel, whippier mtbs have!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Tough to do a convincing 'rolling coal' with a wagon.

(Hope parts aren't an issue going forward. I was planning on keeping my Alltrack a long time.)

Sponsor

Staff online