• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ice coast groomer cruiser..?

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to look at for a new ski. Usually I'm skiing Ontario ice, and for the smaller hills i'm usually on, my 167 K2 Amp Rictors do the job just fine. The rictors are supposedly 17m skis but with the rocker they seem to ski a lot shorter.. I want something that's more GS sized for when I head to Blue Mountain or Quebec. I'm thinking something with minimal rocker as it's rare for me to ever ski more then a few inches of new snow.

I'm looking for something that skis longer that I can be a bit more aggressive and go faster with but can still cruise for extended periods of time without having to be on it like a race ski would demand.. I'm 6' - 155lb advanced intermediate I'd guess. I like to ski arc to arc, more centered than forward, I don't really ski the trees or bumps because they're usually bulletproof when I get to them.. and when I do get into them my Rictors serve me well enough.

Not really sure what to look at.. The place where I got my boots (considering the work they've done I feel comfortable with their advice) was pointing me towards Dynastar Course Speed Fluid in a 175 but at $650+tx it's more than I can justify for the 5-6 times a year i'll be using them.

Just looking for something to put a smile on my face from first to last chair that will continue to challenge me to ski better but that's forgiving enough it isn't going send me ass over tea kettle when I inevitably screw up.

Looking closer to the $500CDN with bindings.. previous season skis are ok, who doens't like a deal... I missed most of the local demo days as my saturdays are spent taking my daughter to a very small local hill for lessons.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
well the reality is I would look for something with no rocker.....

find a shorter master GS ski and do not look back if you can find them. The Dynstar mentioned is the right choice. Rocker(real rocker and not just marketing) on a flat out groomer skis is silly, and can cause the tip to float up when they hit small piles of crud. It my biggest issue with my Brahmas on groomers is that when hitting push piled piles of crud that the tip float and cause the entire ski to loose grip. Admittedly they are not my most groomer ski but just giving you an example of why to avoid rocker...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds like you are looking for a deal or a leftover ski. Demo's won't help you too much there because they are designed to promote the latest and greatest. Narrower and longer turn radius for ice and going fast, sounds like you might consider a cheater GS ski, TR's will be in the 17-18M range. @Josh Matta also just posted that as I was typing. If you like the feel of your Rictor can find a K2 Amp Charger, that might also suit your needs, similar feel with much more horsepower.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Funny, I ski at Blue Mtn, but, it's in Pennsyvania, and, both have ice coast hard snow groomers. I bought a pair of used FIS Slalom skis in 165 and they put a smile on my face when on hard snow. My thinking is that GS skis begin to come to life after 25 mph, and, they are not that much fum for an aspiring skier, especially at a smaller, crowded mountain. At your weight, a 160 Sl would do fine. So, how fast you ski is an issue in deciding between GS and Sl. Racers frequently sell used equipment that is very well maintained. It may take a little while to find one. You could open a thread in the used gear for sale forum of Pugski, stating your are looking for a east coast carver. A used Dynastar Course would a good find, more GS than Sl, but, don't lock into a specific manufacturer.

Maybe a little off topic, but, I'm not sure rocker vs non-rocker is important in what you seek. I agree with what Josh says above about that issue.

TS
WheatKing

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
I like my Rictors so the chargers are an option.. found some 2014's Chargers with bindings for $399 so that's good.. I found some Dynastar Chrome 78 with r20 race plate and look spx12 bindings.. close to the right price point.. too much ski? Rocker isn't something i'm looking for.. it's pointless for groomers anyway.. What are these TR's you speak of?

What other options are there in this master GS class of skis?

Livingproof: My rictors are SL enough.. they are easy for when I'm skiing with the kids and for the small hills I'm normally on (300vert) but lose their marbles when pushed up around the 35mph mark.. i can make short or long turns.. and with a 4 degree on the edge the ice isn't an issue.. love these for what they're good at.. I'm looking for something for the bigger hills were I can open them up when I'm out with the guys..

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Elan GS cheater skis can be had for around $325 US with bindings.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Master GS skis make a really a good blended short(or brushed short turn). If you are looking for out right arc to arc though SL can be the way to go.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Interesting because I ski a tuned down slalom ski at Tremblant. Most of the instructors do the same. Dynastar, Rossi, Nordica and Blizzard seem to be the favorites with the guys. The gals are more, Head, Rossi, Blizzard. But all tuned down race model, and slalom, not GS.

I have a wider waist ski, but it doesn't like the hardpack we get. So it's the Whistler ski!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like my Rictors so the chargers are an option.. found some 2014's Chargers with bindings for $399 so that's good.. I found some Dynastar Chrome 78 with r20 race plate and look spx12 bindings.. close to the right price point.. too much ski? Rocker isn't something i'm looking for.. it's pointless for groomers anyway.. What are these TR's you speak of?

What other options are there in this master GS class of skis?

Livingproof: My rictors are SL enough.. they are easy for when I'm skiing with the kids and for the small hills I'm normally on (300vert) but lose their marbles when pushed up around the 35mph mark.. i can make short or long turns.. and with a 4 degree on the edge the ice isn't an issue.. love these for what they're good at.. I'm looking for something for the bigger hills were I can open them up when I'm out with the guys..

TR: Turn Radius.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
You know, I re read your initial post, and it sounds like you are looking for the skis you already own.

I hunted down the same animal this season as well (good thing, too considering the paucity of soft snow in the east this year).

If you want a modern update for your skis with more pop and higher speed limit and you want it on the cheap, I can't say enough good things about the Salomon X Drive 80FS. It's basically a livier and racier version of the rictor. Ski it in a 175cm.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to look at for a new ski. Usually I'm skiing Ontario ice, and for the smaller hills i'm usually on, my 167 K2 Amp Rictors do the job just fine. The rictors are supposedly 17m skis but with the rocker they seem to ski a lot shorter.. I want something that's more GS sized for when I head to Blue Mountain or Quebec. I'm thinking something with minimal rocker as it's rare for me to ever ski more then a few inches of new snow.

I'm looking for something that skis longer that I can be a bit more aggressive and go faster with but can still cruise for extended periods of time without having to be on it like a race ski would demand.. I'm 6' - 155lb advanced intermediate I'd guess. I like to ski arc to arc, more centered than forward, I don't really ski the trees or bumps because they're usually bulletproof when I get to them.. and when I do get into them my Rictors serve me well enough.

Not really sure what to look at.. The place where I got my boots (considering the work they've done I feel comfortable with their advice) was pointing me towards Dynastar Course Speed Fluid in a 175 but at $650+tx it's more than I can justify for the 5-6 times a year i'll be using them.

Just looking for something to put a smile on my face from first to last chair that will continue to challenge me to ski better but that's forgiving enough it isn't going send me ass over tea kettle when I inevitably screw up.

Looking closer to the $500CDN with bindings.. previous season skis are ok, who doens't like a deal... I missed most of the local demo days as my saturdays are spent taking my daughter to a very small local hill for lessons.

I ski the same areas you do, consider some used GS skis from ScotsSkier. My SL set came from him. Additionally check out the Ontario ski association classifieds for skis.

Some of the ski shops in Collingwood also have some good equipment (haven't been up this year so I can't advise much).

Consider a GS cheater for the GS turns and a FIS SL (Dynastar/Rossi more forgiving).

My 2cents, rounded to 5 in Canada;)

TS
WheatKing

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
You know, I re read your initial post, and it sounds like you are looking for the skis you already own.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least LOL!

I hunted down the same animal this season as well (good thing, too considering the paucity of soft snow in the east this year).

If you want a modern update for your skis with more pop and higher speed limit and you want it on the cheap, I can't say enough good things about the Salomon X Drive 80FS. It's basically a livier and racier version of the rictor. Ski it in a 175cm.

I'll have a look at those.. thanks.

TS
WheatKing

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
If you like the feel of your Rictor can find a K2 Amp Charger, that might also suit your needs, similar feel with much more horsepower.

Is there any difference between the years of the charger other than the topsheet graphics?

Sponsor

Staff online